NEW Procreate Tips & Tricks by Jason

Jasongag

MobiLurver
Real Name
Jason
Device
Gouvy I'm so in awe of your painting/drawing talents! And you seem to know Procreate so well!! (Maybe we could recruit you to offer a tutorial for our Tutorial section some time??)

I'd be happy to help with a project like that too if there's scope to do so. I've been using it extensively, some of my stuff is just straight painting now on a blank canvas using procreate. It's got some amazing features, like the straight line drawing tool, where you hold your finger down after drawing a line and it automatically straightens up between the two points. It was very useful in my tuk tuk piece for latest mandala, and on one of my old pieces I'm currently redoing as a painting. Some of my earlier stuff i liked but apps compressed them to a measly MB or two so some favourites I'm digging out and redoing as paintings.

There's also a fantastic perspective guide that lets you to pick a vanishing point, or several and creates a grid to keep the perspective right as a guide. And they also have a perspective blur effect which is like a motion blur but a bit more sophisticated. Its also got guassian blur and a few others. I also think its noise effect is invaluable for adding a bit of photographic realism to paintings. I used that on my painting of a rose that was in the RED LOA, quite subtle but a great effect. And the variety of brushes is incredible. I mostly just use the default normal brush and wet brush, but there are ones that do all kinds of wacky effects, plus skin texture and hair etc. And what was missing is outlines and solid shapes of basics like circles, squares, triangles etc ... but you can import them as special brushes easily, there's a threador two in the very helpful forum for procreate.

I just wish they would hurry up and support the Wacom Intuos 2 stylus i spent a bomb on. I have tried just about every stylus under the sun, and always come back ot using my finger. The apple pencil and ipad pro looks very sexy, if you have a spare THB 50,000 (US 1,300 or so) lying around.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451848497.911553.jpg

Rose painting. Was trying for photorealistic effect and some noise at the end helped bring the deep shadows to life

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451848634.567197.jpg

This was original mashup of my gf, my bedroom cupboard and a mural I took a photo of plus what inspired it was the pattern from a dress I probably messed with in circular or similar. But the only file I can find is one or two MB. Not near enough to print out big. So I decided to paint it from scratch in procreate.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451848881.379930.jpg

Very much a work in progress.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451848952.117394.jpg

With perpective guide on to show vanishing point. You can set more than one point too.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451849345.510977.jpg

Another one I liked but small file and bit rough.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1451849422.149872.jpg

Work in progress in procreate. Bottom right third or so unfinished.

Just realized should have started a new thread. Is there an easy way for an admin to move this?

Last edited:
I'd be happy to help with a project like that too if there's scope to do so. I've been using it extensively, some of my stuff is just straight painting now on a blank canvas using procreate. It's got some amazing features, like the straight line drawing tool, where you hold your finger down after drawing a line and it automatically straightens up between the two points. It was very useful in my tuk tuk piece for latest mandala, and on one of my old pieces I'm currently redoing as a painting. Some of my earlier stuff i liked but apps compressed them to a measly MB or two so some favourites I'm digging out and redoing as paintings.

There's also a fantastic perspective guide that lets you to pick a vanishing point, or several and creates a grid to keep the perspective right as a guide. And they also have a perspective blur effect which is like a motion blur but a bit more sophisticated. Its also got guassian blur and a few others. I also think its noise effect is invaluable for adding a bit of photographic realism to paintings. I used that on my painting of a rose that was in the RED LOA, quite subtle but a great effect. And the variety of brushes is incredible. I mostly just use the default normal brush and wet brush, but there are ones that do all kinds of wacky effects, plus skin texture and hair etc. And what was missing is outlines and solid shapes of basics like circles, squares, triangles etc ... but you can import them as special brushes easily, there's a threador two in the very helpful forum for procreate.

I just wish they would hurry up and support the Wacom Intuos 2 stylus i spent a bomb on. I have tried just about every stylus under the sun, and always come back ot using my finger. The apple pencil and ipad pro looks very sexy, if you have a spare THB 50,000 (US 1,300 or so) lying around.
YOU are definitely the Procreator! I'm still learning how to use it. It made me mad to find (eventually) the copy and paste in it. And some days later I had forgotten and started searching again. Maybe next time I'll straight remember … but I can't really draw with it. Even with my great expensive Adonit I don't get the feeling for it. It is so unnatural to fiddle along with sliders when you are used to have a pencil and just prepare it more or less on the paper. Had a closer look to the apple pen. I am tempted! It really has that feature, but I'm not sure it's perfect. Especially not all apps are already prepared for it. And it's just the thickness of a pencil. I'd like to have more grip, a thicker handle. :) not sure it still works if I'd cover it up. but the tip is lovely! I like that it's connected the moment you plug it in, but I don't like it to charge that way. The complete pen hangs out. You can't pack it away without the great danger it breaks on the Lightning plug. Well, will take my pad to the shop and try it that way. But 100+€ are still A LOT! And you pay the half of it just because it's apple. Maybe waiting saves a fortune and some other pencil makers can do it just fine for half the money. :)

Gosh, Jasongag, I can't believe what you are making of the mess that isn't one! It is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful! For you there seems to be absolutely no difference between paper and ipad. WooooooooooooW! :inlove::inlove::inlove:
What pen do you use? o_O
Master of the pixel paintings!!!!!!!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
Want to do that, toooooooo!

Here's a video of me painting over a photo app mashup to bring out details. It's quite subtle so have to watch closely

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1457901700.844018.jpg

Portrait of Hannah, daughter of my Hong Kong friends. I went back to this as wasn't happy with skin tone, eye shape and there was a sloppy mistake.

Previous version

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1457902397.550514.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom