B&W RESULT:#143 Black & White Challenge

Oh my gosh, this is so sad. :(
She was part of an organised group of 'beggars' in Sorrento. Her 'father' (maybe) set her up with a few trinkets to try and sell to tourists, while he and several women sat in various spots around the city begging for change. I did see him on a mobile phone at one point.
I just wonder what life that poor child will have and yet there was me taking photos, am I as guilty?

I’m not the only one to be inspired by a holiday!!
Stating the obvious, it seems the only time I get any decent shots. I've been photographing my local environment for years and just feel like I've done it to death, which is why my 365 bit the dust this year. Unless you live in a big city (I don't) or an area of outstanding beauty (Idon't) there really is a limit to what you can shoot for the zillionth time. Which is funny as I seem to be shooting less and less but probably have the best mobile camera I've ever had!

Stating the obvious, it seems the only time I get any decent shots. I've been photographing my local environment for years and just feel like I've done it to death, which is why my 365 bit the dust this year. Unless you live in a big city (I don't) or an area of outstanding beauty (Idon't) there really is a limit to what you can shoot for the zillionth time. Which is funny as I seem to be shooting less and less but probably have the best mobile camera I've ever had!
You’ve been reading my mind.

Yes. This happens a lot to me too. Being on a fairly strict schedule means that the routes I take on my commute to work, all five minutes of it, have pretty much the same light, the same angle, and almost the same people in front of whatever it is I’m trying to create. I have tried varying my route but I think the people are doing that too. I’m thinking of moving to another, more picturesque, town.

You’ve been reading my mind.
Yes. This happens a lot to me too. Being on a fairly strict schedule means that the routes I take on my commute to work, all five minutes of it, have pretty much the same light, the same angle, and almost the same people in front of whatever it is I’m trying to create. I have tried varying my route but I think the people are doing that too. I’m thinking of moving to another, more picturesque, town.
Yep. Seconded... thirded.... forthed.

It happens here, too, even though I've got more scenery than most. I find it easy to fall into a funk when everything starts looking the same. One thing I've done to break the spell is to go back through my old photos, find some I like, and go back to the same place to shoot it again (not trying to duplicate the original shot, but trying to do it better). And although I'm not a fan of themes, every now and then I can use one to break out. ("Every now and then" meaning "once or twice" a year in this context.) And a third thing I do sometimes is to pick a specific style to try out for a brief while (long exposure, ICM, b/w only, moody edits, whatever). What it feels like to me is that these tricks help me get some momentum back, and once I have that, things start looking... not new, but interesting again.

I’m thinking of moving to another, more picturesque, town.
One thing I've done to break the spell is to go back through my old photos, find some I like, and go back to the same place to shoot it again (not trying to duplicate the original shot, but trying to do it better). And although I'm not a fan of themes, every now and then I can use one to break out. ("Every now and then" meaning "once or twice" a year in this context.) And a third thing I do sometimes is to pick a specific style to try out for a brief while (long exposure, ICM, b/w only, moody edits, whatever). What it feels like to me is that these tricks help me get some momentum back, and on
All good suggestions.

She was part of an organised group of 'beggars' in Sorrento. Her 'father' (maybe) set her up with a few trinkets to try and sell to tourists, while he and several women sat in various spots around the city begging for change. I did see him on a mobile phone at one point.
I just wonder what life that poor child will have and yet there was me taking photos, am I as guilty?
Now you should feel guilty.) use your super duper camera. Maybe time to move...!!??

It happens here, too, even though I've got more scenery than most. I find it easy to fall into a funk when everything starts looking the same. One thing I've done to break the spell is to go back through my old photos, find some I like, and go back to the same place to shoot it again (not trying to duplicate the original shot, but trying to do it better). And although I'm not a fan of themes, every now and then I can use one to break out. ("Every now and then" meaning "once or twice" a year in this context.) And a third thing I do sometimes is to pick a specific style to try out for a brief while (long exposure, ICM, b/w only, moody edits, whatever). What it feels like to me is that these tricks help me get some momentum back, and once I have that, things start looking... not new, but interesting again.
That's a great idea, and certainly cheaper than moving to another city ;)

I hear ya Ted.

So, after a very busy week (and it still is) I found some time to have a closer look at all those marvelous shots. Here is my choice of the best three:

the first place - terse Ted's 'Take time to think'.
F4EAC9D7-A332-47CD-9EF7-166C779C756C.jpeg

This shot is expressing the tranquility so intense, you can barely feel it. The fading details towards the horizon where the women looks at in contradiction to the foreground. You can#t see her face and you're wondering what is she looking at? What's out there?
I also like the composing with letting the sea enough room so you can see and feel the dimension - it's humongous!
Very well done, Ted!

the second winner - sinnerjohn John's 'Cheers!', the scooter boys!
A0F5F50F-F0EE-4E56-AC3A-A2784DDBD9EE.jpeg

Must have been a great day! Look at the smile in the drivers face. The lines in the images from upper right to lower left and the angle of the scooter stresses movement in this picture. The harsh contrast in this images between the subject (the scooter) and the background emphasizes the topic very well - it's those two guys.

and finally the third winner - rizole Rizole with 'Light at the end'!
2082BF63-F2EA-449D-B664-C02B670C94D1.jpeg

The perspective, the street by itself, the distortion, the focus where the beholder is send to and bright sky - what an impressive scene!
In general I have my difficulties with lens distortion but in this image it's perfectly assisting the mood of the shot.

Congrats to the finalists - very well done!

I hope you for give me for this heavy delay - I promise I'll do it better next time - if! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So, after a very busy week (and it still is) I found some time to have a closer look at all those marvelous shots. Here is my choice of the best three:

View attachment 149688
This shot is expressing the tranquility so intense, you can barely feel it. The fading details towards the horizon where the women looks at in contradiction to the foreground. You can#t see her face and you're wondering what is she looking at? What's out there?
I also like the composing with letting the sea enough room so you can see and feel the dimension - it's humongous!
Very well done, Ted!

View attachment 149689
Must have been a great day! Look at the smile in the drivers face. The lines in the images from upper right to lower left and the angle of the scooter stresses movement in this picture. The harsh contrast in this images between the subject (the scooter) and the background emphasizes the topic very well - it's those two guys.

View attachment 149690
The perspective, the street by itself, the distortion, the focus where the beholder is send to and bright sky - what an impressive scene!
In general I have my difficulties with lens distortion but in this image it's perfectly assisting the mood of the shot.

I hope you for give me for this heavy delay - I promise I'll do it better next time - if! :D

Thank you soooo much Tom for taking time to give us your thoughts on each of your choices when you are so busy. AND there were so many fantastic images to choose from. Congratulations to Ted (who will be judging in just a few days time :lol: ) - that is such an evocative image. Well done to sinnerjohn John for second and rizole Rizole for third. Two very different streets, but two great images. What a marvellous two weeks it was (and I’m not just talking about my holiday :lmao:).Wonderful images, every one. Thank you to all the posters and commenters. Me and Ted’s contemplative lady are going to take a gentle, mindful stroll down to the Gallery. Come and check us out there.

View attachment 149688
Very well done, Ted!

View attachment 149689

View attachment 149690

Big congrats Ted well done. Cheers Tom for my 2nd, most appreciated among so many great images and yay to Rizole all all that took part in marathon 143 :thumbs:

Thanks, Tom! I didn't expect that. I see this lady now and then while I'm walking along the cliffs, always on the same rock. Quite a few people like to sit on the rocks, most of them looking at their phones, but she always has her clipboard with a spiral bound notebook, and she's either writing or staring out over the bay.

Back
Top Bottom