APPstract RESULT: APPstract #29 Theme: Experimentation

Love these two pieces. I aspire to this sort of work.
Oh, my! Did you ever not open the quote that someone is replying to? I did that yesterday when I read your post. I just now realized you were refering to my work....Thank you! Sometimes I’m such a dunce!

I just popped back to reply to this post with some tutorials of our own. I watched every one when I first stumbled on this wonderful community. juryjone Jerry, ImageArt Ann and more have shared tutes right here in our App Tutorials thread.A wealth of techniques and inspiration.

Using an app I don’t usually use is proving kinda difficult for me. FotoDa mentioned an app I’d never heard of, Meld. Yeah, I bought it. Here’s my maiden voyage.
View attachment 154103

you got Meld to do something ???
maybe US and Au have different versions***. The UI does my head in. I see a couple of possible images (that i don't like) but no clue how to proceed. And a truckload of overlays *yawn* that i wouldn't know what to do with anyway :feet:

*** I’m sure thats the most likely explanation. That or Eddie’s come back for his couch.

I have an app called Glaze which I have never really played with ‘til now. This is just a boring street scene from the City of Wells...
View attachment 154106
Usual iPhone XS.

Thanks so much for contributing, Nick! And nice work with Glaze - it’s not the easiest app to manipulate, imo - and you've made that street shot look magical :thumbs: Bonus points for the splash of teal blue and the *et*:thumbs::thumbs:

you got Meld to do something ???
maybe US and Au have different versions***. The UI does my head in. I see a couple of possible images (that i don't like) but no clue how to proceed. And a truckload of overlays *yawn* that i wouldn't know what to do with anyway :feet:

*** I’m sure thats the most likely explanation. That or Eddie’s come back for his couch.
Nah, the choices for using other places for images is a little annoying. I just used my own. The blending options are limited and the adjustments aren’t anything different than you get in any layering app. I moved Eddie’s couch to the Mobilounge. Hopefully no one spills eggnog on it. ;)

Or styles you haven‘t tried yet. Something new for you is, I suppose, what I should have said. :rolleyes: Show us your Fire Painter creations and let us judge.:D

7BCA3516-DC8C-4FA7-8C93-1CA2A5B9EDD7.jpeg

my Snow White & Rose Red image through Fire Painter. Muted a bit with a Repix‘d layer and some judicious erasing & layering in SketchClub. Not doing what I wanted it to do :poutingcat:

There’s a lot of ”chat” and not enough “do” here imo.:mobibabe: Just get apping!

4AA4AC25-2EAD-4F88-B6F3-50DB91ACC18D.jpeg

Even though I venture into iColorama quite a lot, there are still some effects that I have never tried. In a magazine I saw an article about an artist and he does something similar to the above (only with a lot more artistic merit and skill) with his paintings of flowers. They seem to flow on the canvas. Anyway, I thought I’d try this using an app. I had difficulty finding one that would do what I want and this is the closest I could get. I masked out most of the image and left the bit where I wanted ”flow”. This is iColorama>Style>Auto2. I’m racking my brains trying to think of an app where it’s possible to do what I want.
Edit: It turns out the he is a she - Simone Webb, and what I thought were paintings are actually giclée prints - so photographs, edited after printing. Who knew?

Last edited:
and what about the whale? What’s the whale going to do now, with only a towel between it and more of those spacetime wossnames? :mobibabe:
The whale will be fine! Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect had only a towel while hitchhiking across the galaxy. Or maybe Goldie will sublet the goldfish bowl.
Sorry JillyG I’ll stop chatting now. :rolleyes:

In the Court of the Crimson Artist.

I used an app that I’ve had for a while - Defekt. It produces videos, so I used Video2Photo to pull out a frame. I used Watercolor Studio Pro for the treatment, and Squaready because the narrow dimensions of the iPhone bother me, but at the same time I didn’t want to crop it.

E21BED35-0986-43BE-A2D0-0E27AB5D54A6.jpeg

There’s a lot of ”chat” and not enough “do” here imo.:mobibabe: Just get apping!

View attachment 154133
Even though I venture into iColorama quite a lot, there are still some effects that I have never tried. In a magazine I saw an article about an artist and he does something similar to the above (only with a lot more artistic merit and skill) with his paintings of flowers. They seem to flow on the canvas. Anyway, I thought I’d try this using an app. I had difficulty finding one that would do what I want and this is the closest I could get. I masked out most of the image and left the bit where I wanted ”flow”. This is iColorama>Style>Auto2. I’m racking my brains trying to think of an app where it’s possible to do what I want.
Edit: It turns out the he is a she - Simone Webb, and what I thought were paintings are actually giclée prints - so photographs, edited after printing. Who knew?

that‘s beautiful, Jilly. And i love giclée (thanks for the spelling :thumbs:) and would love to try it (#296217 on my must-try list).
your flower does seem to flow on to the canvas (and you haven't done the photograph /print/ giclée thing:notworthy: )

looking closely, the only way i can think of even to try in SketchClub would be an everso light smudge followed by a delicately-applied layer of, gawd, maybe three different swirly circly squiggly brushes. Might be easier (and quicker) for me to learn iColorama :lmao:

The whale will be fine! Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect had only a towel while hitchhiking across the galaxy. Or maybe Goldie will sublet the goldfish bowl.
Sorry JillyG I’ll stop chatting now. :rolleyes:

Oh take no notice of Jilly, she‘s the judge, and her co-judge is flitting abut the globe again.

