B&W RESULT: #164 Black & White Challenge

23308E4B-B234-4A75-9F7F-B2A8FED8285F.jpeg

street artists :) Park Street - London - England

IPhone XS and Snapseed

Really... I took the glow out of it (as per my description)..View attachment 155282. ok I’ve gone back in and looked at the edits... it was definitely B&W, but the last thing on the edits was ‘Vintage’... so I’ve removed that... hope this satisfies
Brilliant. I wouldn’t want to lose it from the challenge.

It’s that time of the week again - I can’t believe that we’ve gone past the middle of the month already.:eek: Anyway, what I mean is, the Black and White Challenge is CLOSED and, if rizole Captain Jack Rizole has survived the floods, it’s his turn to judge. Whenever you feel up to it Rizole.:thumbs:

Dennis doesn't have the teeth that Ciara had and is passing us by without significant impact so I'm enjoying my first coffee of the day with an untroubled mind. Just what you'd want for a Sunday morning really.

We have a guest co-judge this week. I've just gone through my short list of pics with 'Er indoors and I've taken on board what she's had to say about all the pictures. Interesting to get her unfiltered opinions.

First the HMS:

mcmillan with glassware on a shelf. It's the detail that makes this for me. The lights reflected in the glass make this narrow, in close pic expand into a seemingly enormous space behind.

deepop with Blind love. Classic stuff.

Nagaisgich with Shoreline Tree, Georgian Bay. Otherworldly, although my other half had mixed feelings, she likes it but it makes her feel claustrophobic.

zenjenny with Dog. Direct quote from 'Er indoors: "Just lovely"

My co-judge and I agreed on the top 3 but she ducked out at that point. She says it's a bit like Strictly (that's Strictly Come Dancing for our overseas friends) in that as long as the best are in the final, she doesn't really care who wins either way.

All of sinnerjohn's subs were interestingly skewed to the right and that, and the content, made them for me. The two trains are a bit of a pedestrian, everyday shot but the skew gives the whole picture a little something extra that adds a lot. The pic both me and 'Er liked best was TSB so sinnerjohn gets 3rd place with that.

terse's And under the tracks comes in second. 'Er indoors says she like a picture with someone or something she can relate to and that brutalist rock/structure does that for her. Lovely balance of hard and soft in this pic and lovely balance in the composition too.

Our winner this week is sdimbour. Always quality stuff from you Sandra and the way you get people into shots is just faultless. I imagine you sometimes stand waiting for ages for just the right person to come along into shot.
But the winning pic doesn't have anyone in it. It is Apartment with view :)

CEF81F07-7CA1-463E-8992-EA733D7B86AE.jpeg

As with terse's pic there's the hard, defined, angular construction balanced by softness, this time of the sky and bulidings receeding to the horizon. The building at the front dominates with simple, strong geometric shapes. More complex and chaotic detail is on the right in the the mid and back ground. At the same time you can see into most the rooms of the building with softer details of furniture, plants, what have you and one of the windows reflects the buildings behind the shot, echoing and continuing the skyline on the right of the picture. Great stuff. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Last edited:
Dennis doesn't have the teeth that Ciara had and is passing us by without significant impact so I'm enjoying my first coffee of the day with an untroubled mind. Just what you'd want for a Sunday morning really.

We have a guest co-judge this week. I've just gone through my short list of pics with 'Er indoors and I've taken on board what she's had to say about all the pictures. Interesting to get her unfiltered opinions.

First the HMS:

mcmillan with glassware on a shelf. It's the detail that makes this for me. The lights reflected in the glass make this narrow, in close pic expand into a seemingly enormous space behind.

Nagaisgich with Shoreline Tree, Georgian Bay. Otherworldly, although my other half had mixed feelings, she likes it but it makes her feel claustrophobic.

My co-judge and I agreed on the top 3 but she ducked out at that point. She says it's a bit like Strictly (that's Strictly Come Dancing for our overseas friends) in that as long as the best are in the final, she doesn't really care who wins either way.

All of sinnerjohn's subs were interestingly skewed to the right and that, and the content, made them for me. The two trains are a bit of a pedestrian, everyday shot but the skew gives the whole picture a little something extra that adds a lot. The pic both me and 'Er liked best was TSB so sinnerjohn gets 3rd place with that.

terse's And under the tracks comes in second. 'Er indoors says she like a picture with someone or something she can relate to and that brutalist rock/structure does that for her. Lovely balance of hard and soft in this pic and lovely balance in the composition too.

Our winner this week is sdimbour. Always quality stuff from you Sandra and the way you get people into shots is just faultless. I imagine you sometimes stand waiting for ages for just the right person to come along into shot.

View attachment 155286

As with terse's pic there's the hard, defined, angular construction balanced by softness, this time of the sky and bulidings receeding to the horizon. The building at the front dominates with simple, strong geometric shapes. More complex and chaotic detail is on the right in the the mid and back ground. At the same time you can see into most the rooms of the building with softer details of furniture, plants, what have you and one of the windows reflects the buildings behind the shot, echoing and continuing the skyline on the right of the picture. Great stuff. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Great judging by you and Mrs Rizole, thank you both.:D Congratulations to sdimbour Sandra - this was a fab, and very topical as it turns out, image for all the reasons Rizole listed. Well done. High fives to terse Ted and @sinnerjohnJohn. Hugs to all of the HMs. What a great week it was. It seems incredible to me that every week we get another set of unique black and whites. I’m now off to hang the Apartment with View on our own Gallery wall. Very much like the Tate, but with better pictures imho.:mobibabe:

congrats to all (Sandra, that’s another of your seemingly boundless O.M.G. images :notworthy: )

and warmest thanks to Mrs Rizole who clearly has a keen eye for photos and dogs alike (also for husbands, cometothinkofit) :inlove:

First the HMS:

View attachment 155286

Always nice (and helpful) to get another point of view. We're always privileged to see Sandra's work. Congrats to all the winners and HM's (and thanks for my HM.)

First the HMS:

View attachment 155286

Superb winning shot, Sandra just keeps getting better every week.
Yay to Ted and high fives to the HM's. Thanks for my mention :notworthy:

First the HMS:

View attachment 155286

Just very happy about the win this week. Thanks rizole and Mrs Rizole for making me a winner today.
Congrats sinnerjohn and terse for your 2nd and 3rd place. Great pics !!!
Well done as well to the HM’s !!!
See you all next week-end!!!

i probably did that :thumbs: and probably poked around with other adjustments that didn’t help. ’ooh, ‘black point’ - maybe that will do something‘

If Jilly doesn’t mind, I’ll post it here briefly in case anyone (no one in particular of course, Ted :inlove:) feels like looking at it and letting me know where I went wrong.
lightbulb moment: I might have the original image

View attachment 155238
Awwwwwwww!!!!!! :hearteyes:

Back
Top Bottom