Populuxe's Swinging Space-Age Bachelor Pad & Mobile Photography Roundup

Love it. The BW makes those looong shadows and that sharp slash of light intriguing . . . As Starzee Star says, a definite story.

I also like the triangulation of the three figures - including the figure whose shadow cuts across the whole of the image, while his head (identity? intriguing) is out of frame. And I imagine both human figures looking at the dog, while the dog is looking directly at the viewer. A mystery.

pS: I‘m certain JillyG Jilly would like this image in this week’s BW thread
I would love it in the black and white challenge - but without the frame, which has some colour in it.

Love it. The BW makes those looong shadows and that sharp slash of light intriguing . . . As Starzee Star says, a definite story.

I also like the triangulation of the three figures - including the figure whose shadow cuts across the whole of the image, while his head (identity? intriguing) is out of frame. And I imagine both human figures looking at the dog, while the dog is looking directly at the viewer. A mystery.

pS: I‘m certain JillyG Jilly would like this image in this week’s BW thread
I do think there’s a story, but JillyG was the one who suggested it first. I believe the dog is in charge.

I visited Mount St Helens on Saturday. The last time I saw the mountain this close, it was from the window seat of a 707, the day before it erupted. I drove down the east side of the mountain to a place called Windy Ridge. It gave me a great view of both the mountain and Spirit Lake. For those unfamiliar with the story, there were a number of local residents who refused to leave Spirit Lake when the mountain started showing signs of a major eruption. When the mountain finally erupted, it was a lateral blast. The entire north side of the mountain simply gave way in a massive landslide. That released all the pent up pressure inside the mountain at once. Unfortunately for the people living around Spirit Lake, the force of the explosion was like a cannon pointed right at the lake. The lush dense forests surrounding the lake where flattened and the area scrubbed of life. The lake vaporized from the heat. The bodies of the residents were never found. Forty years later, the lake has refilled and some small brush is starting to grow back, but it still looks apocalyptic.

Mount St Helens (iPad mini 2, Hipstamatic (G2 lens, BlacKeys IR film))

Spirit Lake (iPad mini 2, Hipstamatic (G2 lens, BlacKeys IR film))

Mount Adams (iPad mini 2, Hipstamatic (G2 lens, BlacKeys IR film))
Fantastically atmospheric shots. I recall the eruption back in the day and the coloured sunsets even over England for weeks afterward. Here is another tragic, but amazing story: https://petapixel.com/2011/09/07/ph...s-film-during-the-1980-mt-st-helens-eruption/

The day before the eruption, I had flown from Salt Lake City to Seattle. I remember looking out the window at all these pristine white mountains, and then a grey smudgy mountain came into view. It was Mount St Helens, covered with ash from all the pre-eruption activities. The next day my dad woke me up to tell me the mountain had erupted. My mom was from Kentucky and her mom called to see how we were doing. My dad answered the phone and he told her there was so much ash piled up outside, we couldn't even open the door. My mom didn't think much of my dad's sense of humor. In reality, there was almost no ash. We were north of the mountain by more than 100 miles, and all the ash was flowing east.

Despite living here my whole life, my two trips to see the mountain during the summer of 2020 were the first time I'd ever visited the mountain. My first visit I went up the back way from Randle to the Windy Ridge Viewpoint. I saw the site where Gary Rosenquist made his historic photos of the eruption. The road on that side is very small, barely wide enough to two cars to pass. It's rough and incredibly twisty. I couldn't help but think of the people desperately trying to race down that road to escape the ash.

It's a sobering trip whether you go up the east route or the west route which has a better view of the crater. Residents, volcanologists, hikers, photographers, so many people died that day. The power is staggering. It really is worth your time to visit if you're in the area.

Last edited:
The day before the eruption, I had flown from Salt Lake City to Seattle. I remember looking out the window at all these pristine white mountains, and then a grey smudgy mountain came into view. It was Mount St Helens, covered with ash from all the pre-eruption activities. The next day my dad woke me up to tell me the mountain had erupted. My mom was from Kentucky and her mom called to see how we were doing. My dad answered the phone and he told her there was so much ash piled up outside, we couldn't even open the door. My mom didn't think much of my dad's sense of humor. In reality, there was almost no ash. We were north of the mountain by more than 100 miles, and all the ash was flowing east.

Despite living here my whole life, my two trips to see the mountain during the summer of 2020 were the first time I'd ever visited the mountain. My first visit I went up the back way from Randle to the Windy Ridge Viewpoint. I saw the site where Gary Rosenquist made his historic photos of the eruption. The road on that side is very small, barely wide enough to two cars to pass. It's rough and incredibly twisty. I couldn't help but think of the people desperately trying to race down that road to escape the ash.

It's a sobering trip whether you go up the east route or the west route which has a better view of the crater. Residents, volcanologists, hikers, photographers, so many people died that day. The power is staggering. It really is worth your time to visit if you're in the area.
Its not something you can really get your head around if you live in a non volcanic area, we have the occasional flood or landslide in rural areas, but to be faced with this kind of apocalyptic event must be truly staggering.

I have only seen photos.…

Now that I’m living in WA, I really need to make a trip east and visit Mount St. Helens.

I request a little guidance here. I don't know if this photo is better in Landscape or Portrait mode. I don't think Landscape adds anything to the photo, but I have such a burning hatred for vertical video, I think it might be adding an unnecessary negative bias to how I perceive the Portrait version.
"End of the Line." HipstamaticX, Portland Hipstapak, BlacKeys B+W lens, Claunch 72 film

I request a little guidance here. I don't know if this photo is better in Landscape or Portrait mode. I don't think Landscape adds anything to the photo, but I have such a burning hatred for vertical video, I think it might be adding an unnecessary negative bias to how I perceive the Portrait version.
"End of the Line." HipstamaticX, Portland Hipstapak, BlacKeys B+W lens, Claunch 72 film

I think the portrait accentuates the leading lines.

The vertical orientation works better for me in this case. I like having the slight extra bit of sky, and I think the narrow view suits the railroad tracks (don't ask me why I think that -- I don't know). Did you try a square crop also?

Welcome to my swinging space-age bachelor pad. Wood paneling, shag carpets and Martin Denny on the hi-fi. Mix yourself a cocktail from the bar, sit back in an Eames lounge chair, and hopefully enjoy a few photos.

First up are some photos I took on a rainy Sunday afternoon near Mount Si in Washington. All are on classic Hipstamatic as I was too far out of range of cell phone reception for Hipstamatic X. I had "shake to randomize" on, which always makes for some fun combinations.

Nakazakicho: Kuma Lens, Hiragana Film

Susie Lens, Delaunay 1941 Film

Hekla Lens, BlacKeys Supergrain Film

Elijah Lens, Pearl Film

Hugo Lens, Arjan BW Film

Vicuña CL Lens, Cano Cafenol Film

Tachman Lens, Cinematheque Film

Jane Lens, Panaji Film

Buzz Mk1 Lens, Dixie Film

Bettie XL Lens, Otto Film

Müller Lens, Uchitel 20 film

Tejas Lens, Wanli UFO film

Emma Lens, Panaji Film

Lumière lens, BlacKeys 1942 film
I can’t understand why you need to be in cell phone range to use the X… I’ve been using the X without any problems particularly since the Classic got “buggy’s” and started playing up. However these are great captures

I'd go portrait, hands down, as the more vertical format gives the diagonal perspective lines room to breathe. Theres definitely a more pronounced 'zoom' effect as the eye travels into the photo. The landscape version is good, but truncates the effect too much for me and loses the depth of field in the shot. Beautiful work btw

Portrait for me too. I do like the square crop, but the portrait version is my preference.:)

Agree with the portrait crop rather than landscape.

I can’t understand why you need to be in cell phone range to use the X… I’ve been using the X without any problems particularly since the Classic got “buggy’s” and started playing up.
I think that was from the original version of X. As I recall it needed to be in cell phone range to build cameras because it didn’t have all the filters in the app. It needed to download them. That hasn’t been an issue for quite some time, though.

A couple of photos from this afternoon.

52020929961_1db27f7a8b_o.jpg

flowers
Hipstamatic X, iPod Touch 7th generation
Model 100 (John S lens, Ina's 1969 film)

52021185659_23f52668f8_o.jpg

rainy parking lot
Hipstamatic X, iPod Touch 7th generation
Black and White (Stavros film, Aristole lens, Jolly Rainbow 2X flash)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom