B&W RESULT:#109 Black & White Challenge

Dragon Pillar, Sony Xperia
0167.jpg

Yes, that’s what I read in one article with regard to the telephoto - that it doesn’t really add value. To be honest I think the main 40mp camera is what you want to use most of the time. The Pro mode (manual essentially) may be the way to go too. There is also quite a lot of criticism of over processing by the software which I am sure we will see more and more in phone cameras and seems evident in the iPhone Xs. I am definitely finding the images too sharp on the P20 Pro. I really hope that I won’t need to shoot everything in RAW to achieve the look I want.
Ultimately, the best way to go is DNG. It starts out by capturing a wider dynamic range that allows a better chance of preserving highlight details. This is the only way to bypass the system’s blanket image processing. Of course this means you have to do such things as sharpening and noise reduction and most likely the saturation will need raising. So on top of your usual editing there are those things to do every time but you will probably develop a routine where those adjustments will be mostly the same. Also, if you keep your ISO at the lowest setting you can largely ignore noise reduction. I certainly feel that the benefits of DNG far outweigh the extra editing time.

Ultimately, the best way to go is DNG. It starts out by capturing a wider dynamic range that allows a better chance of preserving highlight details. This is the only way to bypass the system’s blanket image processing. Of course this means you have to do such things as sharpening and noise reduction and most likely the saturation will need raising. So on top of your usual editing there are those things to do every time but you will probably develop a routine where those adjustments will be mostly the same. Also, if you keep your ISO at the lowest setting you can largely ignore noise reduction. I certainly feel that the benefits of DNG far outweigh the extra editing time.
I’ve yet to master processing of RAW files. My attempts so far have been worse than the phone processing. I think this is the area of Affinity that I need to understand in detail. I particularly struggle with the light areas so there’s obviously a slider over and above highlights which I’m not using.

I’ve yet to master processing of RAW files. My attempts so far have been worse than the phone processing. I think this is the area of Affinity that I need to understand in detail. I particularly struggle with the light areas so there’s obviously a slider over and above highlights which I’m not using.
Snapseed does a pretty good job with single RAW images. Affinity for further complications such a HDR, focus Stacking, etc.

I wondered who would pick that one up first, hee, hee. I’ve taken over my sister’s phone. She has gone back to an iPhone and needed a helping hand. My own iphone is still my main phone but I’m excited about trying them both out side-by-side.

I’m still getting the hang of the camera app. I haven’t had much time to test it out yet but my sister left today so hope to try it out in the next couple of days. I’m not sure about some of the ‘automatic’ modes yet - it chooses a camera mode depending on what you are photographing (can turn it off of course). ‘Greenery’ comes out too saturated for me and the images have quite a strong sharpness that I am not used to on the iPhone. The x3 zoom had a small depth of field for close up but still to test in anger.

Have to say that Android is better than what I remember 5 years ago. Don’t like all the bloatware but LOVE the keyboard. Wish the iPhone had a digital keyboard like that. I’m much more accurate with it. It’s much lighter but also feels more delicate. Love the fact I can just plug into into my PC and backup my photos in a jiffy. Main purpose of use will be camera of course.
Oh wow...!!

I Googled the phone... it looks nice! 3 cameras too. :fearscream: I couldn’t find any images that show the keyboard... what makes it better?

Oh wow...!!

I Googled the phone... it looks nice! 3 cameras too. :fearscream: I couldn’t find any images that show the keyboard... what makes it better?
I mean it looks similar but for whatever reason I don’t hit the key next to it like I do so often on the iPhone. Also it has SWYPE which I used to love! I know you can download keyboards with SWYPE on iOS but I’ve always been a bit nervous about giving permissions to keyboards.

So if you don’t know what SWYPE is, it means you can drag your finger from one letter to another without lifting your finger and because you change direction it knows what letter you chose.

But more than anything I miss the file management system! All my RAW images go to a different folder. My screenshots go to a different folder. I can transfer images to my Android from my iPhone and I can put them in a different folder. I mean, come on, Apple, it’s so basic and you can access any of these folders in apps like Snapseed. So much easier to only backup the photos.

Keyboard
5F806565-B80A-435B-A17C-4921A69A0F04.jpeg

I mean it looks similar but for whatever reason I don’t hit the key next to it like I do so often on the iPhone
I support students getting thier phones on the college Wi-Fi nearly daily. I find android keyboards to be more responsive and less prone to miss-keying in general, even on the budget end of the market.

With Leslie’s awesome hovering lady, I declare this #109 Black and White Challenge CLOSED. What an amazing bunch of photos to choose from - dscheff Jeffrey has his work cut out this week. Whenever you feel up to the task Jeffrey.:D

Back
Top Bottom