NEW Procreate (et al)

I love ProCreate, it’s the first and last app I go to for every image and every creation. As far as I can tell, I think it does everything photo shop will do only it seems far easier to me...but maybe that’s because I know nothing about PhotoShop. I probably spend at least 4-6 hours a day in ProCreate. I open it, bring in an image and go into a trance and “things” happen. Sometimes I scrap the whole mess, but most of the time I like what comes out.

Well....I’ve been asked to share this so I’m gonna give it a try....
8E3F0C83-0601-4C7E-81C6-DDC8B81458A9.png

this is my starting image taken on a gloomy afternoon. I put it into ProCreate to see what I could do with it.
E086393D-C34A-4AD6-B3FF-8CC5F4290789.jpeg

and this is where it ended up.
Using the layers I added a layer of black, decreased the opacity until it was this dark, where I could see the bigger details quite clearly and the smaller ones well enough. I erased out the black over the deer and the edge of the shrubs and the shrub branches on the left. Then using the airbrush paintbrush I brought in the colors of the lamps and painted in the glow. I next took a thin brush from the luminance section and carefully painted in along the edges where I thought the lights would hit to create a little more realism. The last thing I did was to unify the whole thing by using the airbrush tool to create fog rolling in. If my boredom threshold was bigger it probably would’ve been even better, but I figured it was decent at this point and I wanted to move on to something else :grin:

I've finally got around to making the tutorials for the Procreate Pattern Brush. Geez, I'm a bit rusty. Sorry about the couple of errors here and there. So I thought it better to divide it up into 3 videos. The last one shows you how to make the actual pattern brush so if you already have something in mind go straight there.

Using my pattern brushes:

9F7B8A39-AB0A-4B06-9626-58AAD020F1F8.jpeg

Part 1 of 3: Converting an image to BW using Adobe Shape (within Adobe Capture) ready for pattern generation:

Part 2 of 3: Creating the Pattern. You'll have great fun creating patterns in this one.

Part 3 of 3: Making the Brush in Procreate. Yes, I want to see your examples!

I've finally got around to making the tutorials for the Procreate Pattern Brush. Geez, I'm a bit rusty. Sorry about the couple of errors here and there. So I thought it better to divide it up into 3 videos. The last one shows you how to make the actual pattern brush so if you already have something in mind go straight there.

View attachment 158297

Part 1 of 3: Converting an image to BW using Adobe Shape (within Adobe Capture) ready for pattern generation:

Part 2 of 3: Creating the Pattern. You'll have great fun creating patterns in this one.

Marvellous. I’ve created a crows’ feet brush following your excellent tute. Thank you.:notworthy:

View attachment 158297

Ooooh! Tomorrow’s the day I’m watching.

Thank you, Ann! Well done. I can see why I was having such problems! I was using the shape for the image. I’ve created several that work, but I’m not sure how. I’ll have to go back and look at them. I learned more about the different settings, too.

Thank you, Ann! Well done. I can see why I was having such problems! I was using the shape for the image. I’ve created several that work, but I’m not sure how. I’ll have to go back and look at them. I learned more about the different settings, too.
Well you do use the shape for the image if you don’t want an overall pattern. I’ll put a small video together to demonstrate that too.

As promised here's how to create a 'stamp' brush which is the one people usually make.

Thanks for the Tute. Another job well done.

I’ve been fairly obsessed with the Procreate brushes both making and acquiring them. I really have to weed them out. I have waaaaay too many. But, I was trying to find a way to set up a link where we could share our brushes. All I’m seeing is emailing them directly to someone or using Dropbox. Dropbox is fine, except I’m not paying for extra storage. Do you know of any other way? Or does anyone?

Thanks for the Tute. Another job well done.

