Rephotographing Old Photos

Wow these are fantastic!! Look at that beautiful stove!! :inlove: And I'm loving the Quaker Oats and Pillsbury flour...amazing some of these brands that have been around for so long. I can't tell, but is that some type of tissue paper decoration on the two shelves of the cabinet? Interesting...
Yes, they look to me like chains of paper decorations made by folding and then cutting (the way you would to make a chain of paper dolls). Lorraine told me it was common to make fancy edgings this way during this time.

Yes, they look to me like chains of paper decorations made by folding and then cutting (the way you would to make a chain of paper dolls). Lorraine told me it was common to make fancy edgings this way during this time.
That's what I thought they were too....

So, I have just found a whole stack of old photos from an old file of my Mom's many of which I can't remember ever seeing. I am scanning in most of them with an Epson 370 scanner. However, one of the problems I am having is that many of the photos have a fancy sheen on them which really doesn't scan well.

Here is a photo taken with the native app. It's a photo of my parent's wedding in Rhodesia.
IMG_5912.JPG

The second photo is taken with the Photoscan app by Google. It does a great job of removing a lot of the speckled surface but loses quite a lot of the detail and adds white stippling to the bottom of my father's jacket.
IMG_5913.JPG

This is the above photo run through Snapseed to improve the exposure/contrast:
IMG_5914.JPG

Possible a run through Noiseware might work although it didn't help on the first photo.

It's interesting comparing photos scanned with the Epson scanner and 'scanned' with the iPhone using the native app. The distant photos tend to come out better on the Epson and the close ups sometimes better on the iPhone.

Does anybody have any ideas for getting rid of the stippling either pre or post?

Back
Top Bottom