B&W RESULT:#138 Black & White Challenge

What’s going on here then? I thought it might be the floods, but I can see water spray.
Walkerly's clogg factory was aflame and had 15 fire engines to put it out. Its been empty 20 odd years but is a listed building so the owner couldn't do anything with it. There's been planning permission sought for the site recently that was rejected. Social media reckons the owner has torched it so they can can then knock it down. Quite a common occurrence in Bradford so I'm told.

There's also talk that teens have been seen breaking in recently.

A fireman told me that old mills go up quick once they catch because the timbers absorbed so much lanolin from processing wool over decades past.
I hear the walls have started bowing and collapsing now. They were kept in place by the roof timbers which are no more. The building is 4 foot from the main road through the valley such is now closed for at least tomorrow, probably longer. The back roads that go across the tips of the moors are single track in many places. I hear it's gridlock up there.

Hunting season....
6EA3F86C-0441-4AC5-8EDA-C985D5F990D3.jpeg

Walkerly's clogg factory was aflame and had 15 fire engines to put it out. Its been empty 20 odd years but is a listed building so the owner couldn't do anything with it. There's been planning permission sought for the site recently that was rejected. Social media reckons the owner has torched it so they can can then knock it down. Quite a common occurrence in Bradford so I'm told.

There's also talk that teens have been seen breaking in recently.

A fireman told me that old mills go up quick once they catch because the timbers absorbed so much lanolin from processing wool over decades past.
I hear the walls have started bowing and collapsing now. They were kept in place by the roof timbers which are no more. The building is 4 foot from the main road through the valley such is now closed for at least tomorrow, probably longer. The back roads that go across the tips of the moors are single track in many places. I hear it's gridlock up there.
Heavens! What a drama! It could be that the teens have been paid by the owner to set light to it so that it can be knocked down. That’s the trouble with listed buildings - the owners can let them rot, but trying to restore them is a nightmare, what with all the restrictions and all. Looks like the building will be coming down after all.

Is it me, or do the weeks seem to be going quickly? Anyway, this black and white week has gone, this challenge is CLOSED and it’s now time for sdimbour Sandra to choose her favourites. Over to you Sandra, whenever you have a moment.

Last edited:
Is it me, or do the weeks seem to be going quickly. Anyway, this black and white week has gone, this challenge is CLOSED and it’s now time for sdimbour Sandra to choose her favourites. Over to you Sandra, whenever you have a moment.
It might take some time as I’m spending time at the beach with friends this afternoon. I’ll post the result tonight :sunglasses:

Sorry for the late post but I came back far later than expected !!!
First of all, congrats to everyone this week. There were a lot of great iMage. Many of these could have win the challenge but I Had to make choices... and I found it quite hard !!!

Here’s my selection for this week challenge :

First sinnerjohn - love everything in that one - the composition, the reflection, the details...and so many stories behind that pic!!!
3BC8606E-7D15-4AEB-AF7A-3F26B120E594.jpeg

2nd RoseCat Catherine - waow!!! what a reflection !!!
B7746E80-E4C3-41A8-A323-84146E6CB467.jpeg

3rd rizole Rizole - love these two playing under that tree !!! And the atmosphere !!!!
53F196A4-7FEF-475C-B177-86EFDC572C3B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, congrats to everyone this week. There were a lot of great iMage. Many of these could have win the challenge but I Had to make choices... and I found it quite hard !!!

First sinnerjohn - love everything in that one - the composition, the reflection, the details...and so many stories behind that pic!!!
View attachment 148031

View attachment 148032

3rd rizole Rizole - love these two playing under that tree !!! And the atmosphere !!!!
View attachment 148030
A lovely piece of judging Sandra, thank you. Congratulations sinnerjohn John! Great reflections on this one, and I’ve never noticed those words on a new telephone box before (as opposed to the old red things). Have a Pinot Grigio or a Chianti on us. :D Well done to RoseCat Catherine and rizole Rizole for second and third respectively. The lake reflection is a beauty and Rizole’s children at play is a winner in colour and black and white.

Super job everyone this week, especially as we’re in the middle of the holiday season. Thank you all for your enthusiasm and continued support for this challenge.:notworthy:

View attachment 148031

View attachment 148032

View attachment 148030
I'm honoured and surprised as ever, thank you Sandra. Yay to RoseCat beautiful reflections and rizole 2 placings for the same image :notworthy:
JillyG maybe an ice cold Peroni today !

View attachment 148031

View attachment 148032

View attachment 148030
Well done, John and to Jilly and Rizole too!

View attachment 148031

View attachment 148032

View attachment 148030
Congrats sinnerjohn John! Well done!
Thank you so much Sandra for the second... :notworthy: and a fist bump to rizole love that image.

Back
Top Bottom