I’ve been fairly obsessed with the Procreate brushes both making and acquiring them. I really have to weed them out. I have waaaaay too many. But, I was trying to find a way to set up a link where we could share our brushes. All I’m seeing is emailing them directly to someone or using Dropbox. Dropbox is fine, except I’m not paying for extra storage. Do you know of any other way? Or does anyone?
There’s a share button on each of the brushes in Procreate (if you swipe left). If you’ve got the email address or mobile number of the person you want to send the brush to, you just choose them there. I’ve sent you, by email, the Crows’ Feet brush I made. Let’s see if it will open in Procreate. And you’re welcome to use that brush anywhere, anytime. :D

There’s a share button on each of the brushes in Procreate (if you swipe left). If you’ve got the email address or mobile number of the person you want to send the brush to, you just choose them there. I’ve sent you, by email, the Crows’ Feet brush I made. Let’s see if it will open in Procreate. And you’re welcome to use that brush anywhere, anytime. :D
Thank you! I haven’t seen it yet but I’m looking forward to it! What I was thinking of was finding a way to link a collecting place for any of us to share our brushes easily with each other. I guess we could put Dropbox links in this thread. I’ve already filled one Dropbox and had to open another in order to not pay.........

I’ll send you my Jen’s Dot brush, in exchange for the crow’s feet!

Thank you! I haven’t seen it yet but I’m looking forward to it! What I was thinking of was finding a way to link a collecting place for any of us to share our brushes easily with each other. I guess we could put Dropbox links in this thread. I’ve already filled one Dropbox and had to open another in order to not pay.........

I’ll send you my Jen’s Dot brush, in exchange for the crow’s feet!
I still haven’t worked out how to use the Dropbox. Every time I go to open it, it asks me for a password and we can’t remember what it is. :rolleyes:

I just did a quick tutorial on making a line image in Procreate. Yeah, you can do that with iColorama and a few other apps, but I thought it was cool. https://folio.procreate.art/discussions/10/28/23106
B3E0FF09-078D-4E04-97C4-C9F3F426B573.png
2B9DAD40-13E9-473A-99CD-48B6F9DB54D6.png

I added the original image back in at the end and set it to vivid light, it seemed to give it more substance.

Last edited:
I thought these Procreate tips fantastic, especially the fill which so often doesn’t work with light lines. Also copying multiple layers to a different doc. This app is so powerful, it’s crazy.

I’ve just become aware of a new journaling/diary app called Zinnia. Pretty impressive but not for £32 a year and that’s the sale price! I’m sure many people will love all the pre-made stuff. Paper is better value for £8 a year but Procreate does much much more if you want to do your own stuff and you can save it to a PDF if you put each full page on a layer in the same doc. No brainer for me.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I didn’t know that if you resize an element to be bigger in Procreate it pixelates it horribly. I kept on thinking I had the page resolution too low. The same thing happens if you copy an element loads of times using the last copied element. So if you were to copy one rose make sure you always copy from the original. The same applies to brush stamps. Make your brush as big as possible if you want a big version. I compared a stamp increased in size with one stamped large and the difference was significant.

Top one enlarged. Second one stamped large.

19DDF41C-A778-41B4-B5A8-96D2693CF863.png

I thought these Procreate tips fantastic, especially the fill which so often doesn’t work with light lines. Also copying multiple layers to a different doc. This app is so powerful, it’s crazy.

I’ve just become aware of a new journaling/diary app called Zinnia. Pretty impressive but not for £32 a year and that’s the sale price! I’m sure many people will love all the pre-made stuff. Paper is better value for £8 a year but Procreate does much much more if you want to do your own stuff and you can save it to a PDF if you put each full page on a layer in the same doc. No brainer for me.
How funny - I watched a You Tube vid showing 23 Hidden Procreate functions. :D Some I knew, but there were some I didn’t and that fill thing was a new one and very useful with those lines made with charcoal brushes, for instance.

I‘m watching these tomorrow. I’m always looking for some thing to watch to fill the time I spend on the stationary bike. It doesn’t seem to matter which tutorials I watch, I always seem to learn something, or have it jostled out of my brain’s lost and found. :rolleyes:

After seeing this video
I got Infinite Painter and have been experimenting with it. The video is made by a painter whose main reason for liking the app is the brushes behave more like REAL brushes. As a non-painter, I can’t testify to that, but after looking at this app’s brushes and Procreate‘s, I do see his point about how “electronic” some of Procreate’s seem. It also has a few features that Photoshop has (filters, for example) that Procreate doesn’t have. I do like the app, but on the downside, I have amassed a wealth of very cool brushes that I use for stamps in various ways and for various effects. I haven’t had much luck importing even .abr files into Infinite Painter. They do have a lot of community brushes, similar to SketchClub.

These are a couple of my experiments
EE63B34A-E7DC-4DC7-99FC-70E60CE52262.jpeg
731E5E6E-AFE1-41D3-96AB-2E80B521326C.jpeg

After seeing this video
I got Infinite Painter and have been experimenting with it. The video is made by a painter whose main reason for liking the app is the brushes behave more like REAL brushes. As a non-painter, I can’t testify to that, but after looking at this app’s brushes and Procreate‘s, I do see his point about how “electronic” some of Procreate’s seem. It also has a few features that Photoshop has (filters, for example) that Procreate doesn’t have. I do like the app, but on the downside, I have amassed a wealth of very cool brushes that I use for stamps in various ways and for various effects. I haven’t had much luck importing even .abr files into Infinite Painter. They do have a lot of community brushes, similar to SketchClub.

These are a couple of my experiments
View attachment 159145View attachment 159146
Interesting to see that there’s also an Android version.

I clearly downloaded it at some point but didn’t spend much time with it. The brushes definitely remind me more of the brushes you get in the Adobe apps. I’m trying to cut down on my apps but not being very successful. I want to try and concentrate on my favourites but there are some interesting brushes and differences with this app. Might not buy it though let’s see what the tuts show.

Interesting to see that there’s also an Android version.

I clearly downloaded it at some point but didn’t spend much time with it. The brushes definitely remind me more of the brushes you get in the Adobe apps. I’m trying to cut down on my apps but not being very successful. I want to try and concentrate on my favourites but there are some interesting brushes and differences with this app. Might not buy it though let’s see what the tuts show.
Well the video was so convincing and his tutorial also so I did go out and buy it. :rolleyes:

I love the smudge tool and it has a sketchy brush like SketchClub so totally suckered in. Here is an example done on my new iPad Pro 11 - so wonderful to have a keyboard again! As usual Infinite Painter is used in just some of the steps.

E0CD6510-4D01-41AE-A5CE-C4090E55FA30.jpeg

(1) I open the image in Infinite Painter, create a new layer and sketch some outlines using the Proko Pencil Brush mentioned in his tut video.
(2) I simplify my original image by taking it into ImaEngine and removing the lines in the editor by switching that layer off and saving.
(3) I bring this image back into Infinite Painter below the sketch outline and simplify even more by smudging the distinct colour blocks made by ImaEngine.
(4) I output the new image and ran it through Pastello Pro.
(5) I then took it into iColorama and improved Exposure and Vibrance. I decided that I needed to bring back some of the detail so I brought in the original image, put the new image on top and dialled down the opacity of the new image just slightly. The End.

Here’s another one but I missed out the smudge bit and iColorama. The sketch lines on this one are more distinct. It could easily have been done in Procreate I suppose but the brushes are definitely a bit different.

7FEF48C9-ADAF-45AC-A74A-16312199203A.jpeg

Well the video was so convincing and his tutorial also so I did go out and buy it. :rolleyes:

I love the smudge tool and it has a sketchy brush like SketchClub so totally suckered in. Here is an example done on my new iPad Pro 11 - so wonderful to have a keyboard again! As usual Infinite Painter is used in just some of the steps.

View attachment 159241

(1) I open the image in Infinite Painter, create a new layer and sketch some outlines using the Proko Pencil Brush mentioned in his tut video.
(2) I simplify my original image by taking it into ImaEngine and removing the lines in the editor by switching that layer off and saving.
(3) I bring this image back into Infinite Painter below the sketch outline and simplify even more by smudging the distinct colour blocks made by ImaEngine.
(5) I then took it into iColorama and improved Exposure and Vibrance. I decided that I needed to bring back some of the detail so I brought in the original image, put the new image on top and dialled down the opacity of the new image just slightly. The End.

Here’s another one but I missed out the smudge bit and iColorama. The sketch lines on this one are more distinct. It could easily have been done in Procreate I suppose but the brushes are definitely a bit different.

View attachment 159243
I am rather enjoying it, too. One thing that I think is a bonus (I originally thought it was a bad thing) are the brushes are all the originals. I’m getting used to them first, before I start downloading tons of community brushes or creating my own. I haven’t tried the smudging much yet, but I’m enjoying using the selection tool to cut things out. I do believe I’ll go smudge a few things right now!

View attachment 159241

View attachment 159243
The first one, of the forest, is superb. :notworthy: And thanks for the nice explanation of the process.

Back
Top Bottom