• > STAY HOME & STAY SAFE! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

Photographs As Memories

RHKing

MobiAddict
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert H King
Device
iPhone X
Hi.
I’ve not been here for what seems like a lifetime. Going through a creative wilderness stage (again) so not been producing much new work. Nice to see this place still thriving. I have redesigned my website in a bid to get the creative flow going and have started writing again. Here is a link to a piece about the importance of photographs as memories. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

I hope this finds everyone here well and safe......

https://www.rhking.net/post/photographs-as-memories-1

AABB2E0A-3E40-4479-BF5D-6A0B620117D9.jpeg

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Interesting blog post Robert, my childhood was different. We always had cameras around, cheap ones but camera's all the same. Polaroids too at one stage. My mother was very much into recording things and she would invariably drag us into one of those old photo booths they had in railway stations when going on holiday. Usually to Great Yarmouth or Skegness, cheap and cheerful, we were a railway family so we went where the trains took us. So happily there are still photos about from the 60's and 70's of my brothers and myself, of my parents long gone and those strange family parties that don't seem to happen anymore!

I slightly disagree about printing, we have albums and boxes of photos that rarely get looked at, but my digital library is in constant use.
For me, something doesn't need to be physical, like music for instance, I'm happy to stream stuff, that physical touch means nothing to me and don't get me started on DVD's etc, why bother with all that clutter when you can have Netflix :)

Nice image btw :thumbs:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Hi.
I’ve not been here for what seems like a lifetime. Going through a creative wilderness stage (again) so not been producing much new work. Nice to see this place still thriving. I have redesigned my website in a bid to get the creative flow going and have started writing again. Here is a link to a piece about the importance of photographs as memories. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

View attachment 157638
ROBERT!!! We’ve missed you! I haven’t read the post yet, but I will. I just wanted to say we’d missed you.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Hi.

View attachment 157638
Oh my goodness, those old photographs of yours could have been my family photos - they’re so like the ones we used to have at home. On a rainy day, I used to mooch about in the unrestored part of our old 16th century house (not posh I assure you - no inside toilet etc etc), and I would find old cameras, films (used and unused) and black and white photographs of people who I’d never met. These were all burned because of deaths and renovations, so they don’t exist now. Even if they did, I wouldn’t know who the people were who posed and smiled so beautifully. The preciousness (is that a word?) of actual photos is in there not being that many remaining I think. Their rareness makes them so. Unlike my older siblings, I don’t have any photos of myself as a baby. The first photographs of me were taken when I was two (in a municipal garden in County Durham). I do have that one. My sister has lots of actual photographs and she displays them all over her house. It’s always lovely to scan them, remembering. But I find them a bit sad too, so it’s not something I’ll be replicating. You’ve made me think about the purpose of photographs nowadays. I haven’t come to any conclusions, but I’m enjoying the brain workout, so thank you.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Here is a link to a piece about the importance of photographs as memories.
Well done. I find myself in a much different situation regarding old family photos. After my mom died, all the boxes (and boxes!) of photos gravitated to my house since my sisters lived much farther away. So I have photos stretching back into the 19th century, with the earliest one being from the end of the Civil War (1865) of a great-grandfather in uniform. I even have some glass plate negatives and a cyanotype.

In other words, I'm swamped with old photos, and anyone who expresses an interest takes one look at the boxes and slips into a coma. One of my sisters and I combed through the boxes, trying to sort out which photos were dupes and which could be discarded. (Who are these malign-looking twin boys in matching clothes?) In many cases, though, we were unable to make a decision because even when neither of us found a photo interesting, we still wondered if somebody else would. (Not that succeeding generations have shown the least interest so far, you understand.)

Included in the stash are two albums, one made up by my mother when she was a young woman and one made up by my grandmother. Do we leave these intact or pull out the most interesting photos to highlight them?

If I leave them as they are, en masse, no one will look at them -- it's too much of a jumble -- but if we cull them, how do we pick the right ones, the ones that someone else will find some meaning in?

(Lorraine also has a large stock of family photos stretching back almost as far. At one point, I toyed with the idea of making up an album of parallel pages, her family on one page and mine on the facing page, tracing the chronology of the two up to the point where she and I met. But I quickly figured out that if I tackled that, I'd disappear from view -- and MobiTog -- for a couple of years, at least.)

