B&W RESULT: #218 Black & White Challenge

MnMs
hipsta, snapseed
EE2F26F8-C101-40D7-B490-2E8FB0635556.jpeg

Wow this is really good. Definitely minimalist and great contrast between the figures and buildings. That book was definitely a good investment
Thanks! It’s a learning curve but not really difficult. I’m going back to work with some travel photos on the roll. I’ve yet to figure out how to get a transparent background in ps express.

One key tip is to shoot facades and other little details like decorative windows, etc. straight on from far enough back. We’re going to Florida tomorrow so I’m hoping to find some fun pastel houses, buildings to play with.

Just downloaded the book looks like fun
She uses Retouch & SKRWT, but I find it easier to get rid of the background as well as straighten with PS Express. Somehow she is able to get rid of background stuff with selective brightening in Snapseed, but I’ve not been able to master that.

Thanks! It’s a learning curve but not really difficult. I’m going back to work with some travel photos on the roll. I’ve yet to figure out how to get a transparent background in ps express.

One key tip is to shoot facades and other little details like decorative windows, etc. straight on from far enough back. We’re going to Florida tomorrow so I’m hoping to find some fun pastel houses, buildings to play with.

She uses Retouch & SKRWT, but I find it easier to get rid of the background as well as straighten with PS Express. Somehow she is able to get rid of background stuff with selective brightening in Snapseed, but I’ve not been able to master that.
Top tips. Thank you Leslie.:thumbs:

View attachment 173854
I was trying out lkbside Leslie’s top tips - the Snapseed one worked a treat to remove the sky. The birds, from DistressedFX, might be a bit OTT.:rolleyes:
She adds birds to balance her compositions, but as you would expect she keeps them minimal in numbers, usually three.

Figured out how to make a transparent background in ps express. You save your cutout as a png not jpg.

She adds birds to balance her compositions, but as you would expect she keeps them minimal in numbers, usually three.

Figured out how to make a transparent background in ps express. You save your cutout as a png not jpg.
i think that’s the same with SuperimposeX and Procreate.:thumbs:

Somehow she is able to get rid of background stuff with selective brightening in Snapseed, but I’ve not been able to master that.

View attachment 173855
I was trying out lkbside Leslie’s top tips - the Snapseed one worked a treat to remove the sky. Edit: I took Leslie’s advice and limited the added birds to three - a brush in iColorama.
Me too. Clearly I didn't have a full picture of how the selective adjust works on snapseed. Nice one.
Here's the Help page on it should any one want it.

Interesting, the magic of Snapseed eh. Don't actually understand how you could get rid of the background though, I'm probably just being thick.
Not thick.
Selective adjust effects pixels of a similar kind. I'm not clear of the selection criteria (looks like colour values on the face of it but there might be more to it.) and adjusts only them. So if you have a blue sky and a red brick building, for instance, selectively adjusting the sky will only affect the sky, not the buiding. If you want to get rid of sky, selectively adjust it one or more times to do that.
So here's the original...
IMG_20211113_131020.jpg

and here's the output after 4 passess with the selective tool.
IMG_20211113_131020-01.jpeg

Look at that tree. Nice clean branches, no blur, no blue, nice.
There's also lightening of the clock faces and other surfaces so it's not infallible but that could be masked in the edit stack.
Also, a quick demo edit so please ignore any inconsistentcy.
Add with the healing and brush tools to lighten/darken and you have an effective way to remove backgrounds...

Last edited:
Not thick.
Selective adjust effects pixels of a similar kind. I'm not clear of the selection criteria (looks like colour values on the face of it but there might be more to it.) and adjusts only them. So if you have a blue sky and a red brick building, for instance, selectively adjusting the sky will only affect the sky, not the buiding. If you want to get rid of sky, selectively adjust it one or more times to do that.
So here's the original...
View attachment 173860
and here's the output after 4 passess with the selective tool.
View attachment 173861
There's also lightening of the clock faces and other surfaces so it's not infallible but that could be masked in the edit stack.
Also, a quick demo edit so please ignore any inconsistentcy.
Add with the healing and brush tools to lighten/darken and you have an effective way to remove backgrounds...
In my own experiments today with it I found masking in the edit stack was needed more or less consistently to remove changes I didn't want.
That said, I think the beauty of the selective adjust is it's edge detection. If I had a £1 for everytime time I've tried to lighten or darken a background with the brush and ended up with messy edge boundaries, I'd have £30-£50.

Yes, PNG supports transparency while JPG and TIF don't. Same in every app. I found it handy to create an album in Photos just for PNGs so I can find them easily again when collaging.
That is a very good idea.

Back
Top Bottom