R.I.P. Rest In Peace Larry (@Lzed)...

Dear Larry -

From one who had returned to the dead (21th May 2014) . . .

These statements were taped my hospital wall :View attachment 148556

“To win any battle, you must fight as if you are already dead.”

~ Miyamoto Musashi from A Book of Five Rings

“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.”

- Samuel Beckett

regards,

jsi

Quotes are good will use them

[Day 23] [Days in hospital]
Well slept not to bad. Will have to find what they have been giving me because I have been sleeping far better, might need prescription, don't know but would be nicer if it was over the counter but will see.

BP is still low so like yesterday you feel more like a specimen being watched all the time and of course more liquid...

Some talk about tests to do With pituitary gland which is another that helps regulate body temperature. As I said I think I am showing stuff they have not seen before and people’s curiosity makes them want to know more.

Have a bit of a mess to clean up.... bound to happen at some point and today was it...
The LPN brings me what I think she calls swish, basically a yellow sweet mouthwash and instead of spitting it out you swallow. It comes on one of those little plastic clear pill containers and I caught the top edge and that stuff went everywhere...

Funny as I was typing this LPN came in and then went and got a cloth so we could clean it up.. .

She was asking if I was comfortable and told her that I’ve felt better today and only needed two flannel blankets. She went over and someone had upped temp in here to +29 which is no wonder they overheat and I am comfy. She set it back to +27.... oh well, could’ve worse I guess.

A couple days ago the iPad died, well, out of juice. Sometime when they were moving my bed or I had cord too tight, long and short came undone.
Died at about 7 or 8 and I never thought to throw in a real book so not much to do. 7:30 is shift change here so did’t want to interrupt them for that so spent next hr watching the lightning show. That night there was lots of weather out by Moose Jaw. Still it kept me occupied though I wish I was able to get up and maybe get some pics.

Last night all cable did was flip between charging and not charging and tell me that it’s not recognized. When we bought these cables it came with 2 and a fast charger so David brought that in for me. Karen asked for me to check and see if she could bring in pizza. RN Kenny said he would race me down the hall to see who would get my portion
Had a better look at the cable that started acting up and can see some damage so probably on the floor and something rolled onto it.

Will have to check and see if Costco still has them. Thought it was a good deal, 2hr charger with 2 six foot long cables and were good up till this. I think around $20 for them.

Coronation80 you might know (for sure more then I know)
Heard about doing tests on Pituitary gland which also helps regulate body temperature.

Not much else happening or not yet
Seems like enough happening to be going on with. Take it easy. :inlove:

Quotes are good will use them
And now that you have piqued my interest you will have to tell us your story.

And this can apply to anyone that feels like sharing.

Right now my SisCo (Sister/cousin) (we are much closer I think to sister/brother then cousin so she calls me BroCo and I call her SisCo) is having a difficult time dealing with my situation and I know she has “sessions” where she breaks down and has a good cry. I sometimes do the same as emotions come into play. I also know her well enough that she wants to keep these guite for the others in the house. I have and will continue to push on her a bit to open up to her immediate family as I think information is a good thing.

For me, my journey is just starting, for others it may have ended or your somewhere else along that path and I would like to hear about them. So if you feel like sharing please add away.

Right now my SisCo (Sister/cousin) (we are much closer I think to sister/brother then cousin so she calls me BroCo and I call her SisCo) is having a difficult time dealing with my situation and I know she has “sessions” where she breaks down and has a good cry. I sometimes do the same as emotions come into play. I also know her well enough that she wants to keep these guite for the others in the house. I have and will continue to push on her a bit to open up to her immediate family as I think information is a good thing.

For me, my journey is just starting, for others it may have ended or your somewhere else along that path and I would like to hear about them. So if you feel like sharing please add away.
You’re such a generous man Larry. An inspiration. :inlove: :notworthy:

You’re such a generous man Larry. An inspiration. :inlove: :notworthy:
Yes..... :inlove: :notworthy:

[Day 22]
See and I couldn't do simple math, today is the 22nd day in hospital not the wrong one yesterday which was Day21...

In any case, really quite. BP has been 92-52 all morning and that is pretty good so at least I am not getting 'drink more water' or IV's at the moment.

On the whiteboard here there had been a doctor listed and up till today had not met him. He is another of the chemo doctors.
Just wanted to make sure I was warm enough. And I am not too bad today so far.

