B&W RESULT: #188 Black & White Challenge

PXL_20201001_175007761~2.jpg

following the sun

View attachment 160871

epic battle - ok I'll never be wildlife photographer of the year but I try. I think the heavyweight would have beaten off the young pretender but I got too close to the web and touched it sending shockwaves through it and interrupting the battle.
Is it a battle or something a bit more romantic? They look very similar in colouration and pattern although the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

For this round, I'm adding a special Prolific Award for sinnerjohn. Let's not hear any more about you not finding anything to shoot, eh?

Honorable Mentions go to Geek1956 for his untitled stairway silhouette, sinnerjohn for "got the builders in" with its amazing dragon, MsDee for the serene "Rocker on the Porch", younger for the almost abstract "Let there be light", and NickLeon for "Alpine life" with its remarkable perspective.

Third goes to sinnerjohn for "someone's nightmare". What works for me in this image and lifts it above the pack is the almost random arrangement of in-focus and out-of-focus spots on the spider's body and legs. Somehow that makes the whole image even more nightmare-ish. And if I'd had it described to me before I saw it, I wouldn't have thought it would work. But it does.

img_20200919_100208_617-jpg.160685

Second -- although it was really really close -- goes to sdimbour for "Sunset atmosphere". The young woman with her flowing wrap, solid dark jacket, breezy hair, and (I think) almost hidden smile is magnetic, as shown by the hapless clown at her feet. It's the right subject caught at exactly the right moment, all in a landscape of cliffs, sea, and beach that is a worthy image in itself.

61a629e9-515a-493c-9d0e-6e2ad87ae397-jpeg.160972

So first goes -- by a hair -- to TomHH for "The dark side" with its beautiful blacks, pool of light, and crisp straight lines. As Jilly said "Fabulous inky blacks, negative space and sharpness." In short, a classic b/w.

pmr3-img_20201003_213122-01-01-jpg.160980

Last edited:
For this round, I'm adding a special Prolific Award for sinnerjohn. Let's not hear any more about you not finding anything to shoot, eh?

Honorable Mentions go to Geek1956 for his untitled stairway silhouette, sinnerjohn for "got the builders in" with its amazing dragon, MsDee for the serene "Rocker on the Porch", younger for the almost abstract "Let there be light", and NickLeon for "Alpine life" with its remarkable perspective.

Third goes to sinnerjohn for "someone's nightmare". What works for me in this image and lifts it above the pack is the almost random arrangement of in-focus and out-of-focus spots on the spider's body and legs. Somehow that makes the whole image even more nightmare-ish. And if I'd had it described to me before I saw it, I wouldn't have thought it would work. But it does.

Second -- although it was really really close -- goes to sdimbour for "Sunset atmosphere". The young woman with her flowing wrap, solid dark jacket, breezy hair, and (I think) almost hidden smile is magnetic, as shown by the hapless clown at her feet. It's the right subject caught at exactly the right moment, all in a landscape of cliffs, sea, and beach that is a worthy image in itself.

So first goes -- by a hair -- to TomHH for "The dark side" with its beautiful blacks, pool of light, and crisp straight lines. As Jilly said "Fabulous inky blacks, negative space and sharpness." In short, a classic b/w.

Congrats TomHH what a superb image, first time I've seen it, being a late entry and all that. A clear winner :thumbs:
Well done sdimbour and me! Thanks for your interesting take on my mad spider Ted :)

Thank you Ted. TomHH Tom’s image is an absolute stunner. Congratulations. High fives to sdimbour Sandra and sinnerjohn John for second and third respectively - both great images. Well done to all of the Honorable Mentions, and to John for his special award. :lol: Right-ho, I’m going over to The Dark Side. Or rather, I’m taking The Dark Side down to the Gallery.:D

Thx for this first place. I must confess that I had a bad run the last weeks and wasn't in the mood for shooting. Maybe I needed a break to start over.
Being in the right place and the right time sorted things again - I hope. :)
Congrats to sinnerjohn John for his spider parts :thumbs: and sdimbour Sandra for her scenic beach!
Once again there've been plenty of gorgeous shots in this round.
To all of unmentioned shooters - please keep on shooting and presenting us your shots and findings! Diversity is the motor of our all creativity. :thumbs:

Thanks for the HM :) And great choices!
congrats, everyone!

Congrats TomHH for this well deserved win. Great view. Great pic. Love it.
Congrats sinnerjohn for your 3rd place!!!
Thanks Ted terse for my 2nd place :)
See you next week

Edit:
Humble apologies, TomHH Tom (thanks for pointing out my mistake, John). And congrats on the win for your stunning ‘Dark Side’ image. ‘What everyone else has said‘ about it — and glad you're shooting again. That bit of a rest has clearly had a good effect :thumbs: :notworthy::)

Congrats John on your special award, and again on your horribly beautiful/beautifully horrible Halloween-worthy spider.

Congrats sdimbour Sandra, loved all your BWs this week. I love them every week :lmao:

And congrats all HMs - & thanks all for another pleasant week fortnight of browsing :notworthy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom