NEW Procreate (et al)

it has a sketchy brush like SketchClub
I missed that while I was smudging around. I like that brush from SketchClub, too. Infinite Painter also has a fill brush like SketchClub’s Vector brush.

I spent quite a while smudging. You can get a lot of interesting effects that way. There’s quite a few things I like better about IP than Procreate. But some things, not so much. It maybe possible, but I can’t find a way to group layers, for example.

I missed that while I was smudging around. I like that brush from SketchClub, too. Infinite Painter also has a fill brush like SketchClub’s Vector brush.

I spent quite a while smudging. You can get a lot of interesting effects that way. There’s quite a few things I like better about IP than Procreate. But some things, not so much. It maybe possible, but I can’t find a way to group layers, for example.
I couldn’t find this either. It‘s interesting I only recently started using grouping and now I don’t know how I managed without it! However, I’m not finding that I am using too many layers in the app yet. Did you do Nicki’s course?

I couldn’t find this either. It‘s interesting I only recently started using grouping and now I don’t know how I managed without it! However, I’m not finding that I am using too many layers in the app yet. Did you do Nicki’s course?
I tend to use more and more layers as I move forward. I rely on groups, and only recently started naming them. It certainly makes things a lot easier.

I did take Nicki’s course. The first thing I learned was she has way more patience than I when it come to making selections in Proecreate. I have been using SuperImpose X to start off with my layers and selections (best masking tools IMHO). From there I sent the whole PSD file to Procreate to carry on. The rest of the course Seemed a replay of other courses. I did learn things about Procreate I hadn’t known and saw a few things I wanted to try out, but I don’t feel like it was a super helpful course. I have been liking her current work but I don’t feel like she shared that.

I did take Nicki’s course. The first thing I learned was she has way more patience than I when it come to making selections in Proecreate. I have been using SuperImpose X to start off with my layers and selections (best masking tools IMHO). From there I sent the whole PSD file to Procreate to carry on. The rest of the course Seemed a replay of other courses. I did learn things about Procreate I hadn’t known and saw a few things I wanted to try out, but I don’t feel like it was a super helpful course. I have been liking her current work but I don’t feel like she shared that.
That’s what I was worried about. Didn’t think I would learn anything from the course. I get a bit annoyed when course givers don’t give away their secrets because that’s what you are paying for.

That’s what I was worried about. Didn’t think I would learn anything from the course. I get a bit annoyed when course givers don’t give away their secrets because that’s what you are paying for.
I was tempted to sign up for the course, but Rog talked me out of it. :rolleyes: I’m glad now I didn’t buy it if she wasn’t giving much away. To be honest, I think you both (Ann and Star) can produce images as good, if not better.:hearteyes:

Agreed.

I was tempted to sign up for the course, but Rog talked me out of it. :rolleyes: I’m glad now I didn’t buy it if she wasn’t giving much away. To be honest, I think you both (Ann and Star) can produce images as good, if not better.:hearteyes:
Awww...Thank you!

:inlove:

E0CD6510-4D01-41AE-A5CE-C4090E55FA30.jpeg

Nominated for July Image of the Month

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the video was so convincing and his tutorial also so I did go out and buy it. :rolleyes:

I love the smudge tool and it has a sketchy brush like SketchClub so totally suckered in. Here is an example done on my new iPad Pro 11 - so wonderful to have a keyboard again! As usual Infinite Painter is used in just some of the steps.

View attachment 159241

(1) I open the image in Infinite Painter, create a new layer and sketch some outlines using the Proko Pencil Brush mentioned in his tut video.
(2) I simplify my original image by taking it into ImaEngine and removing the lines in the editor by switching that layer off and saving.
(3) I bring this image back into Infinite Painter below the sketch outline and simplify even more by smudging the distinct colour blocks made by ImaEngine.
(4) I output the new image and ran it through Pastello Pro.
(5) I then took it into iColorama and improved Exposure and Vibrance. I decided that I needed to bring back some of the detail so I brought in the original image, put the new image on top and dialled down the opacity of the new image just slightly. The End.

Here’s another one but I missed out the smudge bit and iColorama. The sketch lines on this one are more distinct. It could easily have been done in Procreate I suppose but the brushes are definitely a bit different.

View attachment 159243
Ann, I just saw that you have an iPad Pro 11. I got one recently, too. Do you love it? I was afraid I would regret not getting a 12” but I like the size.

Ann, I just saw that you have an iPad Pro 11. I got one recently, too. Do you love it? I was afraid I would regret not getting a 12” but I like the size.
Me too. I had the option to have a bigger one, but I like mine. :)

You know I loved my old iPad Pro so much after having had only a mini that I still have a soft spot for it and I do find the big screen the best for manipulation. If the keyboard connectors had not failed some time back and then the battery I would still be using it although I kept on having to clear space. I also HATE not having an earphone jack. I listen to YouTube in the lounge while Tom watches sport on the TV so I use it a lot. I have yet to find a good small adapter where I can watch something on a memory stick and use earphones. If anybody knows of a good one, please let me know. I‘m just wanting a small two port.

