B&W RESULT:#110 Black & White Challenge

7 people posted 28 pics this week. 3 people posted 78% of all the pictures. That means 4 people posted 22%. By far the biggest contributor was Coronation80 with 46% of the total.

I have to disqualify myself on the grounds of stupidity. I completely forgot I'm judging and can hardly award myself a win. I will, however award myself the top HM just for sheer dimmness. :cool:

There are 4 pictures that stand out for me from 3 people.

In third is Coronation80 for Going somewhere. As zenjenny noted, getting that one guy 3/4 turned smack bang in the middle is Fab. Makes the picture for me. Also for Tunnel Vision. A lovely palette of tones makes this both soft and hard at the same time.

In second is deepop with Denver Airport. Materful simplicity, minimal, such soft negative space punctuated with hard lines, curves and angles. Tugs at my heart strings.
Congratulations also on your thrusting pole. :whistle:

My/our winner this week has to be sdimbour with The Eiffel Tower seller place du Trocadéro - Paris - France
689FC44D-C7E7-416F-B133-74408A5C2E3E.jpeg

The quality of your work sdimbour is always very high. I wish I could do what you can.
The composition and framing is excellent as always. The elements of the picture fit nicely and with the low point of view the Eiffel tower and it's reflection take up almost the same vertical space in the picture as the seller. The seller, tower and the three figures on the right and the reflections make a leading line that pulls the eye across the horizon and action.
The contrast between the bright, soft background sky and floor and the darker fore and mid ground figures really brings the picture to life. Add the writing on the floor at the front, the reflections on the wet ground, the timing and the fact this picture is telling a story. Very well done.

Hms to JillyG for that tunnel, Coronation80's nobbly trees and sinnerjohn' endings.

Last edited:
7 people posted 28 pics this week. 3 people posted 78% of all the pictures. That means 4 people posted 22%. By far the biggest contributor was Coronation80 with 46% of the total.

I have to disqualify myself on the grounds of stupidity. I completely forgot I'm judging and can hardly award myself a win. I will, however award myself the top HM just for sheer dimmness. :cool:

In third is Coronation80 for Going somewhere. As zenjenny noted, getting that one guy 3/4 turned smack bang in the middle is Fab. Makes the picture for me. Also for Tunnel Vision. A lovely palette of tones makes this both soft and hard at the same time.

In second is deepop with Denver Airport. Materful simplicity, minimal, such soft negative space punctuated with hard lines, curves and angles. Tugs at my heart strings.

My/our winner this week has to be sdimbour with The Eiffel Tower seller place du Trocadéro - Paris - France
View attachment 119471
The quality of your work sdimbour is always very high. I wish I could do what you can.
The composition and framing is excellent as always. The elements of the picture fit nicely and with the low point of view the Eiffel tower and it's reflection take up almost the same vertical space in the picture as the seller. The contrast between the bright, soft background sky and floor and the darker fore and mid ground figures really brings the picture to life. Add the writing on the floor at the front, the reflections on the wet ground, the timing and the fact this picture is telling a story. Very well done.

Hms to JillyG for that tunnel, Coronation80's nobbly trees and sinnerjohn' endings.

Marvellous judging Rizole - including stats, so thank you. :D Congratulations to sdimbour Sandra - that image is just awesome for all the reasons stated above and then some. A winner in any competition in which it was entered (and it should be entered into an external competition soon!). Without Sandra’s image in the challenge, I should imagine that any of the runners up could have taken top spot. Both Coronation80 Stephen and deepop David posted fabulous images this week (as always, actually :rolleyes:). Thank you for my HM, alongside Stephen and sinnerjohn John - I’m more than happy to be in their gang. So now I’m off to erect the Eiffel Tower in the Gallery. :D

Ditto that!

The composition and framing is excellent as always. The elements of the picture fit nicely and with the low point of view the Eiffel tower and it's reflection take up almost the same vertical space in the picture as the seller. The seller, tower and the three figures on the right and the reflections make a leading line that pulls the eye across the horizon and action.
The contrast between the bright, soft background sky and floor and the darker fore and mid ground figures really brings the picture to life. Add the writing on the floor at the front, the reflections on the wet ground, the timing and the fact this picture is telling a story. Very well done.
One other detail really that really makes this photo great to me is the miniature Eiffel Tower that the vendor holds which mirrors the larger tower and also points to it, and provides a pleasing dissonance to all the vertical lines in the photo. Great stuff.

View attachment 119471

Congratulations to sdimbour for another stellar photo. Congrats to Coronation80 , JillyG and sinnerjohn . Thanks for the 2nd place.

Ditto that!

One other detail really that really makes this photo great to me is the miniature Eiffel Tower that the vendor holds which mirrors the larger tower and also points to it, and provides a pleasing dissonance to all the vertical lines in the photo. Great stuff.
Yes, that, to me, is the cherry on top of a fabulous cake.

View attachment 119471

Nice judging as ever rizole :thumbs: Interesting stats, I just wonder what Coronation80's going to do when he runs out of archive shots ;)
Winner I couldn't agree more, sdimbour's work is consistently high, even her daily 365 shots are potential competition winners, so well done her.
Congrats Coronation80 and deepop great work sirs.
Yay to the HM'ers :)

Nice judging as ever rizole :thumbs: Interesting stats, I just wonder what Coronation80's going to do when he runs out of archive shots ;)
Winner I couldn't agree more, sdimbour's work is consistently high, even her daily 365 shots are potential competition winners, so well done her.
Congrats Coronation80 and deepop great work sirs.
Yay to the HM'ers :)
Think as I said afore. Tell me if I post too often!

Feel slightly out of sorts with the stats thing and comments. Was just trying to enjoy the momment with the group. I dont actually just rely on Archival stuff. I am prolific in my picture taking much to my wifes annoyance. Dont know what else to say!
No need to say anything! We're enjoying your photos. You're enjoying your photos. There are no rules about quantity. So keep posting and don't worry about stats. Posting has been a bit slow of late (holidays, weather, that sort of thing), but there are plenty of prolific shooters here. And if you inspire people to shoot more, so much the better.

Feel slightly out of sorts with the stats thing and comments. Was just trying to enjoy the momment with the group. I dont actually just rely on Archival stuff. I am prolific in my picture taking much to my wifes annoyance. Dont know what else to say!
Oh please don't feel the stats were any kind of criticism or pointed in any way.
As I mentioned in the how big is yours thread, I've spent a lot of time with stats and excel sheets the last few weeks at work and as I've been so deep in it I've started seeing stats everywhere. Just my current mindset.

These stats are really interesting (even more so because someone else worked them all out for me :rolleyes: :D)
I will, however award myself the top HM just for sheer dimmness. :cool:
:lmao:

Congrats sdimbour Sandra! Well done, as always! Your images always inspire. :notworthy: High fives to deepop David and Coronation80 Stephen - love both of your images.

A hearty Whoohoo! to the HMs Jilly and John! :thumbs:

Oh, no, please don’t feel badly. The stats are just a fun extra bit of info. We love seeing your images!

No, don’t take it personally. Sometimes the “boys” like to do a bit more than judge.:lol: We love to see your images - they’re so inspiring. And without your images this week, the challenge would probably not be more than one page and I’d be seriously wondering whether it’s worth continuing with it, so you’re doing us all a favour.:thumbs:

Thanks rizole for making me a winner this week. I’m quite proud of Thant pic. The Trocadéro is always a great place for photography.

Congrats Coronation80 and deepop for your 2nd and 3rd place. Great iMage!!!

Thanks to everyone for all your comments.

I’m happy to be the judge for next week challenge.

View attachment 119471

Back
Top Bottom