B&W RESULT: #164 Black & White Challenge

It is. I’ve found that before too. I think it was terse Ted who said it might be something to do with my iPad and the settings. But I’ve now got the ColorPicker app, also suggested by Ted, and that clearly shows colour in a black and white image, if there is any.
All filling me with lots of confidence when I post a b/w then :eek: :eek: :eek:

20200214_121053-01-01.jpeg

Arresting in its difference! Very dramatic but with simplicity too. Clever that you saw the potential!
Thanks.
I spotted they had been purposely arranged quite quickly and asked a colleague that draws comics if he had done it. He had and used the word Aztec so I ran with it.
We've been making Google Cardboards at work today.

Funnily enough when I looked at Jen's photos on my desktop at work they looked very much b/w. But when I looked on my mobile on the way home I could clearly see the tint, weird huh.
Rabbit hole warning!

It's even weirder than that -- different screens may show different tints. You can also have a perfectly neutral b/w image that appears to have a tint depending on which screen it's displayed on. You're unlikely to find any monitor that's perfectly neutral as it comes from the factory (at least, in the price range any of us can afford), and to make it worse, the color can shift slightly as the monitor ages. (My aging Samsung monitor is losing some brightness in its blue channel, but so far I can still keep it in line with color calibration.)

Color calibration is a big deal in the professional print and video worlds, and you can spend $1000+ just to get the calibration hardware. I use cheaper stuff to create color profiles for my monitor and my printer so that what I see on the screen looks close to what comes out of the printer.

I just tried the BW filter in SnapSeed with no effect on that bit. What else do other people do?
B/W filters often have a deliberate tint because they're emulating (or at least referencing) historical b/w photo processes, so you can't always rely on them unless you've tested them out beforehand. I just eyeball the final image, and if it looks OK, I upload it and wait to get caught. If it looks like it has a tint, I open it in Photos (the built-in app that used to be called Camera Roll) and pull down the saturation to zero there.

B/W filters often have a deliberate tint because they're emulating (or at least referencing) historical b/w photo processes, so you can't always rely on them unless you've tested them out beforehand. I just eyeball the final image, and if it looks OK, I upload it and wait to get caught. If it looks like it has a tint, I open it in Photos (the built-in app that used to be called Camera Roll) and pull down the saturation to zero there.

I did that in bothPhotos and SnapSeed. I’ll have another look and see if I missed something. I recall the L‘s T-shirt ever looked quite right (ie not quite BW). Thing is, I did Djanga’s close up :lmao: at the same time and I thought I followed the same steps.

I did that in bothPhotos and SnapSeed. I’ll have another look and see if I missed something. I recall the L‘s T-shirt ever looked quite right (ie not quite BW). Thing is, I did Djanga’s close up :lmao: at the same time and I thought I followed the same steps.
Maybe I misunderstood and grabbed the wrong end of the stick. I thought you were saying that you applied the b/w filter in Snapseed after doing the desaturation. That would put a tint back into the image (if the filter has a tint). If that's not how it went, then I'm wrong.

Maybe I misunderstood and grabbed the wrong end of the stick. I thought you were saying that you applied the b/w filter in Snapseed after doing the desaturation. That would put a tint back into the image (if the filter has a tint). If that's not how it went, then I'm wrong.

i probably did that :thumbs: and probably poked around with other adjustments that didn’t help. ’ooh, ‘black point’ - maybe that will do something‘

If Jilly doesn’t mind, I’ll post it here briefly in case anyone (no one in particular of course, Ted :inlove:) feels like looking at it and letting me know where I went wrong.
lightbulb moment: I might have the original image

23DEA5E6-D3ED-461C-B236-B6E61E9B426D.jpeg

Last edited:
Work? How do you make time to work in between taking photos?
Being a wage slave, the trick is to appear to be working even when theres nothing to do so there's no sneaking a tattered rollie out the back door or waste paper basketball for me. I have to spend my time and creativity in finding ever elaborate ways to simulate productivity, so much so that the result is almost indistinguishable from actual work. I often have to go into work a good hour earlier than everyone else to put the ground work in to look like I'm working so that I'm not exposed as a fraud. It's exhausting.

More to your point, I don't actually take photos, I've been submitting all these years to try and convincingly simulate photographic abilities so I'm not found out as the fraud I am. It's exhausting.

Just between you and me of course. Don't tell the others. :zip:

i probably did that :thumbs: and probably poked around with other adjustments that didn’t help. ’ooh, ‘black point’ - maybe that will do something‘

If Jilly doesn’t mind, I’ll post it here briefly in case anyone (no one in particular of course, Ted :inlove:) feels like looking at it and letting me know where I went wrong.
lightbulb moment: I might have the original image

View attachment 155238
I desaturated the two black and whites in the native camera app of my iPhone. Here’s the result.

2EE322A7-08B1-47E3-81A4-B7E4B1F18BB9.jpeg

F7ED7A22-B37A-4F36-BF1B-9D6217F3974D.jpeg

I can replace your images with these, but that doesn’t really help you with the desaturation problem.:confused:

Being a wage slave, the trick is to appear to be working even when theres nothing to do so there's no sneaking a tattered rollie out the back door or waste paper basketball for me. I have to spend my time and creativity in finding ever elaborate ways to simulate productivity, so much so that the result is almost indistinguishable from actual work. I often have to go into work a good hour earlier than everyone else to put the ground work in to look like I'm working so that I'm not exposed as a fraud. It's exhausting.

More to your point, I don't actually take photos, I've been submitting all these years to try and convincingly simulate photographic abilities so I'm not found out as the fraud I am. It's exhausting.

:zip:

mum’s the word. Just quietly, though, gotta hand it to you for the dedication, perseverance and sheer bloody effort you apply to your, um, goals. There’s nobility in that commitment to authenticity, walking the talk, following through . . .

plus you totally rock the Jack Sparrow look.

(And btw Jack Sparrow’s tattered rollies are in his hair. Just a thought).

I desaturated the two black and whites in the native camera app of my iPhone. Here’s the result.

View attachment 155246

I can replace your images with these, but that doesn’t really help you with the desaturation problem.:confused:

well I’m glad it wasn’t just me being daft.

and I only wanted to show Mobitog my beautiful Djanga-dog. I can show her off someplace else :)

Rabbit hole warning!

It's even weirder than that -- different screens may show different tints. You can also have a perfectly neutral b/w image that appears to have a tint depending on which screen it's displayed on. You're unlikely to find any monitor that's perfectly neutral as it comes from the factory (at least, in the price range any of us can afford), and to make it worse, the color can shift slightly as the monitor ages. (My aging Samsung monitor is losing some brightness in its blue channel, but so far I can still keep it in line with color calibration.)

Color calibration is a big deal in the professional print and video worlds, and you can spend $1000+ just to get the calibration hardware. I use cheaper stuff to create color profiles for my monitor and my printer so that what I see on the screen looks close to what comes out of the printer.
The chromebooks at work show all B&Ws with a blue cast. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom