B&W RESULT:#109 Black & White Challenge

Yes, she wrote a whole essay about that. I've always loved Patti Smith, 1975 the year I left school, punk was about to explode, everything was changing. I often dig out Horses, her first and best album, probably the first 'poetry' I heard and really connected with.

Me, too (always loved Patti Smith; Horses = first & best - and that iconic cover).
She’s a funny one, though - I think she grew into herself over time.

I had another look through and found a story. Nearly all the pictures have Percival Whitley in who was the mayor of Halifax during the war. Here he is peering through to the camera from behind Winston Chirchill.
View attachment 119039
Percival Whitley is credited with creating vocational education in this area. The college I work at holds an educational trust that students in need can access and has one of it's buildings named after him.
During the war (1941/42) the UK had a drive to fund warships and towns and cities raised money for this. It was called Warship Week. There's a wikipedia article if you've a mind but the total amount raised for the war effort across the country was £955,611,589, which was equivalent to £39,000,000,000 in 2016.
Here's Percival addressing the town with the running total.
View attachment 119036
The town sponsored HMS Ajax
View attachment 119040
And Churchill came to help with the fund raising.
View attachment 119038

That image of Churchill is a bit of a treasure !

View attachment 118963
a hard rain's a-gonna fall - swampseed
Real atmosphere in this! I can feel the blinding wind and rain outside!

It was a dark and stormy night and we were all in the cabin below when the Captain said ‘Bill, tell us a tale’ and the tale began like this ‘It was a dark and .....’

Sky Stripes

31AFF5DB-8852-4211-85EC-1B7AC3CB8F2E.png

Huawei P20 Pro, Snapseed

Erm......hang on :eek::rolleyes::D
I wondered who would pick that one up first, hee, hee. I’ve taken over my sister’s phone. She has gone back to an iPhone and needed a helping hand. My own iphone is still my main phone but I’m excited about trying them both out side-by-side.

I’m still getting the hang of the camera app. I haven’t had much time to test it out yet but my sister left today so hope to try it out in the next couple of days. I’m not sure about some of the ‘automatic’ modes yet - it chooses a camera mode depending on what you are photographing (can turn it off of course). ‘Greenery’ comes out too saturated for me and the images have quite a strong sharpness that I am not used to on the iPhone. The x3 zoom had a small depth of field for close up but still to test in anger.

Have to say that Android is better than what I remember 5 years ago. Don’t like all the bloatware but LOVE the keyboard. Wish the iPhone had a digital keyboard like that. I’m much more accurate with it. It’s much lighter but also feels more delicate. Love the fact I can just plug into into my PC and backup my photos in a jiffy. Main purpose of use will be camera of course.

40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7", OIS, PDAF/Laser AF
20 MP B/W, f/1.6, 27mm (wide), 1/2.7", OIS, PDAF/Laser AF
8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4", 3x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF
Features Leica optics, LED flash, HDR, panorama
Video 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS), 720p@960fps
SELFIE CAMERA Single 24 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide)
Features Leica optics

Woo Hoo 40 mega pixels baby :lol:

I wondered who would pick that one up first, hee, hee. I’ve taken over my sister’s phone. She has gone back to an iPhone and needed a helping hand. My own iphone is still my main phone but I’m excited about trying them both out side-by-side.

I’m still getting the hang of the camera app. I haven’t had much time to test it out yet but my sister left today so hope to try it out in the next couple of days. I’m not sure about some of the ‘automatic’ modes yet - it chooses a camera mode depending on what you are photographing (can turn it off of course). ‘Greenery’ comes out too saturated for me and the images have quite a strong sharpness that I am not used to on the iPhone. The x3 zoom had a small depth of field for close up but still to test in anger.

Have to say that Android is better than what I remember 5 years ago. Don’t like all the bloatware but LOVE the keyboard. Wish the iPhone had a digital keyboard like that. I’m much more accurate with it. It’s much lighter but also feels more delicate. Love the fact I can just plug into into my PC and backup my photos in a jiffy. Main purpose of use will be camera of course.
Yay, go Ann! I was hoping someone would have a go with the Huawei. I’ll be interested to find out what you think after your trial.

Features Leica optics

Now that’s impressive!

Features Leica optics

I'm curious about that 3x telephoto at only 8mp. They must be using it for more than just straight telephoto because, unless my math is wonky, you would get roughly the same 3x by cropping the center 8mp out of the 40mp. Hmm, or maybe not. Apparently the P20 Pro produces a 10mp photo from its 40mp sensor (in order to produce a higher quality image). I'm confused. :confused:

I'm curious about that 3x telephoto at only 8mp. They must be using it for more than just straight telephoto because, unless my math is wonky, you would get roughly the same 3x by cropping the center 8mp out of the 40mp. Hmm, or maybe not. Apparently the P20 Pro produces a 10mp photo from its 40mp sensor (in order to produce a higher quality image). I'm confused. :confused:
We need FundyBrian !

Features Leica optics

Well, it’s set on a lot less as standard. I feel a little overwhelmed by all the features at the moment! Don’t quite know where to start....a couple of YouTubes maybe. Not liking some of the auto stuff and got to get the focus better but only 10 pics in the gallery so far. :) I’m really looking forward to testing the lowlight which is where it’s really supposed to shine.

Yes, that’s what I read in one article with regard to the telephoto - that it doesn’t really add value. To be honest I think the main 40mp camera is what you want to use most of the time. The Pro mode (manual essentially) may be the way to go too. There is also quite a lot of criticism of over processing by the software which I am sure we will see more and more in phone cameras and seems evident in the iPhone Xs. I am definitely finding the images too sharp on the P20 Pro. I really hope that I won’t need to shoot everything in RAW to achieve the look I want.

Yes, that’s what I read in one article with regard to the telephoto - that it doesn’t really add value. To be honest I think the main 40mp camera is what you want to use most of the time. The Pro mode (manual essentially) may be the way to go too. There is also quite a lot of criticism of over processing by the software which I am sure we will see more and more in phone cameras and seems evident in the iPhone Xs. I am definitely finding the images too sharp on the P20 Pro. I really hope that I won’t need to shoot everything in RAW to achieve the look I want.
More examples then please! :D

Back
Top Bottom