B&W RESULT: #176 Black & White Challenge

More old English craftsmanship...
92842771-D6E6-4E5B-90BF-71035039CC04.jpeg

iPhone XS and some Snapseed.

Back home on our daily walk

View attachment 157998
Cow parsley, Queen Anne's lace, mother die, fairy lace, lady’s lace, hedge parsley, a plant of many names!

I didn't know this, 'Another vernacular name,' Mother die' or 'Mummy die', was used to frighten children into thinking that if they picked cow parsley, their mother would die. This was intended to deter children from potentially picking deadly hemlock.' Never stop learning eh.

Last edited:
Cow parsley, Queen Anne's lace, mother die, fairy lace, lady’s lace, hedge parsley, a plant of many names!

I didn't know this, 'Another vernacular name,' Mother die' or 'Mummy die', was used to frighten children into thinking that if they picked cow parsley, their mother would die. This was intended to deter children from potentially picking deadly hemlock.' Never stop learning eh.
Yes, we were warned never to put the hollow stems of the giant hogweed to our lips in case we were poisoned. It was tempting to make a pea shooter out of them. Hemlock stinks apparently (just been reading a Caroline Graham novel :D ).

Yes, we were warned never to put the hollow stems of the giant hogweed to our lips in case we were poisoned. It was tempting to make a pea shooter out of them. Hemlock stinks apparently (just been reading a Caroline Graham novel :D ).
Yes apparently Hemlock smells like a mouse (?). I quite fancy some Cow Parsley at the bottom of our garden, its a wild place :lol:

Yes apparently Hemlock smells like a mouse (?). I quite fancy some Cow Parsley at the bottom of our garden, its a wild place :lol:
Me too (the cow parsley in the garden bit, not the mouse smelling - I think it means mouse pee smell (that definitely stinks)).
I have apparently led a sheltered life.

Just to get everyone’s minds off cow parsley, a field!
10A66E05-5224-42B8-847B-53EFD61F1F49.jpeg

Probably the last from this particular walk as the traffic is building up again and whilst I am happy to suffer for my art, being plastered across the front of a £50grand SUV is going too far.
iPhone XS and Snapseed.

Just to get everyone’s minds off cow parsley, a field!
View attachment 158006
Probably the last from this particular walk as the traffic is building up again and whilst I am happy to suffer for my art, being plastered across the front of a £50grand SUV is going too far.
iPhone XS and Snapseed.
Beautifully framed Nick.

and whilst I am happy to suffer for my art, being plastered across the front of a £50grand SUV is going too far.
Amen, brother. Anyone walking the rural roads outside our little cul-de-sac must be ready to leap into the shrubbery at any moment.

Last edited:
This challenge is now CLOSED. Well, I think we’ve got enough images for rizole Rizole to get his teeth into. Whenever you have the time Rizole, it’s all yours.

This challenge is now CLOSED. Well, I think we’ve got enough images for rizole Rizole to get his teeth into. Whenever you have the time Rizole, it’s all yours.
The black and white committee has convened, examined the evidence and found no gray areas so with a clearly delineated boundaries we can pronounce thusly:

Lovely landscapes abounded this week. NickLeon wins the landscape HM's for Tranquility... Social distancing... a field and This morning's walk.
JillyG came in a close second. I particularly liked The night sky. The mainly black overtones and interest in the sky that took me a beat and a squint to figure out what I was looking at.
Good stuff from terse and Starzee this week in this category.

Despite the stated clearly delineated boundaries, I'm doing a joint 3rd with two quite different and contrasting pictures :p

sinnerjohn's Dinosaurs. I love the clarity, detail, depth and textures in this. The elements lead my eye into the detail and leave it bouncing around the horizon line.
TomHH's Waterdrops. Circles are a no brainer (see the current appstract thread) but this picture is giving us circular detail at fractal levels. Love the contrasts. There's a loss of details at the outer edges that's quite common (in my experience - probably need a better lens system) with macro lenses but that doesn't significantly detract from the over all composition.

First and second place are so close as to be a photo finish (do you see what I did there?)

2nd place this week goes to sdimbour for Lighthouse and The wave. Both upto her usual high quality, compositional fabulosity and clarity of vision. I particularly liked the wave. The scale and positioning of the elements took me some looking at to figure gound them. It's got structural simplicity with a blend of textural detail and then there's the timing of the shot. Nice.

And our winner this week is.......*drum roll*

terse for Intent.
25AC08F8-E097-42D3-A38A-0443F72009CE.jpeg

A beautiful, genuinely moving portrait, tremendous focus, detail, lighting, contrasts and that eye! Well done. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Back
Top Bottom