Resizing Images

docsimsim

MobiLurver
Looking at the images posted here, I've noticed that my photos have pixels under 1000 whereas others (those that I could check) had around 2000-4000 pixels. Is that because they're resized or is it to do with which app you peeps save in? Can anyone here clarify this for me? I've never bothered checking the pixels on my photos!!! RoseCat, vixenscry, Delta, Glenton or anyone else who can explain it to me? Preferably in simple terms as I'm a technophobe

Looking at the images posted here, I've noticed that my photos have pixels under 1000 whereas others (those that I could check) had around 2000-4000 pixels. Is that because they're resized or is it to do with which app you peeps save in? Can anyone here clarify this for me? I've never bothered checking the pixels on my photos!!! RoseCat, vixenscry, Delta, Glenton or anyone else who can explain it to me? Preferably in simple terms as I'm a technophobe
I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask..but I use Pureshot for all my images and I take them as TiFF's ( which means they are already large.) I only edit on my ipad so everything is saved there after editing. I upload to my desktop using dropbox. Most of the apps I use will save in what ever pixels the image was taken. I rarely resize but I do crop and only look at pixel size when I am submitting to contests. Hope that helps.

In my case:
"An Old Friend". Just Hipstamatic. 1936 x 1936. 0,7MB JPEG.
"Up with the Round". Just Hipstamatic. 1936 x 1936. 0,9MB JPEG.
"Waiting for the Bus". Hipsta + Filterstorm Neue (Crop). 908 x 908. 0,5MB JPEG.

When crop/resize you lose resolution in relation to the original shot, that is one important reason, I think after quality, someones find useful TIFF.
Hope this help.
My best.

Last edited:

Mobitog allows images up to 3000 x 3000 pixels without resizing down, so if you aren't cropping your images then check the size of your image before and after each app used. Many apps (including Snapseed*) do not output images at the same size as the original image opened; most apps that do this won't tell you and scale the output down. It's hard to tell just by looking at the image on a phone screen that the image size decreased and it's an unpleasant surprise when it happens.

*Snapseed scales down if the original image is bigger than 16mp (20mp on an iPad) but most users won't notice this because of the 8mp camera; these images will not be scaled down. The real offenders are apps that take an 8mp image and output 5mp or lower, sometimes much lower.

Good luck finding the culprit. You can safely use Snapseed to check the size of your images at each stage of your workflow unless you use Clear Cam (makes 18mp images) or a panorama app to capture your starting image.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask..but I use Pureshot for all my images and I take them as TiFF's ( which means they are already large.) I only edit on my ipad so everything is saved there after editing. I upload to my desktop using dropbox. Most of the apps I use will save in what ever pixels the image was taken. I rarely resize but I do crop and only look at pixel size when I am submitting to contests. Hope that helps.
In my case:
"An Old Friend". Just Hipstamatic. 1936 x 1936. 0,7MB JPEG.
"Up with the Round". Just Hipstamatic. 1936 x 1936. 0,9MB JPEG.
"Waiting for the Bus". Hipsta + Filterstorm Neue (Crop). 908 x 908. 0,5MB JPEG.

When crop/resize you lose resolution in relation to the original shot, that is one important reason, I think after quality, someones find useful TIFF.
Hope this help.
My best.
Tx. When I check my metadata in PhotoWizard, the pixels are high (2000+x2000+), but I noticed for the first time yesterday that my photos are less than 1000 pixels after being uploaded here on Mobitog! I just don't understand what's going on? The photo 'when the hamster died' was shot on hipsta so the pixels were high to begin with! Is it because I use Snapseed that the pixels are reduced? I'm soo puzzled by all this and tbh I just don't know what's going on. I do all my editing, loading on iPad, never use laptop or PC. Is that why???

Mobitog allows images up to 3000 x 3000 pixels without resizing down, so if you aren't cropping your images then check the size of your image before and after each app used. Many apps (including Snapseed*) do not output images at the same size as the original image opened; most apps that do this won't tell you and scale the output down. It's hard to tell just by looking at the image on a phone screen that the image size decreased and it's an unpleasant surprise when it happens.

*Snapseed scales down if the original image is bigger than 16mp (20mp on an iPad) but most users won't notice this because of the 8mp camera; these images will not be scaled down. The real offenders are apps that take an 8mp image and output 5mp or lower, sometimes much lower.

Good luck finding the culprit. You can safely use Snapseed to check the size of your images at each stage of your workflow unless you use Clear Cam (makes 18mp images) or a panorama app to capture your starting image.

Hope this helps.
Tx IPRuss. I mainly use Snapseed, so that might be the reason? I take photos on both iPhone/iPad but only edit in iPad. How can I check the metadata in Snapseed? The other app which I use a lot is PhotoWizard and the metadata on there shows my images to be 2000+ pixels! But I don't want to have to open images in photo wizard before uploading here or on Flickr as an extra app means reduced resolution.

