B&W RESULT:#66 Black & White Challenge

Look how well those teeth fit - like looking at an alligator’s smile.:D Good one David.:thumbs:

You seem to be somewhere industrial David. Where are you finding all of these cogs and ... stuff?
They were taken in an old bank that has been converted to an art gallery, that among other things specializes in original art from children's books. These pictures were take of the bank vault door. The vault itself was displaying original drawings/artwork by Mo Willems, famous (at least among my grandchildren) for the Pigeon books and Gerald and Piggy books.
http://www.mowillems.com

20180301_090716-01.jpeg

Snow at work last week - ig filter

Folded Book Art

4DF4BC1E-7797-4CC8-8786-5867AB57AAA1.jpeg

Ever since I bought Rog a book with the pages folded into his name I’ve wanted to have a go. On a Pinterest email there was a tutorial on how to do a heart, so this is part of it. The full image is below. It was surprisingly easy, just a lot of measuring and folding, but I think words and names etc are more difficult, but I now know the basics. BTW, the book was Looking for Dilmun (45p from a charity shop) - written in the 60s about an archeologist’s quest to find out whether Dilmun actually existed in the Middle East around 2500 BC. By a strange coincidence, Rog heard an archeologist talking about Dilmun on Radio 4 this afternoon.o_O:appsir:
Snapseed

609F414C-BE74-476B-89EA-470861857E1E.jpeg

Edit: just looked up the book on Amazon - £14 (unfolded:lol:)!! I expect my folded version is worth a lot more.:lmao:

Last edited:
Folded Book Art

View attachment 106886
Ever since I bought Rog a book with the pages folded into his name I’ve wanted to have a go. On a Pinterest email there was a tutorial on how to do a heart, so this is part of it. The full image is below. It was surprisingly easy, just a lot of measuring and folding, but I think words and names etc are more difficult, but I now know the basics. BTW, the book was Looking for Dilmun (45p from a charity shop) - written in the 60s about an archeologist’s quest to find out whether Dilmun actually existed in the Middle East around 2500 BC. By a strange coincidence, Rog heard an archeologist talking about Dilmun on Radio 4 this afternoon.o_O:appsir:
Snapseed

View attachment 106888

Edit: just looked up the book on Amazon - £14 (unfolded:lol:)!! I expect my folded version is worth a lot more.:lmao:
More cleverness from our JillyG. :inlove:

Folded Book Art

View attachment 106886
Snapseed

View attachment 106888

Creative non the less and it makes a good image too.

Okay lovely people, ‘tis time to fear when tyrants seem to kiss. o_O Oh shut up Shakespeare! It’s actually time to close the Black and White Challenge. Consider it closed. terse Ted is the judge, but he’s got other judge-ly duties today too AND the crossword to finish, so who knows when we’ll hear from him. When you can squeeze us in Ted.:lol:

Okay, monochrome folks, here it is:

Third place goes to deepop for "Vault II," where the steely grays and precisely-cut gears remind me of the industrial B/Ws of the 20s and 30s (like this famous one by Lewis Hine , for example). Simple forms yet also tactile (at least if you've spent any time with slightly oily steel machinery).

fullsizeoutput_559d-jpeg.106802

Joint second place goes to Starzee for "Going to the birds" and JillyG for "Folded Book Art". Star's capture of the hordes of snow geese is that perfect combination of right place, right time, and (to go all Buddhist on you) right practice. Yes, you gotta be there, but you also gotta get the shot! Jilly's closeup of her folded book is beautifully simple in form yet full of interesting details like the precise folds and (yes, I read them) the fragments of sentences on the pages.

d79375e8-eec0-42e2-aa65-2f3b56571c49-jpeg.106789

4df4bc1e-7797-4cc8-8786-5867ab57aaa1-jpeg.106886

First goes to RoseCat for "Knotted". As I was scanning this week's entries, I fairly quickly narrowed the list to the four shown here, but at the start, I tentatively had Cat's rope trick in fourth place. As I cycled through the images over and over, though, this one steadily rose up the list until I finally decided it had to be #1. I love the neat herringbone pattern of the woven rope contrasting with the big curves of the knot, the sharpness of the near field contrasting with the blur fading into the background, the bright white and deep black accents, and the overall bright tone of the image. I wish I'd done that. :notworthy:

424c78b9-913b-4cdc-b649-8276eab1eaca-jpeg.106810

Last edited:

Third place goes to deepop for "Vault II," where the steely grays and precisely-cut gears remind me of the industrial B/Ws of the 20s and 30s (like this famous one by Lewis Hine , for example). Simple forms yet also tactile (at least if you've spent any time with slightly oily steel machinery).

Joint second place goes to Starzee for "Going to the birds" and JillyG for "Folded Book Art". Star's capture of the hordes of snow geese is that perfect combination of right place, right time, and (to go all Buddhist on you) right practice. Yes, you gotta be there, but you also gotta get the shot! Jilly's closeup of her folded book is beautifully simply in form yet full of interesting details like the precise folds and (yes, I read them) the fragments of sentences on the pages.

First goes to RoseCat for "Knotted". As I was scanning this week's entries, I fairly quickly narrowed the list to the four shown here, but at the start, I tentatively had Cat's rope trick in fourth place. As I cycled through the images over and over, though, this one steadily rose up the list until I finally decided it had to be #1. I love the neat herringbone pattern of the woven rope contrasting with the big curves of the knot, the sharpness of the near field contrasting with the blur fading into the background, the bright white and deep black accents, and the overall bright tone of the image. I wish I'd done that. :notworthy:

Wow... I must say (using one of my favorite acquired words) I am gobsmacked. I did not expect that... thank you so much Ted! :inlove: :notworthy: Congratulations to JillyG, Starzee Star and deepop David... I'm certainly in good company - beautiful images, all of them! :inlove:

Joint second place goes to Starzee for "Going to the birds" and JillyG for "Folded Book Art". Star's capture of the hordes of snow geese is that perfect combination of right place, right time, and (to go all Buddhist on you) right practice. Yes, you gotta be there, but you also gotta get the shot! Jilly's closeup of her folded book is beautifully simple in form yet full of interesting details like the precise folds and (yes, I read them) the fragments of sentences on the pages.

Love Catherine's photo - the subject is so serpentine and textured. Jilly also deserves a second award for Technical Merit as Artistic Beauty. And when I look at Star's photo I can hear the flapping of wings and the gabbling geese (I always love to see geese leave - around here they can be pests.). Thanks for the 3rd place.

Super job Ted. :thumbs: Congratulations to RoseCat Catherine and her wonderful knot - I bet it’s got a name, like Turk’s Head or Sheepshank or something. Well done to Starzee Star, deepop David and me.:D Great images, as always, from everyone in this week’s challenge. Right, I’m now off to get knotted in the Gallery with Catherine’s lovely image.

Back
Top Bottom