My mother was a sailor
Short on self-esteem;
My father was a sous-chef, lord,
Whose life was gutting bream.

Mothers tell your children
Not to do what this one did,
To drown their lives in suds and grease
In the House of the Rising Squid.

EDIT: Forgot the technical stuff. Slow Shutter Cam with camera motion for the original shot, iColorama to smooth a bit and flare out the lower part, and then Graphite (Francis) which produced that ropy effect.

Last edited:
2 more days to post your Amazing APPstract Art! I will be closing this thread on 6/28, US east coast time. (I forgot if we’re doing Eastern Standard Time or Daylight Savings Time).

So get creating!

BABD1484-67C6-4754-AA39-02556BD1DE13.jpeg

:lol: terse I finally understood your comment on my comment on @sinnerjohn’s image :lol:

“A section of an old Dubble image from FotoDa folder (ie already multiple wrecks) enlarged ++ in BigPhoto, multiple passes through Pixlr Dapple & Silk plus various overlays, Repix for that grainy outlining brush and experimental passes through SnapSeed (Drama, HDR etc). Various blends in Union.”

Last edited:
I have been bouncing back and forth between FotoDa and Affinity stacks to create collages. I finally decided to use the same layers and combine in both, then in Procreate.

I like that FotoDa doesn’t stack the layers up edge to edge and allows you to switch blend modes. Affinity lets you switch something called the Stack mode and you can move each layer around and switch the order. Also you can remove image parts you don’t want, but as far as I can tell changing the blend mode on a particular has not effect on the image as a whole. Procreate, of course, it’s you making all the calls. I’d say that both FotoDa and Affinity stacks got results that l wouldn’t have. No matter how much fooling around I did.

FotoDa:
F595ED61-A708-4DD4-B87A-186D846BDC32.jpeg

Affinity:
4CA74B6D-A436-4BA1-BE76-750DDE5D6B28.jpeg

Procreate:
DCCDFF88-041E-41AC-84BA-9034816ACC1E.jpeg

but as far as I can tell changing the blend mode on a particular has not effect on the image as a whole
I haven't figured out how blend modes work in a stack either. Maybe there needs to be another layer -- other than the stack -- for blends to work? (Maybe I should read the manual.)

This thread is now
CLOSED!
Over to you, deepop David, at your leisure!

Find APPstract # 39
here!

Last edited:
As usual, there are a lot of great abstracts put up for this challenge. As informative as the artist’s workflow is to me, I have to say that the entry that I kept returning to is sinnerjohn ’s untitled framed beauty. It’s got great colors, a nice diagonal flow across the canvas, and a lovely uncluttered look.
03E1237A-580A-42ED-BB4A-65C6656848FC.jpeg

Second and third places may well be the result Covid-19 and too much sheltering in place.

Second spot goes to the Dali inspired The Product of A Fevered Mind , put up by our resident master of many trades, JillyG
30505BF9-F383-42BE-817C-A94C47006B35.jpeg

In third is @rizole’s Anxiety which speaks for itself,
6FA31769-3ADB-4B0E-ACAD-46E3CDEFFD35.jpeg

Thank you, David. All three of these should’ve been in the MDAC afaic :notworthy:
Congrats sinnerjohn John, gorgeous image. Congrats, Jilly & rizole — I just noticed, that makes two ‘fevered mind’ images! :lmao:

I'm trying to ignore the irony here RoseCat ;)

Many thanks David deepop, I'm slightly taken aback and very much honoured that you chose my more photographic abstract. It's the only kind I know, so thank you :notworthy:

Bet its the first time a fake polaroid has ever won this particular challenge :)
Well done JillyG for 2nd and rizole for 3rd.

Does this mean I pick the new challenge theme? Can an abstract have a theme? Hmmm :sneaky:

Back
Top Bottom