B&W RESULT: #208 Black & White Challenge

I remember reading that the zebra pattern helps keep the insects off?
I don’t know…. I saw this horse with the zebra blanket last winter on my way to work. I nearly drove into a tree trying sort out what I was looking at. I have been watching for that blanket ever since.

35F43C6D-B620-47EC-AFEC-13948D03D87C.jpeg

Apple cam, Photos

I declare this particular Black & White Challenge CLOSED. Over to you rizole Rizole, to choose your favourites.:)

Honorable Mentions go to:

terse. As the submitter of over 1/3rd of the threads pictures this bi-week, he's almost turning into the antonym of his own username. A veritable superfluity of loquaciousness.

There also seemed to be a secret theme of minimalism this week with some standout examples from sinnerjohn, JillyG, WOTANICUS and terse. Particularly enjoyed sinnerjohn's batty :D. And if we include batty (and I am, judges perogative), that's 6 pics with airbourne birds this week.

In 3rd this week is Geek1956 with Summer fun at Botany Bay with a seagull fly past. Lovely tonal depth in the sky. 3 sweeps of criss-crossing movement in the lower part of the picture and the gull accent highlighting the lot. Good job.

In 2nd is deepop with Blindsided. Another quite minimalist piece, the contrast between strong, linear bands of light and dark and softer gradients and gentle sweeps is lovely. The delicate curve of the blinds and the echos of them in their own shadows, I find quite powerful.

Our winner this week is terse with Tailgating.
D8282F9D-2E83-4EE7-AA0F-C0D9C3DCBA58.jpeg

There's something very Fatboy Slim "You've Come a Long Way, Baby" album cover about this but with fewer big beat, electronic music references.

What's to say? A naturalistic, candid portrait, with little or no element of it not doing something useful. The subject looks happy, very comfortable, plugged in and, at the same time, looking out from her personal bubble and the frame of the shot to her companions. And despite being physically out of shot, they are there reflected in her glasses and the back of the tailgate. It's almost a metaphore. Extra points for the fishing gear.

Teachnically, given it's a shooting from the hip shot, It's clean, crisp, compositionally and tonal very nicely balanced. Well done.

terse. As the submitter of over 1/3rd of the threads pictures this bi-week, he's almost turning into the antonym of his own username. A veritable superfluity of loquaciousness.

There also seemed to be a secret theme of minimalism this week with some standout examples from sinnerjohn, JillyG, WOTANICUS and terse. Particularly enjoyed sinnerjohn's batty :D. And if we include batty (and I am, judges perogative), that's 6 pics with airbourne birds this week.

In 3rd this week is Geek1956 with Summer fun at Botany Bay with a seagull fly past. Lovely tonal depth in the sky. 3 sweeps of criss-crossing movement in the lower part of the picture and the gull accent highlighting the lot. Good job.

In 2nd is deepop with Blindsided. Another quite minimalist piece, the contrast between strong, linear bands of light and dark and softer gradients and gentle sweeps is lovely. The delicate curve of the blinds and the echos of them in their own shadows, I find quite powerful.

View attachment 169209

There's something very Fatboy Slim "You've Come a Long Way, Baby" album cover about this but with fewer big beat, electronic music references.

What's to say? A naturalistic, candid portrait, with little or no element of it not doing something useful. The subject looks happy, very comfortable, plugged in and, at the same time, looking out from her personal bubble and the frame of the shot to her companions. And despite being physically out of shot, they are there reflected in her glasses and the back of the tailgate. It's almost a metaphore. Extra points for the fishing gear.

Teachnically, given it's a shooting from the hip shot, It's clean, crisp, compositionally and tonal very nicely balanced. Well done.
Bravo! Nice choices! Congrats to all!

View attachment 169209

Never really any doubt of who the winner was going to be this week, great image Ted.
Well done deepop & Geek1956 for your 2nd and 3rds. Cheers for the mention rizole

View attachment 169209

Of course it’s the winner! It’s awesome. Great judging Rizole - as usual.:notworthy: Congratulations terse Ted - a great image for all the reasons Rizole said! Well done to Geek1956 Kevin and deepop David for third and second respectively - just two of several wonderful images you posted this past two weeks. Thank you for my HM and high fives to sinnerjohn John and WOTANICUS Bill. Thank you to everyone who posted and commented - it’s not much of a challenge without you.:hearteyes: Right, I’m going to load that lady into the back of the Toyota and drive down to the Gallery. See you there!

View attachment 169209

The lady and I thank you rizole, both for the win and the commentary. :notworthy: You described my perception of her exactly. Congrats to deepop and Geek1956 for those fine photos, too.

View attachment 169209

Amazing hip shot, Ted. Mine are usually out of focus, tilted, etc. (More often than not I hit the lock button instead of a volume button.
:confused:
) Congrats to Kevin. Thanks,Rizole, for the silver.

Fantastic job all round, everyone, well deserved winners too! Great job on judging too Rizole, now I now how its done! Great Win Ted, 'Tailgating' is such a great shot and a perfect example of the 'narrative frame' should anyone still be hesitating with the current Mobi Colour challenge!

Back
Top Bottom