B&W RESULT: #247 Black & White Challenge

So sorry!:oops: Better late than never! This challenge is now CLOSED. It’s ric alexander Ric’s task to choose his favourites. Over to you Ric.:thumbs:

Here we go then. I whittled it to ten and then got a bit stuck On which way this was going to go. It really is an honour to judge, but boy can it be a real headache.

anyway

1st Place
deepop - Portrait.

oh this spoke sooo much to me. A young lady maybe that was press-ganged into doing piano lessons which she detests figured a way to get one over on her mother, father or both. Escaping to do something she wanted to do, she wickedly places her portrait with her smiling in her place.
those thoughts sealed it as the winner for me but a great image in its own right. I love it so congrats deepop

B74FC502-BE02-41E8-A2C1-768A07976094.jpeg

Runner up
Geek1956 - Riding along on a pushbike.

I selected this as it was different, I love minimalistic and this just jumped out at me.
cropping the top part of the rider was definitely the right decision with a strong shadow like that. Those lines in the floor help drag the eye up to it nicely.
very classic old school, very very good!
btw, i agonised over your selections this week. A bet each way could so easily have done it as could have Patterns.

2DCD035E-D733-447E-8EFB-A2BA906D20C4.jpeg

3rd place.
Starzee - Walcott falls.

There’s just something about waterfalls, especially when there is no one else around. Usually everyone blurs the water so to see a straight shot is refreshing. Love the Light in it as well and just imagining spending time there by myself or with my trusted Reu made me stop and pick this one. God knows I have many near me in the Welsh valleys, Maybe this will get me off my backside and plan a trip to the local waterfall walk. Lovely image.

92F53F64-65CC-4B2E-B354-71ED881F55BA.jpeg

well apart from those above, I have to give HM’s to terse , art on the wharf could so easily have got in there, JillyG with itchin, it was agony not having that one in the last 3.
the same can be said for sinnerjohn - your a star, god that was a goodun, rvilhena with museu de arte Moderna, I feel so guilty leaving this one out of the top 3! It was superb and also sdimbour , I feel guilty again because your selection all warranted top places. Maybe the problem was I’d already seen them before the contest, but bravo on some beautiful captures in your usual style.

thats it folks, onto deepop for the next hard judging challenge!!

Last edited:
Here we go then. I whittled it to ten and then got a bit stuck On which way this was going to go. It really is an honour to judge, but boy can it be a real headache.

anyway

1st Place
deepop - Portrait.

oh this spoke sooo much to me. A young lady maybe that was press-ganged into doing piano lessons which she detests figured a way to get one over on her mother, father or both. Escaping to do something she wanted to do, she wickedly places her portrait with her smiling in her place.
those thoughts sealed it as the winner for me but a great image in its own right. I love it so congrats deepop

View attachment 183013

Runner up

I selected this as it was different, I love minimalistic and this just jumped out at me.
cropping the top part of the rider was definitely the right decision with a strong shadow like that. Those lines in the floor help drag the eye up to it nicely.
btw, i agonised over your selections this week. A bet each way could so easily have done it as could have Patterns.

View attachment 183014

3rd place.
Starzee - Walcott falls.

There’s just something about waterfalls, especially when there is no one else around. Usually everyone blurs the water so to see a straight shot is refreshing. Love the LIGHt in it as well and just imagining spending time there by myself or with my trusted Reu made me stop and pick this one. God knows I have many near me in the Welsh valleys, Maybe this will get me off my backside and plan a trip to the local waterfall walk. Lovely image.

View attachment 183015

well apart from those abov, I have to give HM’s to terse , art on the wharf could so easily have got in there, JillyG with itchin, it was agony not having that one in the last 3.
the same can be said for sinnerjohn - your a star, god that was a goodun, rvilhena with museu de arte Moderna, I feel so guilty leaving this one out of the top 3! It was superb and also sdimbour , I feel guilty again because your selection all warranted top places. Maybe the problem was I’d already seen them before the contest, but bravo on some beautiful captures in your usual style.

Great judging Ric, thank you. It’s lovely to hear the judge talk about his/her choices. Super congratulations to deepop David - that’s such an unusual image and Ric has given us a story behind it, and I can imagine that now. Fab. Well done to Geek1956 Kevin for his second place - such a clean, well-edited, beautifully composed image. High fives to Starzee Star for coming in third with her Walcott falls. I’d love to be under the falls now, as the weather in the UK is baking hot. Thank you for my HM and great work from the others, and from everyone actually. I’m off to the Gallery with David’s Portrait. See you there.

anyway

1st Place
deepop - Portrait.

View attachment 183013

Runner up

View attachment 183014

3rd place.
Starzee - Walcott falls.

There’s just something about waterfalls, especially when there is no one else around. Usually everyone blurs the water so to see a straight shot is refreshing. Love the LIGHt in it as well and just imagining spending time there by myself or with my trusted Reu made me stop and pick this one. God knows I have many near me in the Welsh valleys, Maybe this will get me off my backside and plan a trip to the local waterfall walk. Lovely image.

View attachment 183015

well apart from those abov, I have to give HM’s to terse , art on the wharf could so easily have got in there, JillyG with itchin, it was agony not having that one in the last 3.

I love, love, love deepop Dave’ image!!! Congrats to him and Geek1956 and thanks for my 3rd!

anyway

1st Place
deepop - Portrait.

View attachment 183013

Runner up

View attachment 183014

3rd place.
Starzee - Walcott falls.

There’s just something about waterfalls, especially when there is no one else around. Usually everyone blurs the water so to see a straight shot is refreshing. Love the Light in it as well and just imagining spending time there by myself or with my trusted Reu made me stop and pick this one. God knows I have many near me in the Welsh valleys, Maybe this will get me off my backside and plan a trip to the local waterfall walk. Lovely image.

View attachment 183015

well apart from those above, I have to give HM’s to terse , art on the wharf could so easily have got in there, JillyG with itchin, it was agony not having that one in the last 3.

Congrats deepop really interesting image that, well deserved :thumbs:
Well done Geek1956 and Starzee too, another lovely pair of images.
Thanks for my mention Ric, another tough week to judge.

Nice as always to read the judge’s comments, thanks, Ric. Good if stressful & exhausting work whittling down so many stellar images (nothing a couple of Bex and a nice lie down won’t fix).

Congrats David Star & Kevin — and I think Ric mentioned everyone who posted, so congrats everyone else as well !

anyway

1st Place
deepop - Portrait.

View attachment 183013

Runner up

View attachment 183014

3rd place.
Starzee - Walcott falls.

View attachment 183015

Thanks, Ric. I love the story you conjured up. Congrats to Kevin, Star, and all the HMs.

Back
Top Bottom