B&W RESULT: #101 Black & White Challenge

Car Park Reflections

B1621F0F-378E-4AF0-9D6F-E1395AFD3C15.jpeg

Snapseed, PS Express

lkbside Leslie’s two fantastic images bring this #101 Black and White Challenge to a CLOSE. terse Ted will still be in his tiger print onesie at the moment in the land of Nod. But when he does surface, has drunk several cups of coffee and done the crossword, this week it is his task to judge and choose his favourites from all of these marvellous images. Whenever you’re ready Ted - no hurry.:thumbs:

The new #102 Black & White Challenge is up and running here.

Another excellent week for B/W photos. And no doubt you could each come up with a different set of winners -- we all see the images in our own way. Here are my choices:

First: sdimbour "View from Notre Dame Cathedral" I kept coming back to look at this image, trying to decide what attracted me to it so much. It has bright, beautiful light, a sharp and detailed overview of Paris (with the Eiffel Tower!), and a close view of the aged stone walkway and turret. But what somehow makes it magic for me is the curved network of wire that overlays the whole scene. (And if I'd been standing there instead of Sandra, I'd bet that I would have tried to shoot through the gaps to avoid the wire instead of making it a feature of the image.)

643f037a-c518-4d94-8f52-b16cccfd6e76-jpeg.116778

Second: JillyG "The Lovebirds" Another image with some magic in it: The dark and isolated surroundings contrasting with the relaxed pose and lightness of the figures, and then accented with those strange masks fixed to the tree in the background. It's a very asymmetric composition, with all the action on the left half, but it works for me.

c686cbbf-9c69-4fd3-8404-87e0541f16e7-jpeg.116482

Third: TomHH "THE chair" A classic B/W, nearly abstract, of a classic shape, and taken from an interesting point of view, contrasting the bright metal of the chair with the dark steel of the floor. (I only hope not to be sitting in the chair when lightning strikes.)

img_20170828_160822854_hdr-01-01-jpeg.116760

Honorable Mentions to:
  • deepop's Australia photos, especially the girls in the flying saucer hats
  • sinnerjohn's "Inside" at Canterbury
  • Jef's "Quiet Downtown"
  • dscheff's "Industry"
  • Starzee's "Dolly in the Drinking Bowl"
  • lkbside's two from "Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument"

Another excellent week for B/W photos. And no doubt you could each come up with a different set of winners -- we all see the images in our own way. Here are my choices:

First: sdimbour "View from Notre Dame Cathedral" I kept coming back to look at this image, trying to decide what attracted me to it so much. It has bright, beautiful light, a sharp and detailed overview of Paris (with the Eiffel Tower!), and a close view of the aged stone walkway and turret. But what somehow makes it magic for me is the curved network of wire that overlays the whole scene. (And if I'd been standing there instead of Sandra, I'd bet that I would have tried to shoot through the gaps to avoid the wire instead of making it a feature of the image.)

Second: JillyG "The Lovebirds" Another image with some magic in it: The dark and isolated surroundings contrasting with the relaxed pose and lightness of the figures, and then accented with those strange masks fixed to the tree in the background. It's a very asymmetric composition, with all the action on the left half, but it works for me.

Third: TomHH "THE chair" A classic B/W, nearly abstract, of a classic shape, and taken from an interesting point of view, contrasting the bright metal of the chair with the dark steel of the floor. (I only hope not to be sitting in the chair when lightning strikes.)

Honorable Mentions to:
  • Jef's "Quiet Downtown"
  • dscheff's "Industry"
Thank you very much Ted for your insightful judging. Super congrats to sdimbour Sandra - that was a wonderful image for all the reasons Ted gave. I am so thrilled to be on the podium with Sandra and TomHH Tom - sandwiched between two excellent images. Thank you for that Ted. Well done to Tom for that simple but striking image, and hearty handshakes to all the HMs. After last week’s bonanza black and white-wise, I thought there might be a bit of a lull this week, but not a bit of it! Thank you to everyone who posted and commented.:inlove: Right, I’m now going to add The View from Notre Dame Cathedral to the Gallery (did I mention my vertigo :confused:). See it here.

Youhouuuuu !!!! So happy !!!!

Thanks Ted terse for making me the winner of this week challenge :) Very proud !!!!

Congrats JillyG and TomHH for your 2nd and 3rd places!!!

I’ll be watching great iMages next week :)

Honorable Mentions to:
  • Jef's "Quiet Downtown"
  • dscheff's "Industry"

Back
Top Bottom