MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
Per request I’m starting this thread to share what I know about Procreate and what I learn as I stumble go along. I’m hoping that others will join in and share their knowledge of not just Procreate, but any app they have some insight into. Even if you discover one cool thing, tell us how you did it!

I don’t really feel qualified for this. I use Procreate more than other apps, especially for layering. I can start out by telling you what I use it for most often, and answer any questions that come up the best I can. Please feel free to jump in anytime you have a better, easier or just diffrent way of doing something.

The updated Procreate 5 requires IOS 13.2.something. :lmao: If your not into the latest updates, Procreate 4 is still a very powerful app.

I’ll start off with a video of a sample work flow just to inspire some ”how did you” questions. It’s very fast. The video recording button is located under the wrench>video.
4A024DBD-2B9D-440A-9BB7-7D98206783B4.jpeg

It’s apparently on by default. I amused myself for sometime watching replays of various creations.

One of the new options that I’m quite happy about is the clone tool. It’s under the magic wand. The difficulty comes finding which layer to clone. It doesn’t include a “sample all layers” option. I use the clone tool at the end of the video. It’s quick don’t blink.

Per request I’m starting this thread to share what I know about Procreate and what I learn as I stumble go along. I’m hoping that others will join in and share their knowledge of not just Procreate, but any app they have some insight into. Even if you discover one cool thing, tell us how you did it!

I don’t really feel qualified for this. I use Procreate more than other apps, especially for layering. I can start out by telling you what I use it for most often, and answer any questions that come up the best I can. Please feel free to jump in anytime you have a better, easier or just diffrent way of doing something.
Oooh, thanks for starting this Star. If I can, I’ll try and add some bits to the thread. :thumbs:

Per request I’m starting this thread to share what I know about Procreate and what I learn as I stumble go along.

Star, thank so much for starting this thread! I’m looking forward to feeling more relaxed about opening Procreate

I hope juryjone , ImageArt and our other Procreate-savvy members join you & JillyG in sharing your collective wisdoms :notworthy: :inlove: :notworthy:

Star, thank so much for starting this thread! I’m looking forward to feeling more relaxed about opening Procreate

I hope juryjone , ImageArt and our other Procreate-savvy members join you & JillyG in sharing your collective wisdoms :notworthy: :inlove: :notworthy:
me, too!

And, I’m hoping you’ll share some SketchCLub hints!

Last edited:

I’ve def got a trick or two to share and have spied this thread already. Not too much time between flitting around West Australia but will see what I can do.

I don’t know how savvy I am about Procreate. Since I don’t have a traditional art background in drawing/painting, and no aptitude in that area, Procreate has always scared me a bit. I use iColorama and SuperimposeX for layering currently, but thanks to Star’s video, I can see the usefulness of Procreate over the other apps for rough-edged layering.

Boy, that video goes by fast! I see now why those who do Procreate tutorials splice together iOS’s screen captures and Procreate workflow videos.

I don’t know how savvy I am about Procreate. Since I don’t have a traditional art background in drawing/painting, and no aptitude in that area, Procreate has always scared me a bit. I use iColorama and SuperimposeX for layering currently, but thanks to Star’s video, I can see the usefulness of Procreate over the other apps for rough-edged layering.

Boy, that video goes by fast! I see now why those who do Procreate tutorials splice together iOS’s screen captures and Procreate workflow videos.
I’m looking for a way to slow that video down. There must be a setting somewhere.

I am obsessed with brushes. I love to use them for stamps and outlining. I’ve been working on creating my own with limited success. Procreate 5 now is able to import .abr files. I have several that I’ve used in icolorama, but haven’t been able to use in Procreate. I imported them today and am quite pleased. I got the .abr brushes from Brusheezy.com . I have a favorite set called Grunge Toolbox I use quite often to add a texture to a project. These are a .brush file. I paid for them, and perhaps I shouldn’t be sharing them, but I think as long as I’m not selling them I’m okay. I’ve set up a shared drop box with a few brush sets to start with. (I’ve pared them down zenjenny Jen, not so overheming). The link is here. I share more as I sort them out.

