B&W RESULT: #147 Black & White Challenge

Someone mentioned Halloween so thought I'd join in.
IMG_20191010_224215~2.jpg

Sandra’s wet feet bring this particular Black and White Challenge to a close, and they are particularly apt as it’s another dark and wet morning here in England! I hope it’s lovely and sunny where you are terse Ted. When you’ve finished basking in it, do you think you’ll be up to some judging?

Then the problem becomes "How much tint is too much?" Tints used to be OK when the Black & White challenge was known as MobiMono, but then there was a large, um..., discussion about it, especially after some people (that would include me:zip:) were occasionally posting images that were monochrome but in shades of colors other than gray (like cyanotypes, which are all shades of blue). It seems like the only way to resolve it with some semblance of objectivity was to limit images to shades of gray only.

Then the next problem surfaces, which is that many many b/w filters are actually tinted, some slightly, some heavily. The only way to be sure, if there's any doubt, is to open the image in an app that has saturation adjustment and completely desaturate the final image.

I'd be happy to go back to allowing tints, but the decisions are just as messy or even messier.
Ah … uhmm … err … I think I remember some of this. Okay. It was just an idea. Forget about it. :) :whistle:

Maybe we open a" tint & splash" thread for everything that is too much coloured for b/w and too less for gor full colour. :)
Hey Gouvs, there’s nothing to stop you opening your own challenge for tinted images. :D I’m telling you now though, it’s a responsibility. Several challenges have been opened recently and then just abandoned by the person who was supposed to be running it. Doors and Windows challenge - I’m looking at you!:rolleyes: Edit: Maybe I’ve wrongly named and shamed the Doors and Windows Challenge - Dr Ranas perhaps called it a challenge, when he meant just a thread. :D

Last edited:
Sandra’s wet feet bring this particular Black and White Challenge to a close, and they are particularly apt as it’s another dark and wet morning here in England! I hope it’s lovely and sunny where you are terse Ted. When you’ve finished basking in it, do you think you’ll be up to some judging?
Clear but too chilly for basking.

I'll be on to the judging in a bit. Coffee and crossword first. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Back
Top Bottom