Photographing shooting stars with an iPhone

Excellent tutorial Chris, thanks! Here is my first effort (iPhone 4s)...

image.jpg

Exposed for about one hour, saved as a tiff. I then used Filterstorm Neue as a single app solution for a little noise reduction, brightness, and contrast adjustment, because the sky isn't really dark where I am.

Excellent tutorial Chris, thanks! Here is my first effort (iPhone 4s)...

View attachment 56559

Exposed for about one hour, saved as a tiff. I then used Filterstorm Neue as a single app solution for a little noise reduction, brightness, and contrast adjustment, because the sky isn't really dark where I am.

Glad you found it helpful, and great shot! No shooting stars I think, but lovely star trails.

I’m happy to see people found this tutorial useful and are getting some good use from the app :) It’s really fantastic to see people create something interesting with my apps after all the months of hard work.

If anyone has any problems with the app or any questions on how to use it / get the best out of it, please ask - either here or by email (chris (at) interealtime.com) or on twitter (@interealtime / @nightcapapp).

And if you’re finding it useful, please leave a review on the app store, even if it’s just 1 word (word, not star! ;)) as it really helps.

It’s very frustrating when customers have a problem with either the app or the phone, and instead of contacting me for help they leave a bad review on the app store. Then I can’t contact them to help :(

These shots are great and the tutorial very informative. I'm hoping for a clear night this weekend to give this a try. I know this is a bit off topic, but what is the best way to take a shot of the moon? Sometimes, I see the moon looking so big and close, but when I try to snap a shot of it with my iPad Mini 2, it always just ends up looking like a distant street light.

These shots are great and the tutorial very informative. I'm hoping for a clear night this weekend to give this a try. I know this is a bit off topic, but what is the best way to take a shot of the moon? Sometimes, I see the moon looking so big and close, but when I try to snap a shot of it with my iPad Mini 2, it always just ends up looking like a distant street light.

The moon is actually quite tricky to photograph with an iPhone, since the moon is very bright on a very dark background. The automatic focus and exposure controls don't handle that well, so you generally get a white blob on a black background.

It is possible to photograph it with a few tricks, but the results aren't really worth the effort. The moon is too small, you really need a zoom lens to get anything passable - it's just one of those (increasingly rare :)) cases where you need a "proper" camera with a big lens.

The moon is actually quite tricky to photograph with an iPhone, since the moon is very bright on a very dark background. The automatic focus and exposure controls don't handle that well, so you generally get a white blob on a black background.

It is possible to photograph it with a few tricks, but the results aren't really worth the effort. The moon is too small, you really need a zoom lens to get anything passable - it's just one of those (increasingly rare :)) cases where you need a "proper" camera with a big lens.
Okay....so it's not just me. Lol

Back
Top Bottom