B&W RESULT: #182 Black & White Challenge

Did you make a colour/abstract version of this one ?
Ah, you have rumbled me again, Jen. There’s the psychoanalyst coming out in you. :lol: However, somehow the mojo wasn’t there and in the end I settled for a BW and deleted all the feeble attempts. The problem is I don’t have enough material on my new iPad so I’m clutching at straws. Time to delve through the 1000s of images on my phone.:)

2020-07-30 07.34.53 1.jpg

sinnerjohn on Tor

Useless fact of the day: the late Arthur Marshall ( Call my Bluff ) was both a pupil, then a master at Oundle up until his war service in 1939.
Oooh, thank you for that Nick. Lots of pupils joined the army and died in the First World War.:( They have photographs of a lot of them in one of the walkways.

I did Nick, it's been around 30 years since my last visit. The best bits are still the same, the worse bits have probably got worse!!
Your henge photo sent me down a rabbit hole to recover this (non-mobile, so just linked) image

crashinglybeautiful.tumblr.com/post/1163061045

during which trip I discovered that Stonehenge was built in 1954, because there's a picture of a crane hoisting a lintel into place from then. Who knew?

EDIT: I tried to post that as a clickable link, but when I tried, it displayed the whole pic. If anyone knows how to insert a link without getting the contents displayed, let me know please. For right now, you'll have to copy/paste.

I hope there’s enough images for rizole Rizole to get his teeth into (I think so). This challenge is now CLOSED and it’s over to Rizole for the judging. Whenever you have a moment on this beautiful day. :thumbs:

Your henge photo sent me down a rabbit hole to recover this (non-mobile, so just linked) image

crashinglybeautiful.tumblr.com/post/1163061045

during which trip I discovered that Stonehenge was built in 1954, because there's a picture of a crane hoisting a lintel into place from then. Who knew?

EDIT: I tried to post that as a clickable link, but when I tried, it displayed the whole pic. If anyone knows how to insert a link without getting the contents displayed, let me know please. For right now, you'll have to copy/paste.
Copy the page URL. Select insert link, paste the link and add some text. Should give you this:

Stonehenge's Gardener

Clipboard01.jpg

If you just want to link to the pic, depending on browser, right click (long press) and open/view image. Copy the URL and then dothe insert link routine again.

HMS first. I particularly likes the negative space pics this week so HM's to deepop , lkbside and terse for them and a HM and welcome to the thread shryn, nice waterfall, good detail. HM again for our ICM man of the moment, terse for his agave which just keeps being good to him.

In third this week we have ImageArt with Panosabotage of a train trip I did. I like a nice panosab, whichg this is, but you've got a good long one here with good details and little distortion, as sinnerjohn said, not too much sabotage.

Speaking of whom, 2nd place goes to sinnerjohn with Somewhere in Wiltshire. Just a clear, crisp image, good tonal whatsists and contrasts, a big sky and nice details and textures.

Our winner this week is deepop, Quarantine selfie.

1A465D62-2EFD-440A-9114-70A768B437CC.jpeg

As zenjenny points out, lovely rich black and silvery light in this. Human faces are almost always just intrinsically interesting and we don't get as many portraits round here as we could but this one is a corker for me. The framing, composition, lighting, negative space all add impact, mood and feeling to the pic. Very nice work. :thumbs:

HMS first. I particularly likes the negative space pics this week so HM's to deepop , lkbside and terse for them and a HM and welcome to the thread shryn, nice waterfall, good detail. HM again for our ICM man of the moment, terse for his agave which just keeps being good to him.

In third this week we have ImageArt with Panosabotage of a train trip I did. I like a nice panosab, whichg this is, but you've got a good long one here with good details and little distortion, as sinnerjohn said, not too much sabotage.

Speaking of whom, 2nd place goes to sinnerjohn with Somewhere in Wiltshire. Just a clear, crisp image, good tonal whatsists and contrasts, a big sky and nice details and textures.

View attachment 159520
As zenjenny points out, lovely rich black and silvery light in this. Human faces are almost always just intrinsically interesting and we don't get as many portraits round here as we could but this one is a corker for me. The framing, composition, lighting, negative space all add impact, mood and feeling to the pic. Very nice work. :thumbs:
Congrats to deepop David! Superb choices rizole Rizole!

View attachment 159520
Thanks, Rizole. I really appreciate your thoughts. Congratulations to John, Ann, Leslie and Ted.(sounds like a movie title.)

View attachment 159520

always like reading your reviews, rizole - ‘specially when your #1 would have been mine by a country mile (how did this portrait not make it into the IoM thread??? I blame deepop for posting it on the last day of the month. Please pay more attention, David.

and congrats, David. Gorgeous, gorgeous portrait. And as rizole says (or if he didn’t he should have) I hope it inspires more portraits in our challenges.

congrats John Ann Leslie Stephen Ted :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
(Btw special mention: HM shryn has been here for about five minutes - thanks so much for joining in straight up :))

always like reading your reviews, rizole - ‘specially when your #1 would have been mine by a country mile (how did this portrait not make it into the IoM thread??? I blame deepop for posting it on the last day of the month. Please pay more attention, David.

and congrats, David. Gorgeous, gorgeous portrait. And as rizole says (or if he didn’t he should have) I hope it inspires more portraits in our challenges.

congrats John Ann Leslie Stephen Ted :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
(Btw special mention: HM shryn has been here for about five minutes - thanks so much for joining in straight up :))
I agree and vote that we can enter it in next month’s.

View attachment 159520
Well done, David. Wish my selfies were as good! Nice one, John. Thanks for the third, Rizole. And well done to all the HMs. A good week...as always.

Back
Top Bottom