Podcasts

Try some of his personality theory lectures?
I've had to stop listening to him. He makes some good points and argumentds but is too certain in his own conclusions, even (and sometimes especially) too adamant in his own doubt. There's a few times he's stated something as fact something that's not, which I find unforgivable in someone of his position. David Attenborough wouldn't do it!!!!!!!!

I think he's too used to being listened to, too used to having what he says either respected or needed to be defended or justified, too used to his own status as a lecturer.

I haven’t gotten to that yet - though I must admit I’m selective. I’m entranced by the lectures on personality theory, Jung, archetypes, Solzhenitsyn.... his absolute across-ness of psychological/empirical research. And his (to me clearly) genuine desire to see the world engaged in civil intelligent conversation. And so far I’ve been impressed by his willingness to re-think something raised in a debate (Sam Harris) and to apologise (to Milo wossisname) for ‘not defending him as well as he should/could have’ in the heat of some rapid fire to & fro.

If there are specific lectures you can point me to, do pm me — break it to me gently, but I’ll encounter his feet of clay at some point so now’s as good a time as any
As I used ImageArt's phone for a few weeks, I'd deleted him off my feed on that phone. Now I'm back on my own, he's still on my download list so I've listened to a few more. I've evolved a better, more considered response to what I find problematic in his work to my previous one because of it.

He often takes a reductionist stance on things. There's nothing wrong with that, reduction is a form of abstraction and, as discussed elsewhere, that can be quite a powerful tool in your box. But Jordan B. makes the classic mistake of misidentifying his reductionist models as reality. His stuff is peppered with self fulfilling conversational justifications such as "This stuff is real!" and "It does, it really does!" and "That's just how you are, there's nothing you can do about it!", which he offers up as evidence or established argument. It really is a rookie mistake and as he identifies as coming from a scientific background, it's inexcusable in my (not so humble) opinion.

He also uses disengenous rhetorical devices to get his points across.
He often distances or abstracts himself out of his arguments and that has the effect of depersonalizing his points and generalising them out onto the external world. A common example of this is when he's talking through the thought processes he's gone through to arrive at a conclusion. He'll often use the phrase something to the effect of: "And then you think...." or "And then the conclusion you make...".

He couches these moments in the present tense as if they are always, already happening at that time and every time, which allows him to skip his argument onto the next point quickly, deflecting the listener from observation and critical thought as he runs ahead to get to his conclusion.

As I said before. Attenborough wouldn't do it! :angry:

The Bright Sessions.
It bills itself as a sci-fi drama. I'm not into podcast fiction much but this is well written, characterised and performed with some clever twists.

The Bright Sessions.
It bills itself as a sci-fi drama. I'm not into podcast fiction much but this is well written, characterised and performed with some clever twists.
It’s long, too. I got halfway through then lost track bcs I was listening both online and via Apple podcasts. Really interesting concept, I mainly agree that it’s well done. The dialogue and characterisation of one of the young female parts gets on my nerves - too adolescent and gushy.

2019 Review of my podcast highlights are as follows:

• Dear Joan and Jericha - Two Scottish Agony Aunts give advice in response to listeners letters. Absolute filth and offensive content played completely straight faced. Listener descretion absolutly advised.

• Women Like Us - Similar format to the one above. Two washed out journos start a new podcast. Not as offensive as Joan and jericha but adult content and played straight. Stars Katy Brand and Katherine Parkinson (Jen in the IT Crowd)

• Podcast radio hour - Amanda Litherland looks at and reviews podcasts - BBC Radio 4

• Everything is Alive - Unscripted interview show where innanimate objects are the ones being interviewed.

• Heavyweight - Johnathon Goldstein interviews and examines moments in people's lives where something profound that was stuck, changes, usually decades later. He's very good at mixing the heavy with moments of gentle humour. His relationship with his mum is hilarious.

• Realtime with Bill Maher. Podcast version of the TV show.

• The curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry - Science based podcast, aimed at a family audience without skipping some of the meatier subject matter. Fun and interesting.

