Remembering Our Beginnings

I began taking mobile photos long ago ... I'm sure I have some older than the one below if I would just take more time to dig a little. This photo is from 2008 and taken with one of my many Palm devices. Looking at the photos from that era, it is so impressive that mobile camera technology has improved so much in just 10 years. Many of my photos were out of focus and I remember having trouble getting the software to sharpen the correct areas within the frame. Now it is seamless. Thanks for the trip down memory lane RoseCat!
Photo_071708_001.jpg

I wish I had something to contribute, but prior to getting tangled up with a bunch of Mobitggers a year and a half ago, my stuff was all Sony, Canon and Photoshop.

I wish I had something to contribute, but prior to getting tangled up with a bunch of Mobitggers a year and a half ago, my stuff was all Sony, Canon and Photoshop.
You could still post your first mobile photos here... would love to see them! :)

I began taking mobile photos long ago ... I'm sure I have some older than the one below if I would just take more time to dig a little. This photo is from 2008 and taken with one of my many Palm devices. Looking at the photos from that era, it is so impressive that mobile camera technology has improved so much in just 10 years. Many of my photos were out of focus and I remember having trouble getting the software to sharpen the correct areas within the frame. Now it is seamless. Thanks for the trip down memory lane RoseCat!
View attachment 106747
I used to have a Palm Pilot! Didn’t know they could take photos? Or is it a different Palm device? Anyway, this is pretty good!

While I'm rambling on a bit, I spent 4 years as a mobile phone salesman shortly after uni more than 20 years ago now. I started when phones were all contract, for the well off and business types. Analogue phones were still around and although digitization was changing the market place, some phones were actually still quite hefty. I think the Motorola Startac was the first phone to weigh under 100g(?). That was £1400 when it first came out in 1996. (Apple aint trying hard enough) I ended up with an end of the line one a couple of years later for £30 (which indicates how fast the tech was developing then).
I was also there when "pay as you go" came out. It was that, imo, that changed the mobile from a high end, up market, exclusive item to the everyday commodity that pervades our world today. My job changed from making the customer feeling important and exclusive and upselling them (usually him) on accessories, insurance and features, to a pile 'em high, sell 'em in bulk, bargain bucket, lowest common denominator job within a couple of months, selling to every Tom, Dick and Harriet.

That job changed me. Mobiles sell themselves. Our job was to sell the add on things people didn't want and that is what our performance was judged on. I'm not a natural salesman so to survive in that environment I had to do things that goes against my nature. I came out of that job not liking myself much but have been much luckier since.

This is from 2007 taken on a nokia.
It's a dentist called 2th.

Attachments

• 847770280_fbd842f0d1_o.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 12
I went to Flickr and found my first selfie, 2013, iPhone 4s.
20180285135_94c176fae5_o.jpg

Also a still life, homemade bread and ghee. Same year and phone. Must be before I figured out the problem I have with wheat.
26542780903_09044445fa_o.jpg

Lastly a portrait of Rosie, same as above in one of the first breweries we ever visited. It was in front of a restaurant called Rogue’s Harbor. It no longer exists.
26541397444_542d57928a_o.jpg

I used to have a Palm Pilot! Didn’t know they could take photos? Or is it a different Palm device? Anyway, this is pretty good!

I don’t remember if they all did, this could be been my Treo ... too long ago. I also had Sony devices with the Palm os. I wonder if I could still do graffiti? :)

I went to Flickr and found my first selfie, 2013, iPhone 4s.View attachment 106757
Also a still life, homemade bread and ghee. Same year and phone. Must be before I figured out the problem I have with wheat. View attachment 106759
Lastly a portrait of Rosie, same as above in one of the first breweries we ever visited. It was in front of a restaurant called Rogue’s Harbor. It no longer exists. View attachment 106761
These are great!! Awww....look at Rosie.

While I'm rambling on a bit, I spent 4 years as a mobile phone salesman shortly after uni more than 20 years ago now. I started when phones were all contract, for the well off and business types. Analogue phones were still around and although digitization was changing the market place, some phones were actually still quite hefty. I think the Motorola Startac was the first phone to weigh under 100g(?). That was £1400 when it first came out in 1996. (Apple aint trying hard enough) I ended up with an end of the line one a couple of years later for £30 (which indicates how fast the tech was developing then).
I was also there when "pay as you go" came out. It was that, imo, that changed the mobile from a high end, up market, exclusive item to the everyday commodity that pervades our world today. My job changed from making the customer feeling important and exclusive and upselling them (usually him) on accessories, insurance and features, to a pile 'em high, sell 'em in bulk, bargain bucket, lowest common denominator job within a couple of months, selling to every Tom, Dick and Harriet.

That job changed me. Mobiles sell themselves. Our job was to sell the add on things people didn't want and that is what our performance was judged on. I'm not a natural salesman so to survive in that environment I had to do things that goes against my nature. I came out of that job not liking myself much but have been much luckier since.

This is from 2007 taken on a nokia.
It's a dentist called 2th.
Bummer, the image didn’t come through. :confused: If you post it again I can merge it with your original post.

Sales is a tough job... I’ve never done it, but I know I’d suck at it. “Don’t want one? Okay, have a great day!” LOL.

I remember my first portable car phone, sometime in the ‘90s. It was a big clunky thing, we carried it around in a big bag (I think the battery part was as big as the phone) but man I thought it was SO COOL.

Bummer, the image didn’t come through. :confused: If you post it again I can merge it with your original post.

Sales is a tough job... I’ve never done it, but I know I’d suck at it. “Don’t want one? Okay, have a great day!” LOL.

I remember my first portable car phone, sometime in the ‘90s. It was a big clunky thing, we carried it around in a big bag (I think the battery part was as big as the phone) but man I thought it was SO COOL.
The picture uploaded but didn't display. There's a link there though so it's viewable that way. I tried a few times and refreshed the page but it wouldn't attach I'm the normal way. I assumed it was something peculiar with the format as I had the same issue with a picture further up the thread which was from the same phone.

Back
Top Bottom