Besides, you should apologise to Jilly if you chat too much and do not enough in BW. This is APPstract, so you should apologise to me . . , except, er, I started it? :lol: Well anyway everyone knows that abstract art, er, maybe not. Everyone knows that chatting inspires abstract art. Yes, that‘s more like it. Chatting is inspirational. Just you watch,I’ll be right back with an inspired piece:mobibabe:

For me, a shrinking violet, I'm never sure what this thread is. Originally I thought it was 'abstract' or an abstract made with apps, but recently I'm seeing more and more, not sure what the word is, things that are more literal like Jilly's flower. So maybe, or maybe its only me, people are not sure what to post?

When you said “flow” I thought “run down the page” so I tried the Abstract>Swirl brush in iColorama.

BA549373-8158-43B3-BD90-9F5D5E43F9E0.jpeg

To make it look more like yours, I added Glass.

A441EB04-447B-414E-AF42-00315E88A3AD.jpeg

Then I tried Elasticam to push the pixels around.

E5F53C92-CFDE-4415-9397-4FD5329554A0.jpeg

I then went to Procreate, which I don’t use often, and tried Liquify.

9D9B23D0-A15D-4CEE-A69C-763BBCF2587F.jpeg

So then I decided to actually see what you were talking about, and went to Simone Webb’s gallery. I’m semi-convinced that’s she’s using a Smudge brush. Here are some long smudges and a little Magic Dust from Repix.

DC06DB16-690E-4A13-B2D9-5892289B5AB4.jpeg

I still haven’t been able to reproduce exactly what she does, but it may have to do with brush characteristics and selections.

Thanks so much for contributing, Nick! And nice work with Glaze - it’s not the easiest app to manipulate, imo - and you've made that street shot look magical :thumbs: Bonus points for the splash of teal blue and the *et*:thumbs::thumbs:
You are right when you say 'not the easiest app....'. I couldnt get it to save the pic, just kept getting an error message, so had to resort to taking a screen shot.

I then went to Procreate, which I don’t use often, and tried Liquify.

View attachment 154139

So then I decided to actually see what you were talking about, and went to Simone Webb’s gallery. I’m semi-convinced that’s she’s using a Smudge brush. Here are some long smudges and a little Magic Dust from Repix.

View attachment 154140

I still haven’t been able to reproduce exactly what she does, but it may have to do with brush characteristics and selections.
Oooh, thanks Jerry. That’s very useful. I’m also glad you’ve been inspired to play. :D

In the Court of the Crimson Artist.

I used an app that I’ve had for a while - Defekt. It produces videos, so I used Video2Photo to pull out a frame. I used Watercolor Studio Pro for the treatment, and Squaready because the narrow dimensions of the iPhone bother me, but at the same time I didn’t want to crop it.

View attachment 154135
Love it.

View attachment 154079

Welcome to Mobi APPstract !
12 Jan - 24 Jan (or thereabouts)

Rules:
1. Interpret the theme
2. Use apps
3. Tell us something about your image/edit

Please see MobiTog challenge rules here

Theme:
Experimentation:
Step outside your comfort zone (or your comfort apps)
and try something a bit different for you.
Dig out those old apps that you’d almost forgotten you had. Have fun!

Judges: JillyG Jilly & ImageArt Ann

This sounds like fun.

For me, a shrinking violet, I'm never sure what this thread is. Originally I thought it was 'abstract' or an abstract made with apps, but recently I'm seeing more and more, not sure what the word is, things that are more literal like Jilly's flower. So maybe, or maybe its only me, people are not sure what to post?

John, it was partly to broaden that troublesome definition that i called the thread ‘APP’- stract as opposed to ’Abstract’. I kept the rules simple^^^ for the same reason.

When you (and most photographers) use apps in, say, the BW challenge, you're usually looking to perfect some aspect of your representative image. In this kind of challenge, it's almost the opposite. Here you are invited to play with the transformative possibilities of your apps.

Looking at an image in BW, we might not immediately know what if any apps you‘ve used***. Here, the apps are front & centre (‘in your face’, if you like). It’s a different aesthetic AND, as with JillyG ‘s gorgeous flower image, it‘s an opportunity for us to learn more about what’s out there and what they can do.

[***Pause to plug our recent reminder drive: that‘s part of the reason we ask people to list the apps used and in the order you applied them].

^^^Rules: 1. Interpret the theme 2. Use apps 3. Tell us something about your image/edit

Finally, my careful explanation above is obviously redundant, because as you know, I know, and all the regs on MobiTog know, not only you can, but also sometimes you actually do, post perfectly wonderful APP-stracts that everyone falls about appreciating.

But, you know, there‘s nothing I wouldn’t do for MobiTog’s Shrinking-Violet-In-Residence :mobibabe:

Back
Top Bottom