• We Fix Space Junk - From thier website:
A female-led sci-fi comedy sitcom set in the far future, in a high-tech, dystopian world, We Fix Space Junk draws on the Sci-Fi of the past, following in the footsteps of Harry Harrison and of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. -- Equal parts love-letter to sci-fi and satire of the present-day, Space Junk has been lovingly produced by Battle Bird Productions.

• Dear Joan and Jericha - Two Scottish Agony Aunts give advice in response to listeners letters. Absolute filth and offensive content played completely straight faced. Listener descretion absolutly advised.

• Women Like Us - Similar format to the one above. Two washed out journos start a new podcast. Not as offensive as Joan and jericha but adult content and played straight. Stars Katy Brand and Katherine Parkinson (Jen in the IT Crowd)

• Podcast radio hour - Amanda Litherland looks at and reviews podcasts - BBC Radio 4

• Everything is Alive - Unscripted interview show where innanimate objects are the ones being interviewed.

• Heavyweight - Johnathon Goldstein interviews and examines moments in people's lives where something profound that was stuck, changes, usually decades later. He's very good at mixing the heavy with moments of gentle humour. His relationship with his mum is hilarious.

• The curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry - Science based podcast, aimed at a family audience without skipping some of the meatier subject matter. Fun and interesting.

We Fix Space Junk definitely sounds like my cup of tea, but I only see season 2. Is there a season 1 or are they messing with me?

We Fix Space Junk definitely sounds like my cup of tea, but I only see season 2. Is there a season 1 or are they messing with me?
I don't know where you're getting your feed from but the website has an RSS feed:
And an Itunes one:
Here's the US link if it makes a difference:

All 3 have all episodes listed afaict.

I don't know where you're getting your feed from but the website has an RSS feed:
And an Itunes one:
Here's the US link if it makes a difference:

All 3 have all episodes listed afaict.
Aha! For some reason Season 1 is listed after 2. I had to hit the “show all episodes” button. :rolleyes:

Great!

2 months of lockdown podcast review.

One of the things that's changed is I've now no morning and evening commute. On the other hand I've had much more time for myself, the garden and 2 to 7 hour hikes over moorlands and valleys. Podcasts are mostly keeping me company and I've found myself running out increasingly quickly.

Here's a round up of some new ones that have slotted into my regular schedule:

• 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back:
    Podcast book club where they discuss a best selling book that's actually quite bad. They start with "Ready player one" (Adult advisory)
  • Box of Delights:
    A review of significant UK TV events. Often Gen X centric so expect things like gladiators, The Who wants to be a millionaire debarcle, Zammo from Grange Hill, etc.
  • Gossip Mongers: Another UK based one where members of the public send in unsubstantiated rumours and stories to be read out and commented on by Joe Wilkinson and 2 others. Absolute filth!!!
  • The Dollop. 2 guys review and discuss episodes in American history. With a straight guy and funny guy dynamic and good storytelling. (Adult advisory)
  • The John Dredge Nothing to do with Anything Show. At times surreal, absurd or just silly comedy sketch podcast. Great production values given it's mostly a one man production.
I've just started The Anthropocene Reviewed today which seems promising, it's first episode dealing with Canada Geese and Diet Dr Pepper. Also listening to The Portal as recommended by zenjenny. Long form conversations between the host and guest covering often tough going ground and trying to find a way out to the other side.

Very interested in mobimember's suggestions should they/you have any.

I listen to MacBreak Weekly, Mac Power Users, Automators (sometimes), TWiT (sometimes), The Dalrymple Report, Beyond The Grid (Formula 1) The Dale Jr Download (NASCAR), and a few others now and again.
I also co-host on Tiny Shutter, the longest running podcast there is about iPhone photography, we often cover topics that are relevant to Android users as well, and I host my own show called The Artful iPhotography Interviews where I talk to folks about their mobile photography. I'd love to interview members of Mobitog too!

Thanks, Ted! That list should keep me occupied over 2021 :D

Back
Top Bottom