B&W RESULT:#125 Black & White Challenge

B3FAAD11-7984-4882-909E-EEB65455D150.jpeg

Under the pier at Seascape State Beach
Halide, Lightroom, Photos

Judgement Day
When I was notified that I had won the previous week’s B & W competition I was quite pleased - I’m not particularly competitive about my photography but it was great to get some recognition for my quirky photo of Mr Punch. It was through playing around like that, that I realised the potential for mobile photography.

However the pleasure drained away pretty quickly when I realised I was to be the Judge for B & W Challenge 125. 21 images by 11 different people (I think), and something can be said for all.
I learnt a lot from Rizole’s World Dock Cooking Championship (after a little googling) and liked the way Jef handled some big landscapes (which would have defeated many photographers) by including some striking foreground interest. Jilly’s Wings are fabulous but dare I say, perhaps a little over-processed, enough to lose the natural delicacy of the subject matter? - which is the only reason why they don’t make the final selection; just my opinion of course. Meanwhile Deepop reminds us all of the importance of looking up.
Sinnerjohn’s idea of slippers makes me a little nervous, whilst Terse’s Cowell Press has a message on the far wall that should perhaps be posted on a number of photography forums. I would also love to walk along that beach at Lit-en-Mixe with Sdimbour’s friend… I could go on and on, but I have to make a choice.

On another day I might have included Starzee’s Turkey Vultures in the top three - I love the composition, but today only an honourable mention because in third place we have Rizole’s Table Water. Super idea and the sort of thing I would never think of doing myself.
water.jpeg

In second, Coronation80’s Night to Remember; it makes you look twice and has that touch that attracted the surrealists to Atget’s work in Paris in around 1900 (yes I love my photography history
atget.JPG

Now, finally the winner is…. JanGray’s marvellous Feather. I’m not sure how the ‘in-out-in’ focus effect was achieved but it all makes for a compelling image. I think you could sell prints of this one.
feathers.jpeg

Apologies to those not mentioned, I think the standard here is brilliant all round, and could have gone on and on. I hope I haven’t come across as too pompous, (I’ve never had to judge anything in a hobby situation before now) and I hope at least one or two of you agree with my awards.

Judgement Day
When I was notified that I had won the previous week’s B & W competition I was quite pleased - I’m not particularly competitive about my photography but it was great to get some recognition for my quirky photo of Mr Punch. It was through playing around like that, that I realised the potential for mobile photography.

However the pleasure drained away pretty quickly when I realised I was to be the Judge for B & W Challenge 125. 21 images by 11 different people (I think), and something can be said for all.
I learnt a lot from Rizole’s World Dock Cooking Championship (after a little googling) and liked the way Jef handled some big landscapes (which would have defeated many photographers) by including some striking foreground interest. Jilly’s Wings are fabulous but dare I say, perhaps a little over-processed, enough to lose the natural delicacy of the subject matter? - which is the only reason why they don’t make the final selection; just my opinion of course. Meanwhile Deepop reminds us all of the importance of looking up.
Sinnerjohn’s idea of slippers makes me a little nervous, whilst Terse’s Cowell Press has a message on the far wall that should perhaps be posted on a number of photography forums. I would also love to walk along that beach at Lit-en-Mixe with Sdimbour’s friend… I could go on and on, but I have to make a choice.

On another day I might have included Starzee’s Turkey Vultures in the top three - I love the composition, but today only an honourable mention because in third place we have Rizole’s Table Water. Super idea and the sort of thing I would never think of doing myself.
View attachment 145025
In second, Coronation80’s Night to Remember; it makes you look twice and has that touch that attracted the surrealists to Atget’s work in Paris in around 1900 (yes I love my photography history
View attachment 145026
Now, finally the winner is…. JanGray’s marvellous Feather. I’m not sure how the ‘in-out-in’ focus effect was achieved but it all makes for a compelling image. I think you could sell prints of this one.View attachment 145027
Apologies to those not mentioned, I think the standard here is brilliant all round, and could have gone on and on. I hope I haven’t come across as too pompous, (I’ve never had to judge anything in a hobby situation before now) and I hope at least one or two of you agree with my awards.
Congrats Jan jangray I totally agree with Nick, it was the winner as soon as it was posted :thumbs:
Cheers to Coronation80 and rizole (who I thought had a double winner this week till I realised you were doing 3rd to 1st :lol:)

Judgement Day

View attachment 145025
View attachment 145026
Now, finally the winner is…. JanGray’s marvellous Feather. I’m not sure how the ‘in-out-in’ focus effect was achieved but it all makes for a compelling image. I think you could sell prints of this one.View attachment 145027
Well done Nick, lovely job. It’s always great to get the judge’s perspective on things. Congratulations to jangray Jan - the simplicity, delicacy and starkness of the feather is wonderful. Well done to the runners up - Coronation80 Stephen and rizole Rizole - two super images. What a great week it was. Now I’m going to float down to the Gallery with Jan’s beautiful feather. See it, and all of the other amazing winners, here:https://mobitog.com/media/feather.20817/

Judgement Day

View attachment 145025
View attachment 145026
What a wonderfully thoughtful wrap-up/judging, Nick!! Especially for your first time. You’ll see that everyone has their own style of doing the judging so there’s no right or wrong way. :thumbs:

Couldn’t agree more with the choices... Super congrats jangray Jan!! Well done!!! High fives to Coronation80 Stephen and rizole! Fab images.

Judgement Day

View attachment 145025
View attachment 145026
Thank you for my mention! I’m honored to be among such amazing work.

Many thanks to all the kind comments about my photo - it was part of a pigeon feather found in the garden - I put it on a plain black material background and worked on several views of the image before deciding on this one - I used the Moments Macro lens then processed in Lightroom as well as Snapseed to get this effect.

Looking at the other competition entries, I feel very humbled - I think quite a few are better than my one. Thank you for choosing me.

Nice work, Nick - good to read your perspectives on this week’s BWs. And don’t worry too much about people’s noses - we tend to assume everyone’s feedback is coming from the same courteous, well-intentioned, shared-interest place, thankfully expressed differently or we’d all have died of boredom by now.

Congrats Jan - a real knock-your-socks-off winner :thumbs:

And yay to everyone else :)

Back
Top Bottom