So if the last edit I do is in Snapseed, then the pixels are always going to be lowered?!! Grrr. Also does cropping lower pixels, and Why? I often put my images through BigPhoto just before uploading here, so I don't understand why I get pixels lower than 1000??? Sorry for asking so many questions. Tx

Following on from discussion here...http://www.mobitog.com/threads/mobimono-101.18454/page-4#post-217836

Docsimsim, Snapseed should not reduce your image size, but you can use it to check image sizes by opening the image then tapping the question mark in the top right hand corner. Can you check an image size before you post to mobitog, then check the image size of the mobitog copy? I have done this for my entry to MobiMono and posting to mobitog did not change my image size.

If you are cropping an image, you are reducing the number of pixels in the image; anything you are not keeping is discarded, apps generally do not then scale the image back up. You can see this in Snapseed... open an image, check the size, then crop the image and check the size again.

Lastly, how are you transferring your photos from your phone to your iPad? If you use Photo Stream then your photos are always scaled down for the transfer.

Tx for the explanation. You're right, Snapseed per se is not scaling down, it's my cropping that's doing it, eek. So what do you do? You don't crop at all? Most of my images have to be cropped as without it I won't get the right ambiance.
I'm using a transfer app to transfer from phone to iPad. Is that reducing the pixels? Would it be better if I send it via email to my iPad (very time consuming but at least no damage to pixies). Tx

It's best to think of each pixel as a little blob (or box) of color, and an image as a matrix of those pixels. When you crop, you're not magnifying the bit of the image you want, but removing the bits you don't.

Take a very simple example, an image that is 10x10 pixels in size, and very, very boring:
crop-1.png

Now, let's say we only want the middle part of this image:
crop-2.png

When we crop into this area, we are left with an image that is only 4x4:
crop-3.png

If you want to keep the image at its original size, you then need to scale or intelligently resize it, via a process known as resampling, which will take the original pixel data and then, essentially, spread it out over a larger area, intelligently adding (interpolating) new pixels to fill in the gaps and overlaps. You can see, below, the lack of correlation between the boxes you have, and the matrix over which you want them to sit, which is obviously not an issue if all the boxes are the same color, but can be quite a big issue of they're all different.
crop-4.png

Many decent editing apps will allow you to scale, and will do a pretty good job of it (although it's important to remember that they are always messing around with the pixels that you actually captured, and adding new ones of their own, so you may lose detail, sharpness and so on).

Here's a real-world example (supersized!) of a 10x10 image being cropped and scaled—you can see how the scaling process has added in intermediary pixels with colors that are not in the original:
crop-5.png

(And yes, technical people, I am over-simplifying a little... ;-) )

The photo I've posted in Mobiono this week was taken with Procamera8, when I checked its size it's come up at 12.6MP. I also used litely and Reflect+, do any of you have any idea how it increased in size?

Just checked the original, it's 8MP

Last edited:
Thanks for the visuals Mike, much better than my wordy fumblings :)

Tx for the explanation. You're right, Snapseed per se is not scaling down, it's my cropping that's doing it, eek. So what do you do? You don't crop at all? Most of my images have to be cropped as without it I won't get the right ambiance.
I'm using a transfer app to transfer from phone to iPad. Is that reducing the pixels? Would it be better if I send it via email to my iPad (very time consuming but at least no damage to pixies). Tx

Docsimsim, I try to be careful cropping, not always successfully. If the subject is not moving, I will sometimes take some shots with Taru Camera and/or Clear Cam. Taru takes 12mp shots, and Clear Cam takes 18mp shots, so there is more to crop away without the image size becoming too small.

But really, I think it would be a shame for you to sacrifice a defining aspect of your images for the sake of a few pixels :)

I use a transfer app as well, I check it doesn't resize every now and then, especially for the big images from the apps mentioned above.

It's best to think of each pixel as a little blob (or box) of color, and an image as a matrix of those pixels. When you crop, you're not magnifying the bit of the image you want, but removing the bits you don't.

Take a very simple example, an image that is 10x10 pixels in size, and very, very boring:
View attachment 58256
Now, let's say we only want the middle part of this image:
View attachment 58257
When we crop into this area, we are left with an image that is only 4x4:
View attachment 58258
If you want to keep the image at its original size, you then need to scale or intelligently resize it, via a process known as resampling, which will take the original pixel data and then, essentially, spread it out over a larger area, intelligently adding (interpolating) new pixels to fill in the gaps and overlaps. You can see, below, the lack of correlation between the boxes you have, and the matrix over which you want them to sit, which is obviously not an issue if all the boxes are the same color, but can be quite a big issue of they're all different.
View attachment 58259
Many decent editing apps will allow you to scale, and will do a pretty good job of it (although it's important to remember that they are always messing around with the pixels that you actually captured, and adding new ones of their own, so you may lose detail, sharpness and so on).

Here's a real-world example (supersized!) of a 10x10 image being cropped and scaled—you can see how the scaling process has added in intermediary pixels with colors that are not in the original:
View attachment 58260
What a great visual... Helps tech challenged peeps like me. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom