R.I.P. Rest In Peace Larry (@Lzed)...

Hi Larry, and greetings from Fogo Island, Newfoundland. (yes, fellow Canadians here!) I am brand-new to this awesome forum, and have just stumbled upon this thread. My wife and I are rooting for you, my newfound friend, and we're sending positive vibes all the way from Canada's East Coast! We will keep checking in on you regularly, and we wish you the very best in the coming days. I too have some health issues, having been mostly bedridden for the past 15 years, after suffering a life-changing fall in the workplace. But there are good and bad days, and we must make the very most of the good ones and learn to simply shrug off the not-so-good!

I am posting what I call one of my "feel-good" photos, which I think you may find to be as calming and pretty and serene as I do. This is Sandy Cove Beach, located just outside the historic (and quite Irish!) little community of Tilting, on the east side of Fogo Island... Fogo is a 90-minute ferry ride off the north coast of Newfoundland, and I don't think that a more lovely place exists anywhere. And where else can one find a km-long stretch of fine white sand beach nowadays, where you can almost always have it all to yourself, even in the middle of summer? (well actually, as you can see, on this particular day I was forced to share it with another couple who were out for a stroll!) I snapped this quick picture using my new smartphone, (the Xiaomi Mi 9) which is SO good that it almost makes me forget all about my DSLR bodies and boatload of lenses! Who knew that using a phone for capturing my Newfoundland landscapes could be so much fun!

Anyway, here's wishing you all the very best, and please know that all of us on here are rooting for you!

Glen and Linda and family
Fogo Island, NL

PS: I see that you are from Regina. We have only been there once... it was in February of 2016, when we traveled there to attend our youngest daughter's graduation from the RCMP Academy. ("Royal Canadian Mounted Police" for those who may not be familar with Canada's federal police force) Yes indeed, very proud parents here!
View attachment 149049
Never been to east coast. Most of my family was west coast so spend to far more time going that direction. We have been to various funtions at the barricades and tours etc.
We just happened to settle here manny years ago. Backinmid 70’s marketfell out on the west coast and work was hard to find. Spent about a month on the road trying to find work which I did in Saskatoon. Lived there for many years and got a job offing in Regina where we still are.wife has MS and after 3 back surgeries a spinal cord injury. At the time they puthere on paraplegic program and some drug planetc. Most of these programs may or may not have an equivalent program but if wedecided to move them you would have to through that whole process again. If we stay allher drugsare covered along with all the other benefits so no planning on moving.

My issues I thought were newer but right now I am not sure. I try to figure out in my mind when certain things started and reallycan't pin exact dates to them. I know some like the cold shakes I don't recall having prior to Jan 2018 but the problem is that it may have been shorter or longer because you ca't recall or think of every instance. Also not sure has been festering in the background for even longer.

I have cold shakes and can't seem to get warm no matter what I try and so far not much luck tracking it down here either.

I also have pretty much a full body rash. One small blessing is that it has not been itchy like some can be but if you wash area with alcohol it seems like that whole area changes how rash shows and feels sometimes like it’s on fire, again doesn’t last long but.

I also have an enlarged left ventricle and it’s own tumour. Pulmonary function is around 50% of what it should be, The tumor they figure is caught in a very slow Eddie but could at pretty much any time become an issue. They have been looking into thyroid gland, Pituitary gland and have done 4 MRI's so rar, the lymphoma biopsy’s and are still talking about a bone marrow biopsy.

Tomorrow I will go down to get a new PICP line put in. Old one became disconnected, not sure how. But it did so it will get redone. Basically has to leads,one for drawing bloodwork and the second for IV. The girl that does bloodwork is really good but getting a needle every time can be hard on you. The IV port can be larger using the PICP line as it’s introduces where veins are larger and also makes it faster. And again no more trying to get an IV line in every time which can be painfull.

Getting compression socks on and off can also be painful.

I’ve heard a lot of positive stuff about this, so really glad you’re looking into it.
I had also heard about Cannabis oil before but like everything never really think about it maybe you needing it. I knew my daughter was on it out in Calgary for some of her issues and it appears that it works quite good. Will see how it will fit in with mine but because I have the issues but no reasons, prognosis or much of anything at this time it will make that and other processes even longer.
oil is what I am looking at,I am not after the high you can get but to replace the existing pain relief that I get by Hydromorphone.

Me too. I think it won’t be long before it’s a standard prescription for many things.
Yes lots of new info coming all the time and new things they can do. Some may be of help, others maybe not so much. Seems like new articles on a daily basis. I see Katina left me some of her stuff. oil Bunnies, oil and thc oil which will I guess look into. About all I know offhand is that it is more the euphoric oil but will have to see what else it does.

Katina headed back to Calgary and should get home around 8:30 local time. She was talking about next weekend or the week after but as I told her right neither Karen or I know where we will be etc. Besides while she has been maintains her grades etc right now sh has a couple more finals coming up and needless to say she needs study time as well. Time will tel. They are saying at least 5 weeks for Karen but I am an open slate so no idea how much longer, already over a moth that I have been in and not much to show. And Karen had at least a couple weeks on myself.

I’ve heard a lot of positive stuff about this, so really glad you’re looking into it.
Can confirm that cannabis oil does indeed help with moderate-to-severe pain. I have experienced no relief from CBD oil, but ingesting a small dose of THC oil (0.5 ml) helps immensely each night. And as someone who has suffered from severe insomnia for many years, THC oil has been an absolute godsend, allowing me to enjoy an entire night of uninterrupted sleep, while every other prescription sleep aid over the years has completely failed me!

I also have a cannabis vaporizer; (for dry flower only, as inhaling oil is harmful) this method also works wonders for me, and is much healthier than "smoking" it. So yes, THC has given me my life back, while the CBD did nothing to help with my insomnia, nor my chronic pain.

Some of the food is good, some, well, will not go there.
Some things are difficult to get them to accept, for example I do not like porridge, I do not like most dry food like corn flakes, rice crispiest etc, never have liked not eat them now but you have to put something in.
Today’s soup I tried, didn't like so left the rest. Main was turkey stew and buns and was pretty good so I ate it. Sometimes you just come across both good and bad. Tonight was roast beef, mashed potatoes and Yorkshire pudding and mixed, veggies Yorkshire Pudding that I really don't like I left, rest I ate.
Yes I know some days I can't find anything I like but other days I do so figure in the end it’s about even, but they don't go by what you do or don't eat, they take cover off and say not touched, barely touched etc without find why people aren't eating it.

Had good sleep last night, down by about 10 and I don't recall anything till about 5am..

Yesterday when Katina came in she brought a new heating pad. I used to have one sometime in last six moths and disappeared, no idea where to. Anyways had looked on and off and nothing so I started thinking about getting another.. decided to look around and found what I though was a good one for decent price and 1 day delivery. $38cdn later , next morning was there so Katina brought it in. Nice plush cover that is machine washable. Nice big heater, 24in x 35in long so well over double the size of my old one.5 power levels and timer with 1 or 2 hrs. I had them reset room temp to normal and have had heater on either as low as it would go or step 2 and so far I have been good for temp although I will put on a toque. Girls checked just before supper to see if there were any cold/hot/pressure spots and nothing at all. So it seems to be pretty well made.

Other thing looking into is Cannabis oils. Some say they would be good for after hospital pain control and I have to look at stuff like this now not when I need it. I talked to Dr Salim (Cancer Clinic head) and she said that at some point the conversation would happen. Feeling I got was positive. Anyways they have their hoops to go through so she will lack to head of Paliative who is ultimately the dept in charge of that so maybe next week that will happen. Hydromorphone for example is not even a prescription drug or at least here and so far that is the main pain killer here. Might be perscription someplace here but I have no idea where to look. I checked with the pharmacy around here and no go.

Will also look into some other stuff.

Well they decided I needed the very long compression socks again and did get them on. With this set left leg is the really painfull and right was easy, same as yesterday. Normally left leg is the painful one but not these. Most trouble is heel and ball of ankle that are the really painful spots. I have also not seen compression socks like these, normal compression socks end just before knee and always thought it would be better if they were maybe a couple inches higher. These went on past the top of my thighs, try crotch high and at top are fine, even as I said up to about mid thigh was fine. But at least I have them and when I go home that kind of stuff goes with you, otherwise gets thrown away.
Marvellous. It seems that things are moving on and you’re talking about going home, so that’s good.

Can confirm that cannabis oil does indeed help with moderate-to-severe pain. I have experienced no relief from CBD oil, but ingesting a small dose of THC oil (0.5 ml) helps immensely each night. And as someone who has suffered from severe insomnia for many years, THC oil has been an absolute godsend, allowing me to enjoy an entire night of uninterrupted sleep, while every other prescription sleep aid over the years has completely failed me!

I also have a cannabis vaporizer; (for dry flower only, as inhaling oil is harmful) this method also works wonders for me, and is much healthier than "smoking" it. So yes, THC has given me my life back, while the CBD did nothing to help with my insomnia, nor my chronic pain.

Excuse me asking, but is the oil for rub on or swallow??? And does it have side effects if swallowed? Like getting high?
And for the vaporiser you need the real thing? What about side effects here?
Sorry for being curious but I would like to understand how this works. Maybe for later reference. Is oil prescription free? Well I even if …prolly not in Germany.

Excuse me asking, but is the oil for rub on or swallow??? And does it have side effects if swallowed? Like getting high?
And for the vaporiser you need the real thing? What about side effects here?
Sorry for being curious but I would like to understand how this works. Maybe for later reference. Is oil prescription free? Well I even if …prolly not in Germany.
Hi GroovyGouvy! The oil is swallowed, or can be added to food or drink. Some people place it under their tongue for awhile prior to swallowing, but this made no difference for me. CBD oil will not cause one to become "high", but THC will, if enough is ingested. My vaporizer is for dried flower... in other words the actual dried cannabis buds. Some people will use a different type of vaporizer that takes a special cartridge filled with cannabis oil, but there are negative health effects from this type of vaporizer. Likewise, smoking a joint is bad for your health also... any time you heat cannabis (or tobacco for that matter) up to a burning temperature, it becomes seriously unhealthy. So the whole idea behind a dried flower vaporizer is that it is incapable of heating the product up to the point where it has reached combustion. (burning) The vaporizer will only heat it up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 210 degrees, (C) so rather than it burning the product, it is simply vaporizing it... essentially turning it into steam which is inhaled... this is also a much more efficient way of using cannabis. (You are able to get much more of the THC extracted from it, as compared to smoking it)

Regarding your question about possible side effects from using a (dried flower) vaporizer... health-wise, there are none. But if you take enough of it you will feel "high". (which is kind of similar to the feeling you have when you consume a few alcoholic drinks)

Here in Canada, cannabis is 100% legal, (as of October, 2018) whether it be in the form of dried flower or oils or capsules... in fact we order ours online, directly from the provincial government website... so definitely no prescription required. And within the next few months, pot "edibles" will also be legal, and sold through these same Canadian Gov't websites. It is perfectly legal to grow your own plants in Canada. (the seeds and starter plants (seedlings) are also sold through these Gov't sites. I am not sure whether any form of cannabis is legal in Germany. (or possibly only with a prescription?)

I'm not an expert on the subject, by any stretch of the imagination; in fact in my 57 years, I tried cannabis for the very first time last fall, when it became legalized in Canada. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I find that it helps immensely with my moderate to severe chronic pain (from a permanently damaged upper spine) and also provides this severe insomniac with a great night's sleep, for the first time in many, many years!

So the whole idea behind a dried flower vaporizer is that it is incapable of heating the product up to the point where it has reached combustion. (burning) The vaporizer will only heat it up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 210 degrees, (C) so rather than it burning the product, it is simply vaporizing it... essentially turning it into steam which is inhaled... this is also a much more efficient way of using cannabis.
This is intriguing... sounds like a great way to get the benefits. I agree that smoking (anything) is not healthy.

Here in Canada, cannabis is 100% legal, (as of October, 2018) whether it be in the form of dried flower or oils or capsules
As it should be. And one of the many reasons I love Canada. :inlove: I am a big proponent of legalizing it everywhere. I’m happy that the state I’m moving to, Washington, is progressive and has legalized it.

and also provides this severe insomniac with a great night's sleep, for the first time in many, many years!
I have occasional bouts of insomnia... maybe I should give this a try! Do you use the dried flower vape for this purpose?

RoseCat, I use the oil much more often than I do the vaporizer. The only advantage that the vaporizer has over ingesting the oil, is that you feel it's effects much quicker than you do from the oil. (less than 5 minutes vs 2-3 hours) The disadvantage of the vaporizer is that the effects don't last nearly as long as ingesting the oil. (1-2 hours vs 5-6 hours)

Marvellous. It seems that things are moving on and you’re talking about going home, so that’s good.
Jilly

Not sure about any time soon. I have mobility issues, mostly my thighs are much smaller and weaker then before. I still have issues with hospital food. We decided to have a family meeting, maybe a bit formal this time and some new people will be present. Partially it about what happens next. Can’t see myself in hospital for much longer. But the alternative is not pleasant either. Joyce will bring Karen over, boys will make there was and a few doctors as well as a gal from social media and a nurses aide.

Jilly

Not sure about any time soon. I have mobility issues, mostly my thighs are much smaller and weaker then before. I still have issues with hospital food. We decided to have a family meeting, maybe a bit formal this time and some new people will be present. Partially it about what happens next. Can’t see myself in hospital for much longer. But the alternative is not pleasant either. Joyce will bring Karen over, boys will make there was and a few doctors as well as a gal from social media and a nurses aide.
Sending more love... ❤

Jilly

Sending love, hugs and prayers. :hearteyes:

Jilly

Ooooh, this sounds serious.:( But then this is probably the time when you should be doing what you think is right for you. Lots of love to you and yours.:inlove:

From what I gather Steven has an iPhone for me. Might bring it down tomorrow. Will be nice to have although I don't have a lot of people in lists or anything.

Clarification on some things.

MRI #1 - soft tissue from lower back to top of thighs, results - none

MRI#2 - Thyroid gland - results - nothing major

MRI#3 - head and neck also covers Pituitary Gland - results - nothing major

MRI#4 - base of spine - nothing major, an abscess on one of the lobes - inconclusive

I have only been given 1 chemo treatment and about the treatment was again not really conclusive, ie showed that it was starting to kill the cancer cells. Biggest issue is that my BPv started going all over the place and kept dropping. Because of this they changed my drugs and hoped to get the BP back under control.

They have done several attempts to give me the chemo and regulate the BP better, without any luck

No addition info on the rash that persists

No addition info on why I am so cool even in a warm room ie both Pituitary and

As you know, the doctor wanted another family meeting which we had. Joyce and I had come up with a few questions and I had sent to everyone there which would show what we were after.

Social services gal was there and it is going to brunt of the work..

Head dr of Chemo along with his assistant, also physio therapy sort of stuck their heads in the door and left.

Long and short is still my issues and at this point we may never figure out why the heat and cold or the rash which today has been more bother( some, again no clear idea why’s but they are there (more of them) also today they are itchy,

The big issue with my heart and enlarged left ventricle means that heart surgery would finish me. Other options are also not appealing. I am physically unable to do full chemo. Every time they have tried doing the chemo I have had issues with BP and that series, several have lasted only a few moments until they have to start the IV, or restart onelasts until they can start me on iv with water.

I have also been on several blood thinners and again they are not working

Was able to find out from a Rn more about the MRI'is but again they have no way to change them in time.

Right now as I said both Karen and my health are going to come down to doctors and physio etc.

Not the outcome I want but pthis point the only we have. Will there be options down the road, maybe, just don't many will have also been on list by mistake. More data the larger the likelihood of mistakes.

From what I gather Steven has an iPhone for me. Might bring it down tomorrow. Will be nice to have although I don't have a lot of people in lists or anything.

MRI#4 - base of spine - nothing major, an abscess on one of the lobes - inconclusive

I have only been given 1 chemo treatment and about the treatment was again not really conclusive, ie showed that it was starting to kill the cancer cells. Biggest issue is that my BPv started going all over the place and kept dropping. Because of this they changed my drugs and hoped to get the BP back under control.

They have done several attempts to give me the chemo and regulate the BP better, without any luck

As you know, the doctor wanted another family meeting which we had. Joyce and I had come up with a few questions and I had sent to everyone there which would show what we were after.

Head dr of Chemo along with his assistant, also physio therapy sort of stuck their heads in the door and left.

Long and short is still my issues and at this point we may never figure out why the heat and cold or the rash which today has been more bother( some, again no clear idea why’s but they are there (more of them) also today they are itchy,

The big issue with my heart and enlarged left ventricle means that heart surgery would finish me. Other options are also not appealing. I am physically unable to do full chemo. Every time they have tried doing the chemo I have had issues with BP and that series, several have lasted only a few moments until they have to start the IV, or restart onelasts until they can start me on iv with water.

Was able to find out from a Rn more about the MRI'is but again they have no way to change them in time.

Right now as I said both Karen and my health are going to come down to doctors and physio etc.

Not the outcome I want but pthis point the only we have. Will there be options down the road, maybe, just don't many will have also been on list by mistake. More data the larger the likelihood of mistakes.
I like the MRI results... but then all the other stuff was not so great. :( I’m still hoping for the best, Larry. xo

Not a lot outside of all the excitement yesterday. Had some guy come in and started talking to me about some of the facilities that I could be moved to then I think someone from security took him. Anyways that left us with a whole set of questions, guy also the , 2 fo 2:5 weeks then left for me.

We think he is a few bolts short. Anyways he is gone and maybe a few answers. There is no definitive way of estimating how long anythingis going to survive by using cardboard. Nor is there any way for them to give you a prognosis estimate based on samematerial..

About the only constants are from what Get is the the chemo itself will alter based on everything but again things might get misdiagnosed

Not a lot outside of all the excitement yesterday. Had some guy come in and started talking to me about some of the facilities that I could be moved to then I think someone from security took him. Anyways that left us with a whole set of questions, guy also the , 2 fo 2:5 weeks then left for me.

We think he is a few bolts short. Anyways he is gone and maybe a few answers. There is no definitive way of estimating how long anythingis going to survive by using cardboard. Nor is there any way for them to give you a prognosis estimate based on samematerial..

About the only constants are from what Get is the the chemo itself will alter based on everything but again things might get misdiagnosed
That DOES sound exciting! :confused: Errmm, not sure about the cardboard bit, but I’m glad that you’re keeping in contact. :thumbs:

Oh my heavens! I just found this thread and am subscribing immediately!

Sending positive thoughts Larry... wishing you better days ahead.

Here is a sunrise shot from this morning... one of my favorite things, Sunday Morning Sunrise...

9CAFC55A-334A-4682-B093-63E790B82E4B.jpeg

Wish I could help. So sorry. Wish you all and even more of the best. :inlove:

Back
Top Bottom