A bit more about pituitary gland
THYROID-STIMULATING HORMONE (TSH)
This hormones stimulates the thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormones, which regulate the body's metabolism, energy balance, growth, and nervous system activity. Too much TSH is rare and will cause hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone). Lack of TSH results in hypothyroidism (not enough thyroid hormone).

I find it pretty amazing how things are interlinked between different glands etc. I certainly didn't know about the Thyroid/pituitary gland links.

Steven and Janelle had gone camping got home to find the front door was not locked. Not sure what happened because I thought I had drilled that into their heads.. bad enough to forget when someone is staying there but to leave it open and nobody home is asking to get cleaned out. As I said to Steven from street you can see most of the stuff-in the living room.

Maybe I am just over reacting but...

Steven said it rained most of the way home and from Ring video looked like it. Here we only had a couple showers..

BP has stayed pretty good

Larry, I’m sending you my best wishes and a favourite flower, Rabbits Foot Clover, and considering the number of them it adds up to lots of good luck for you.
8E5387B5-FA37-4B97-A28D-EF8389F2141B.jpeg

I find it pretty amazing how things are interlinked between different glands etc. I certainly didn't know about the Thyroid/pituitary gland links.

Steven and Janelle had gone camping got home to find the front door was not locked. Not sure what happened because I thought I had drilled that into their heads.. bad enough to forget when someone is staying there but to leave it open and nobody home is asking to get cleaned out. As I said to Steven from street you can see most of the stuff-in the living room.

Maybe I am just over reacting but...

Steven said it rained most of the way home and from Ring video looked like it. Here we only had a couple showers..

BP has stayed pretty good
I think, if I’d been S and J, I might not have told you about the whole door locking thing. Especially as nothing untoward happened. :rolleyes: It’s inevitable that you’re going to have good days and not so good days, so make the most of those good ones. Hopefully, the bad ones will be few and far between. And that goes for the hospital food too. If you get an urge for something, get someone to bring it in.

Sorry it took me so long, Larry, found the thread some days ago and couldn’t read it (time, not content), deeply sorry for forgetting about it, but came back, started, phone rang, went, at least with the message on my mind to send to you.
Now finally with carrying my thoughts for you around with me (sending you prayers and helpful thoughts and wishes in my mind) I finally found the time to visualise it and now posting.
Will read the thread later (2night’s the night) but be sure of all thinking of you.

FA15938E-7837-4994-9055-31F9C1F21B86.jpeg

Thanks from the bottom of my heart. I wish there was news but so far that has been pretty light. Chemo treatments are lite as in they don't want to set something off with heart or the shadow of a tumour so extra caution all around.
Today was treatment #4 and lite again.. Daughter Katina is supposed to be here sometime tonight and Joyce (Sister) will get here middle of next week. Nice to see them. Other then that pretty guite

Thanks from the bottom of my heart. I wish there was news but so far that has been pretty light. Chemo treatments are lite as in they don't want to set something off with heart or the shadow of a tumour so extra caution all around.
Today was treatment #4 and lite again.. Daughter Katina is supposed to be here sometime tonight and Joyce (Sister) will get here middle of next week. Nice to see them. Other then that pretty guite
We’re here for you, Larry, in heart and spirit. xoxo ❤️

Even when it’s quiet, and nothing much seems to be going on, it’s still lovely to hear from you, so keep posting when you can. Let us know how you’re sleeping, whether you’re eating okay etc. Otherwise we’ll worry. :lol:

Even when it’s quiet, and nothing much seems to be going on, it’s still lovely to hear from you, so keep posting when you can. Let us know how you’re sleeping, whether you’re eating okay etc. Otherwise we’ll worry. :lol:
Absolutely.... you don’t want us wandering around here worried about you, Larry dear. :mobibabe:

Yes Mommy Jill
I actual ate most of breakfast which was scrambled eggs and toast, jam. Boost and orange juice.
Last night I ate most of supper. Something I have only seen in hospital, Buffalo/ Beef stew (Steven says moose and most other wild meats are much leaner then things Ike beef which is why they make blends) with hardtack which before now had not had and I like it as well.
I am trying to eat better but for example at home I do not eat most cereal or porridge.i do each a mix of honey and plain oats but dry and frankly it the honey that I like.

Not sure what happened but I had talked about the PICT line that they put in, in my case for two lines, one for blood, other

for IV. Anyways it had come loose and pulled partially ot. Yesterday they sent me down, I thought at the time to get it fixed and or relocated. Nurses didn't like where he had put them, not sure of exact reasons. So took me downstairs and took one x-ray and sent me back up so not sure what was going on.