RHKing

MobiAddict
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert H King
Device
iPhone X
Well done. I find myself in a much different situation regarding old family photos. After my mom died, all the boxes (and boxes!) of photos gravitated to my house since my sisters lived much farther away. So I have photos stretching back into the 19th century, with the earliest one being from the end of the Civil War (1865) of a great-grandfather in uniform. I even have some glass plate negatives and a cyanotype.

In other words, I'm swamped with old photos, and anyone who expresses an interest takes one look at the boxes and slips into a coma. One of my sisters and I combed through the boxes, trying to sort out which photos were dupes and which could be discarded. (Who are these malign-looking twin boys in matching clothes?) In many cases, though, we were unable to make a decision because even when neither of us found a photo interesting, we still wondered if somebody else would. (Not that succeeding generations have shown the least interest so far, you understand.)

Included in the stash are two albums, one made up by my mother when she was a young woman and one made up by my grandmother. Do we leave these intact or pull out the most interesting photos to highlight them?

If I leave them as they are, en masse, no one will look at them -- it's too much of a jumble -- but if we cull them, how do we pick the right ones, the ones that someone else will find some meaning in?

(Lorraine also has a large stock of family photos stretching back almost as far. At one point, I toyed with the idea of making up an album of parallel pages, her family on one page and mine on the facing page, tracing the chronology of the two up to the point where she and I met. But I quickly figured out that if I tackled that, I'd disappear from view -- and MobiTog -- for a couple of years, at least.)
That’s quite a story in itself... I’ll mull it over and respond properly later.

RHKing

MobiAddict
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert H King
Device
iPhone X
Oh my goodness, those old photographs of yours could have been my family photos - they’re so like the ones we used to have at home. On a rainy day, I used to mooch about in the unrestored part of our old 16th century house (not posh I assure you - no inside toilet etc etc), and I would find old cameras, films (used and unused) and black and white photographs of people who I’d never met. These were all burned because of deaths and renovations, so they don’t exist now. Even if they did, I wouldn’t know who the people were who posed and smiled so beautifully. The preciousness (is that a word?) of actual photos is in there not being that many remaining I think. Their rareness makes them so. Unlike my older siblings, I don’t have any photos of myself as a baby. The first photographs of me were taken when I was two (in a municipal garden in County Durham). I do have that one. My sister has lots of actual photographs and she displays them all over her house. It’s always lovely to scan them, remembering. But I find them a bit sad too, so it’s not something I’ll be replicating. You’ve made me think about the purpose of photographs nowadays. I haven’t come to any conclusions, but I’m enjoying the brain workout, so thank you.
Glad you found it interesting Jilly. I’ll get back to you with a decent reply soon..

rizole

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
I'm swamped with old photos,
Same.
With both my Mum and Dad both gone and the estate needing to be sorted out, I took the documents, papers and pictures.
I scanned and digitised All pictures up until the end of the 80's. After that the shear amount of pictures grew quite quickly and I needed to move on and didn't finish the job. It satisfied the oldies at the time.

the importance of photographs as memories
It is important and I've made people happy by digitising pictures and giving then a copy but I think I've reached a different place. I have over 70 thousand images on my hard drive, including all of my parent's output.
Who cares? Who will look at them? Most of them are not worth looking at frankly.

I’m starting to think the archive of pics I have is largely pointless and if I deleted it no one would notice.

I’ve also started thinking that taking pics and posting them is the point. It’s the journey. I’m not likely to delete all my pics but what I produced last year and the year beore I’m losing interest in.

All the stuff we save… maybe let it go.

Maybe not.

It's important either way.

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Same.
With both my Mum and Dad both gone and the estate needing to be sorted out, I took the documents, papers and pictures.
I scanned and digitised All pictures up until the end of the 80's. After that the shear amount of pictures grew quite quickly and I needed to move on and didn't finish the job. It satisfied the oldies at the time.

It is important and I've made people happy by digitising pictures and giving then a copy but I think I've reached a different place. I have over 70 thousand images on my hard drive, including all of my parent's output.
Who cares? Who will look at them? Most of them are not worth looking at frankly.

I’m starting to think the archive of pics I have is largely pointless and if I deleted it no one would notice.

I’ve also started thinking that taking pics and posting them is the point. It’s the journey. I’m not likely to delete all my pics but what I produced last year and the year beore I’m losing interest in.

All the stuff we save… maybe let it go.

Maybe not.

It's important either way.
Well said.