I’m looking for a way to slow that video down. There must be a setting somewhere.
I didn't see any control in Procreate, but when you're viewing the video in the YouTube player:

1. Tap on the video to show the control bar.
2. Tap on the gear icon to show its menu.
3. Tap on Playback Speed to get choices down to 0.25 speed.

It's not super smooth, but it helps.

EDIT: LumaFX can also slow the video once you export it from Procreate. I'd guess that many other video editors can do the same.

Last edited:
I didn't see any control in Procreate, but when you're viewing the video in the YouTube player:

1. Tap on the video to show the control bar.
2. Tap on the gear icon to show its menu.
3. Tap on Playback Speed to get choices down to 0.25 speed.

It's not super smooth, but it helps.

EDIT: LumaFX can also slow the video once you export it from Procreate. I'd guess that many other video editors can do the same.
Thank you! I’m not up on video at all!

And, I’m hoping you’ll share some SketchCLub hints!

i don’t have any :neutral: I know how to find the community brushes - but so does my 5yo grandbaby.
I don’t know what any of the ‘tweaking’ controls mean or do — except for ‘spacing’ and ‘scatter’. I don’t know the niceties of the blur fxs. I’m a bad artist:(

i don’t have any :neutral: I know how to find the community brushes - but so does my 5yo grandbaby.
I don’t know what any of the ‘tweaking’ controls mean or do — except for ‘spacing’ and ‘scatter’. I don’t know the niceties of the blur fxs. I’m a bad artist:(
That’s helps me know what you’d like to know. I’ll work on it.

I’m a bad artist
Says the QUEEN OF APPSTRACT!!!!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Here’s a tutorial I did on some brush terms, using Paint Hack and iColorama instead of Procreate. You might find some useful tips.

if you want to spend two hours getting a glance at Procreate 5 from the rudiments, and ending up being totally crushed by the scope of this app, then I suggest this video from James Julier.

I was so fascinated by one feature, reference layers, that I did this in Procreate Pocket while watching the video (and rewinding so I didn’t miss anything).

FD7D55C2-EF62-43E6-8DA8-25171DF94195.jpeg

if you want to spend two hours getting a glance at Procreate 5 from the rudiments, and ending up being totally crushed by the scope of this app, then I suggest this video from James Julier.

I was so fascinated by one feature, reference layers, that I did this in Procreate Pocket while watching the video (and rewinding so I didn’t miss anything).

View attachment 153149
I will watch that while I’m off this week. I’ve watched quite a few, but only 10-15 minute ones.

View attachment 153149
I checked out the video. I found a few pretty cool features I didn’t know about, including the reference layer. When I watch these sort of tutorials, I’m grateful that I have two iPads so I can watch on one and try things out on the other.

After watching the video suggested by juryjone Jerry, it occurred to me that there are a ton of Procreate tutorials on YouTube. I’ve watch several (hundred) and I think most of them do a far better job than I could of explaining Procreate. Also, there is a free iBook available which I refer back to quite often. It can be found here.

Here’s a link to YouTube tute that is only 10 minutes and is for beginners. It’s the first 5 parts. I haven't watched all of them but it breaks things down into small bites. Since it features an earlier version of Procreate, not all of the short cuts are the same but most are. In fact, I found a few hadn’t known prior to watching. The first video is here. That will lead you to the others.

I’ve watch several (hundred) and I think most of them do a far better job than I could of explaining Procreate.

They are intimidating to those of us who don’t paint, sketch or draw. I’m not seeing many (or any, actually) that come at the app from the perspective of a collage artist. There’s a niche there for your particular talents. Maybe not in a “Procreate from the beginning” way, but in a “here’s how I did this” way.

Back
Top Bottom