This morning they said I would be going down shortly and then a short time later told that doctor here was no longer available so now will have to go to General Hospital on Tuesdayto get it done so another short ride between hospitals, just takes time.

Last night was weird night, slept some but awake from 2;30 till 5 or so, strange dreams though I can't recall much about them, you know just wake up and seems like a strange slightly spooky place and nothing really looks familiar. Yes I did tell you weird. Part of my issue was also my legs were low and should have been much higher.(hospital beds can have a tiLt from foot of the bed to top of the bed and this is what that comment was about. Feet will lose weight/size if they are kept elevated. Mine for example I always have a slight front to top tilt. This bed also has this function but that is locked out of their user mode panel which is limited to I can elevate head or feet or I can lower them but that is all. My handheld remote also has full controllincluding level up and down, basically it will flatten everything theraise or lower until you stop it or it reaches as far as it can.
I also have what is called Planters faciitus which also can have some weird effects, one I get fairly often is that my heels feel like they are in a pail with other cables, yes I told you weird.

Physio girls surprised me as they did show up, like they said. There are some concerns about besttime for physio when you are in something like chemo. Basically it’s supposed to aid chemo in working faster dilemma arises when if things get to active (like my enlarged left ventricle) which if pressed may go into arrest and for me puff!

Yes Mommy Jill
I actual ate most of breakfast which was scrambled eggs and toast, jam. Boost and orange juice.
Last night I ate most of supper. Something I have only seen in hospital, Buffalo/ Beef stew (Steven says moose and most other wild meats are much leaner then things Ike beef which is why they make blends) with hardtack which before now had not had and I like it as well.
I am trying to eat better but for example at home I do not eat most cereal or porridge.i do each a mix of honey and plain oats but dry and frankly it the honey that I like.

Not sure what happened but I had talked about the PICT line that they put in, in my case for two lines, one for blood, other

for IV. Anyways it had come loose and pulled partially ot. Yesterday they sent me down, I thought at the time to get it fixed and or relocated. Nurses didn't like where he had put them, not sure of exact reasons. So took me downstairs and took one x-ray and sent me back up so not sure what was going on.

This morning they said I would be going down shortly and then a short time later told that doctor here was no longer available so now will have to go to General Hospital on Tuesdayto get it done so another short ride between hospitals, just takes time.

Last night was weird night, slept some but awake from 2;30 till 5 or so, strange dreams though I can't recall much about them, you know just wake up and seems like a strange slightly spooky place and nothing really looks familiar. Yes I did tell you weird. Part of my issue was also my legs were low and should have been much higher.(hospital beds can have a tiLt from foot of the bed to top of the bed and this is what that comment was about. Feet will lose weight/size if they are kept elevated. Mine for example I always have a slight front to top tilt. This bed also has this function but that is locked out of their user mode panel which is limited to I can elevate head or feet or I can lower them but that is all. My handheld remote also has full controllincluding level up and down, basically it will flatten everything theraise or lower until you stop it or it reaches as far as it can.
I also have what is called Planters faciitus which also can have some weird effects, one I get fairly often is that my heels feel like they are in a pail with other cables, yes I told you weird.

Physio girls surprised me as they did show up, like they said. There are some concerns about besttime for physio when you are in something like chemo. Basically it’s supposed to aid chemo in working faster dilemma arises when if things get to active (like my enlarged left ventricle) which if pressed may go into arrest and for me puff!
Because you’ve been so good, you can have extra icecream. :D It’s nice to hear what’s going on. Probably all the weirdness is coming from the chemotherapy. Rog had some very odd experiences when he was on it (via a PICT line too). Plantar fasciitus as well as everything else? I know that can be quite painful.

I’m happy to hear this... sounds like the food there is surprisingly good. :thumbs: :hugs: xo

Some of the food is good, some, well, will not go there.
Some things are difficult to get them to accept, for example I do not like porridge, I do not like most dry food like corn flakes, rice crispiest etc, never have liked not eat them now but you have to put something in.
Today’s soup I tried, didn't like so left the rest. Main was turkey stew and buns and was pretty good so I ate it. Sometimes you just come across both good and bad. Tonight was roast beef, mashed potatoes and Yorkshire pudding and mixed, veggies Yorkshire Pudding that I really don't like I left, rest I ate.
Yes I know some days I can't find anything I like but other days I do so figure in the end it’s about even, but they don't go by what you do or don't eat, they take cover off and say not touched, barely touched etc without find why people aren't eating it.

Had good sleep last night, down by about 10 and I don't recall anything till about 5am..

Yesterday when Katina came in she brought a new heating pad. I used to have one sometime in last six moths and disappeared, no idea where to. Anyways had looked on and off and nothing so I started thinking about getting another.. decided to look around and found what I though was a good one for decent price and 1 day delivery. $38cdn later , next morning was there so Katina brought it in. Nice plush cover that is machine washable. Nice big heater, 24in x 35in long so well over double the size of my old one.5 power levels and timer with 1 or 2 hrs. I had them reset room temp to normal and have had heater on either as low as it would go or step 2 and so far I have been good for temp although I will put on a toque. Girls checked just before supper to see if there were any cold/hot/pressure spots and nothing at all. So it seems to be pretty well made.

Other thing looking into is Cannabis oils. Some say they would be good for after hospital pain control and I have to look at stuff like this now not when I need it. I talked to Dr Salim (Cancer Clinic head) and she said that at some point the conversation would happen. Feeling I got was positive. Anyways they have their hoops to go through so she will lack to head of Paliative who is ultimately the dept in charge of that so maybe next week that will happen. Hydromorphone for example is not even a prescription drug or at least here and so far that is the main pain killer here. Might be perscription someplace here but I have no idea where to look. I checked with the pharmacy around here and no go.

Will also look into some other stuff.

Well they decided I needed the very long compression socks again and did get them on. With this set left leg is the really painfull and right was easy, same as yesterday. Normally left leg is the painful one but not these. Most trouble is heel and ball of ankle that are the really painful spots. I have also not seen compression socks like these, normal compression socks end just before knee and always thought it would be better if they were maybe a couple inches higher. These went on past the top of my thighs, try crotch high and at top are fine, even as I said up to about mid thigh was fine. But at least I have them and when I go home that kind of stuff goes with you, otherwise gets thrown away.

Hi Larry, and greetings from Fogo Island, Newfoundland. (yes, fellow Canadians here!) I am brand-new to this awesome forum, and have just stumbled upon this thread. My wife and I are rooting for you, my newfound friend, and we're sending positive vibes all the way from Canada's East Coast! We will keep checking in on you regularly, and we wish you the very best in the coming days. I too have some health issues, having been mostly bedridden for the past 15 years, after suffering a life-changing fall in the workplace. But there are good and bad days, and we must make the very most of the good ones and learn to simply shrug off the not-so-good!

I am posting what I call one of my "feel-good" photos, which I think you may find to be as calming and pretty and serene as I do. This is Sandy Cove Beach, located just outside the historic (and quite Irish!) little community of Tilting, on the east side of Fogo Island... Fogo is a 90-minute ferry ride off the north coast of Newfoundland, and I don't think that a more lovely place exists anywhere. And where else can one find a km-long stretch of fine white sand beach nowadays, where you can almost always have it all to yourself, even in the middle of summer? (well actually, as you can see, on this particular day I was forced to share it with another couple who were out for a stroll!) I snapped this quick picture using my new smartphone, (the Xiaomi Mi 9) which is SO good that it almost makes me forget all about my DSLR bodies and boatload of lenses! Who knew that using a phone for capturing my Newfoundland landscapes could be so much fun!

Anyway, here's wishing you all the very best, and please know that all of us on here are rooting for you!

Glen and Linda and family
Fogo Island, NL

PS: I see that you are from Regina. We have only been there once... it was in February of 2016, when we traveled there to attend our youngest daughter's graduation from the RCMP Academy. ("Royal Canadian Mounted Police" for those who may not be familar with Canada's federal police force) Yes indeed, very proud parents here!

Larry, thinking about you, pal. I don't have any images to match the many superb photos posted so far but I'm channelling huge amounts of positive thoughts your way. Hope somebody will be there to sign for them and that they're not just chucked over the fence by an over-zealous courier. :thumbs:

Other thing looking into is Cannabis oils. Some say they would be good for after hospital pain control and I have to look at stuff like this now not when I need it. I talked to Dr Salim (Cancer Clinic head) and she said that at some point the conversation would happen. Feeling I got was positive.
I’ve heard a lot of positive stuff about this, so really glad you’re looking into it.

Back
Top Bottom