B&W RESULT: #176 Black & White Challenge

Well chosen, rizole Rizole! I think there is no doubt about the first place! I'd like to know what the cat is wondering about - maybe about those stupid tin openers feeding her!? :lmao:
Congrats to sdimbour Sandra! Think everybody is afraid of her shots because of the quality and compositions! :D!
And of course high five to sinnerjohn John for the prehistoric shot!
And to all challenge members a descent back slap - variety matters!

Again - this challenge states what superb shots can be made with phones! Except using a low price macro lens :lmao:!

The black and white committee has convened, examined the evidence and found no gray areas so with a clearly delineated boundaries we can pronounce thusly:

Lovely landscapes abounded this week. NickLeon wins the landscape HM's for Tranquility... Social distancing... a field and This morning's walk.
JillyG came in a close second. I particularly liked The night sky. The mainly black overtones and interest in the sky that took me a beat and a squint to figure out what I was looking at.
Good stuff from terse and Starzee this week in this category.

Despite the stated clearly delineated boundaries, I'm doing a joint 3rd with two quite different and contrasting pictures :p

sinnerjohn's Dinosaurs. I love the clarity, detail, depth and textures in this. The elements lead my eye into the detail and leave it bouncing around the horizon line.
TomHH's Waterdrops. Circles are a no brainer (see the current appstract thread) but this picture is giving us circular detail at fractal levels. Love the contrasts. There's a loss of details at the outer edges that's quite common (in my experience - probably need a better lens system) with macro lenses but that doesn't significantly detract from the over all composition.

First and second place are so close as to be a photo finish (do you see what I did there?)

2nd place this week goes to sdimbour for Lighthouse and The wave. Both upto her usual high quality, compositional fabulosity and clarity of vision. I particularly liked the wave. The scale and positioning of the elements took me some looking at to figure gound them. It's got structural simplicity with a blend of textural detail and then there's the timing of the shot. Nice.

And our winner this week is.......*drum roll*

terse for Intent.View attachment 158048

A beautiful, genuinely moving portrait, tremendous focus, detail, lighting, contrasts and that eye! Well done. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Yup, that cat is hard to beat! Congrats to everyone and thanks for the mention.

The black and white committee has convened, examined the evidence and found no gray areas so with a clearly delineated boundaries we can pronounce thusly:

Lovely landscapes abounded this week. NickLeon wins the landscape HM's for Tranquility... Social distancing... a field and This morning's walk.
JillyG came in a close second. I particularly liked The night sky. The mainly black overtones and interest in the sky that took me a beat and a squint to figure out what I was looking at.

Despite the stated clearly delineated boundaries, I'm doing a joint 3rd with two quite different and contrasting pictures :p

sinnerjohn's Dinosaurs. I love the clarity, detail, depth and textures in this. The elements lead my eye into the detail and leave it bouncing around the horizon line.
TomHH's Waterdrops. Circles are a no brainer (see the current appstract thread) but this picture is giving us circular detail at fractal levels. Love the contrasts. There's a loss of details at the outer edges that's quite common (in my experience - probably need a better lens system) with macro lenses but that doesn't significantly detract from the over all composition.

First and second place are so close as to be a photo finish (do you see what I did there?)

2nd place this week goes to sdimbour for Lighthouse and The wave. Both upto her usual high quality, compositional fabulosity and clarity of vision. I particularly liked the wave. The scale and positioning of the elements took me some looking at to figure gound them. It's got structural simplicity with a blend of textural detail and then there's the timing of the shot. Nice.

A beautiful, genuinely moving portrait, tremendous focus, detail, lighting, contrasts and that eye! Well done. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Congrats Ted, there was only going to be one winner this week, superb.
Yay to everyone else and cheers rizole for my mention.

Thanks, rizole, I'm honored (and Hodge is preening and reminding me how he said I should take more pictures of him). Congrats to Sandra, Tom, and John, and everyone else who keeps this challenge going. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Congratulations to terse for another great photo, and well done to everyone else for providing some great images - the quality here is fab as usual. Many thanks for the HM re my landscapes, much appreciated.

A wonderful piece of judging rizole Rizole. Super congratulations to terse Ted and to Hodge - I too am surprised that we don’t see more of him. It’s a fabulous portrait for all the reasons that Rizole stated. Well done sdimbour Sandra for her close second (yes, Rizole, I saw what you did there). High fives to TomHH Tom and sinnerjohn John for joint third. And group hugs for the HMs. Outstanding work again this week. Okay, me and The Hodge (as I like to call him ‘cos he’s cool) are going to mosey on down to the Gallery, keeping a sharp eye out for anything fluffy, squeaky and scurry-y. See you there.

Cow parsley, Queen Anne's lace, mother die, fairy lace, lady’s lace, hedge parsley, a plant of many names!

I didn't know this, 'Another vernacular name,' Mother die' or 'Mummy die', was used to frighten children into thinking that if they picked cow parsley, their mother would die. This was intended to deter children from potentially picking deadly hemlock.' Never stop learning eh.
Yes, I happen to read about hemlock the other day. Didn’t know such a thing existed strangely and freaked a bit. I’d like to think I would recognise the difference but I’m not sure!

So jolly stunning! Couldn’t be anybody else. What a wonderful angle/view, Ted.
(I wonder if I have any cat magnates left in my camera roll :sneaky: :whistle:)

Yes, I happen to read about hemlock the other day. Didn’t know such a thing existed strangely and freaked a bit. I’d like to think I would recognise the difference but I’m not sure!
The main thing is Hemlock has a (purple) blotchy stem. I've been looking out for it over in the fields but maybe it's rarer around here.

Congrats Ted terse
This is a wonderful portrait with great details. Each time I see that cat, I’m impressed by the sharpness of the image. The eye in particular.. waow!!! :thumbs:
Congrats to everyone for the quality of the pics and see you next week for the bnw challenge :inlove:

The main thing is Hemlock has a (purple) blotchy stem. I've been looking out for it over in the fields but maybe it's rarer around here.
I don’t think I’d recognise it. And I think, although I might be wrong, that it likes to be near water, or at least a damp patch.

I don’t think I’d recognise it. And I think, although I might be wrong, that it likes to be near water, or at least a damp patch.
Yes, but I've looked on the canal bank near us and it all seems to be cow parsley. Maybe damp and boggy, who knows!!
Not that I want to find any of course :rolleyes:

Yes, but I've looked on the canal bank near us and it all seems to be cow parsley. Maybe damp and boggy, who knows!!
Hmmmm, me thinks thou doth protest too much. :rolleyes: Where we used to live, in Stilton, there was plenty apparently down by the stream. I never did see it.

We’ve found some!!!! It was a clump of bright green leaves and the flowers are only just coming out! When you compare it to the cow parsley and giant hogweed around it, it’s soooo different. It’s not a plant I’ve ever seen before.

7EF7AC86-A8C6-4D1D-9FD7-10886233DE17.jpeg

71EEA170-A80E-4562-B8B9-E8DDECA384D8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom