B&W RESULT: #258 Black & White Challenge

Waiting Room

2D44DA57-F1EE-49DA-A8D9-A9E977B23EDE.jpeg

Snapseed

This challenge is now CLOSED. It’s rizole Rizole’s task to choose his favourites - whenever is convenient. :thumbs:

First I'd like to give myself a HM for a cracking, overly agressive start to the B&W week followed by a classic comic reversal. :drool:

HMS also to terse's birds, WOTANICUS's street photos, (infact good street stuff this week all round, love psmoore's 3 doors,) chineezguy's Lew Castle and deepop's pedestrian walkway.

On the podium this week in 3rd position is sinnerjohn with Josep. Love the framing, the texture and palette of darks and greys. My assumption is this is a gravestone, it might not be, and that gives the picture a poignancy. Even the fact that the name is off the horizontal and looks like the pic was taken to the side and not face on, adds to the feel and quality of the image.

In 2nd position is dscheff with Watch This. A lovely portrait with beautiful, rich, glowing lighting. A real stunner I think. Getting eye contact from a cat is nigh on imposible in my experience but Dobby's(?) gaze gives the sense of real connection with the viewer.

In 1st position is RoseCat with Through a window while sitting in traffic.
B65568C7-D64C-49A1-9CB0-628AC31F454D.jpeg

My immediate response to it was a mix of irritation and mild ire. I didn't really look at it and moved on to the next in the thread. It looks like a picture that hasn't downloaded properly with digital aberrations and glitches.

Later, when I saw Jilly say...
I thought they were mountains! :lol:
I thought I'd missed a pic, went back to look, saw it was this pic and looked at it again with my eyes, not my my knee jerk reactions.

I think this is brilliant. It seems to break many photography and compositional conventions. In that sense it has a bit of a punk aesthetic for me. The sky and wall are in the same tonal range making it look quite flat until you look closer. And I had to look closer, it drew me in. I can't quite resolve the scale or distance in the central details. The tree and harley davision sign perhaps give it away. I like how the sign isn't all there and, repetative divots in the wall and splashing of the paint/render on the wall add to the punkness. Even the sky isn't quite playing ball with a smidge of cloud to break the perfect gradient.

First I'd like to give myself a HM for a cracking, overly agressive start to the B&W week followed by a classic comic reversal. :drool:

HMS also to terse's birds, WOTANICUS's street photos, (infact good street stuff this week all round, love psmoore's 3 doors,) chineezguy's Lew Castle and deepop's pedestrian walkway.

On the podium this week in 3rd position is sinnerjohn with Josep. Love the framing, the texture and palette of darks and greys. My assumption is this is a gravestone, it might not be, and that gives the picture a poignancy. Even the fact that the name is off the horizontal and looks like the pic was taken to the side and not face on, adds to the feel and quality of the image.

In 2nd position is dscheff with Watch This. A lovely portrait with beautiful, rich, glowing lighting. A real stunner I think. Getting eye contact from a cat is nigh on imposible in my experience but Dobby's(?) gaze gives the sense of real connection with the viewer.

View attachment 185889
My immediate response to it was a mix of irritation and mild ire. I didn't really look at it and moved on to the next in the thread. It looks like a picture that hasn't downloaded properly with digital aberrations and glitches.

I thought I'd missed a pic, went back to look, saw it was this pic and looked at it again with my eyes, not my my knee jerk reactions.

I think this is brilliant. It seems to break many photography and compositional conventions. In that sense it has a bit of a punk aesthetic for me. The sky and wall are in the same tonal range making it look quite flat until you look closer. And I had to look closer, it drew me in. I can't quite resolve the scale or distance in the central details. The tree and harley davision sign perhaps give it away. I like how the sign isn't all there and, repetative divots in the wall and splashing of the paint/render on the wall add to the punkness. Even the sky isn't quite playing ball with a smidge of cloud to break the perfect gradient.
Great judging, as always Rizole! I’m so glad I had a little hand in the selection of the winner. :lol: Congratulations RoseCat Catherine - that was a great spot as you were waiting in traffic. Did you, I wonder, realise that it looked like a mountain range when you took it? AND I didn’t notice the Harley sign far left, so thank you Rizole! Well done to dscheff Jeffrey and another gloriously-lit image. And also high fives to sinnerjohn John for his third place. Am I the only person who, in her head, adds an h to the end of Josep? Great work from everyone who posted. In particular, rizole Rizole. I want to see those same images appearing in another B&W Challenge that you CAN win please! Right, me and RoseCat Catherine’s mounds :whistle:are off to the Gallery. Please do drop in.:D

View attachment 185889

Nice work all! JillyG Jilly, I may paraphrase your analysis for the Instagram post, if that’s okay!

Back
Top Bottom