Having said that the smaller size is more convenient. It now fits into some of my fav bags that the big one didn’t. I was supposed to get the magic keyboard but I didn’t realise that the salesman had given me the wrong one. When I read the reviews of how heavy and bulky it is I was really glad that the mistake occurred! I also had no idea it was so expensive! I rarely sit at a desk anymore so the smart keyboard was a much better choice. Having a keyboard again is massive. Also I love that the Apple Pencil attaches to the top of the screen!

Although I’m glad Apple have moved to the USB-C connector, it does mean that my old iXpand drives don’t work through the app. Photos backup use to be so quick. They seem to be much slower through an adapter. I have bought the Apple USB-C to SD card adapter and if you buy the fast UHS-II SD cards, the transfer should be lightening although I am still using slower ones and will be interested to see how quick photo back up is once I have enough on my iPad. I love that Apple have finally improved file management. So easy now to back up everything without iCloud.

In a nutshell, I don’t regret the size change. The purchase has just been tainted by the annoyance that I needed to buy one in the first place. I really am trying not to fill up the world with more technical trash.

Here's the update list:

Procreate 5X is here, packed with precision and reimagined features. It is another huge leap forward for creative professionals.​
• Pencil Filters​
Brush in image effects with your Apple Pencil. For the first time you can use any brush to paint in adjustments and effects exactly where you want them. Smudge your filter to create textured effects like you’ve never seen before. You can even erase or adjust the amount in realtime.​
• Gradient Map​
One of the your biggest requests is here! Add a new dimension of color by mapping gradients across your value painting. Create your own custom gradients and insert as many knobs as you like, we won't judge.​
• All New Filters​
Creating incredible effects and dramatic finishes is easier than ever with a host of new filters and adjustments. There are huge improvements to essential filters like Noise and Blur, and amazing new creative possibilities with Glitch, Chromatic Aberration and more.​
• Reference Companion​
Always keep your composition in focus while you paint in the details. Import a reference image that will stay by your side; ready to provide inspiration and colors.​
• FacePaint​
Procreate on your face! See your FacePaint update live and even play your animations. It’s not only for your fans, share your photos and videos with everybody.​
• Palette Capture & SwatchDrop​
Capture the colors around you with your camera or photos in your library. Fill your artwork with color by dropping swatches right onto your canvas. You can also import Adobe® ACO and ASE palette files. Why tho.​
• Transform​
Make beautiful compositions with precise new ways to move and scale your artwork. Accurately align objects to your canvas and other layers with new Snapping. Use the new Bounding Box Adjust to scale and stretch from any orientation. Transform with 100% accuracy using numeric entry.​
• Selection Color Fill​
Accelerate your workflow by drawing selections that automatically fill with color. Add or Remove with any selection tool to create sharp, vibrant shapes. Use Automatic selections to fill your artwork in all the right places.​
• Private Layer​
Keep a layer private so your Time-lapse is free from sketches, notes, nudes and reference images.​
• Scribble​
Scribble gives you a whole new way to add text to your artwork, without ever having to put down your Apple Pencil. Name layers, change settings, and pick colors, but the best part is - your tool never needs to leave your hand.​
• QuickMenu Profiles​
Finger your way to success with QuickMenu profiles. With just a flick of your button, you can swap to tailored QuickMenus for sketching, coloring or finishing.​
• Blur Brushes​
Effortless blend colors with the new Blur settings in Brush Studio. Look out for Blend brushes in the Airbrushes set.​
Procreate® 5X also has:​
Redesigned Copy and Paste Menu​
Crop and Resize Snapping​
Text Numeric Input​
New Font Companion​
iPadOS 14 Quick Launch Widget​
HEVC Time-lapse with alpha​
Color Profile fixes​
Brush Studio performance improvements​
Animated Transforms​
New Text Selection appearance​
We hope you have as much fun with Procreate 5X as we did making it. And we can’t wait to get back to making whole new ways for you to create. Don’t forget to show us your FacePaint selfies and videos with #ProcreateFaces!​

• Palette Capture & SwatchDropCapture the colors around you with your camera or photos in your library. Fill your artwork with color by dropping swatches right onto your canvas. You can also import Adobe® ACO and ASE palette files. Why tho.
This is a cool feature, but my personal favorite (so far) is the improved clone tool. All of the effects can now be applied to either the entire layer or by using any of your brushes to a select area. This allows you to, not only recreate a part of your canvas to another, but stamp a shape using an area of your canvas ala iColorama. To get an idea of what I’m saying about the stamping, here’s an image I made in iColorama using this effect.
ABD12E37-3313-4C50-B60A-77D1C79F205A.jpg

So far, I’m not thrilled about most of the filters, but perhaps they‘ll grow on me with use.

Another features I like so far, the ability to add a reference image. You can see your whole image while working on a small section or refer to an image you’d like to imitate. I like do this when I’m feeling stuck. I also like the “copy canvas” optIon ala Photoshop. I like that when I come down to the end of a project to make universal adjustments.

Last edited:
Have you tried the palette generator? Tap on the colour dot and then the +. Then tap New from Camera. It gives you the palette for the area the camera is directed at. So cool!

View attachment 160903
Yes!!! I had to stop myself. On one of the videos I saw the guy said he hoped Procreate put that option into Pocket just so he could collect pallets on his iphone.

Back
Top Bottom