MobiColour RESULT: MC #111 Theme: Texture - March 12-18, 2018

Tiger Swallowtail close-up.
98A4B799-7D05-4BBC-B362-9E436CA4CC25.jpeg

I’m guessing Trimaginator was involved in this. iPhone 6

We do, if (and only if) we fight off the birds and squirrels, who will take all the fruit from the tree otherwise. An all around net is the only thing that's ever worked (and it had to be cinched in and tied at the bottom, not just draped).

One year I had a great arrangement with the birds - they could have the top half of 5he pomegranate tree and we’d have the bottom. Worked a treat, and I draped a net lightly around the bottom half . The following year they weren’t interested in any dealing, they had the lot. Well, I salvaged about a dozen. Bloody birds.

View attachment 107069

Window sill
Lightroom, Snapseed
Great example of what I think is a difficult theme to get right. Texture - ' the feel, appearance, or consistency of a surface or a substance' kind of implies a close up, which is hard to get in colour unless you go the nature way. But then interesting that Jilly has gone for a 'cityscape' that also works. Maybe I'm just not clever enough for this game :lol:

Great example of what I think is a difficult theme to get right. Texture - ' the feel, appearance, or consistency of a surface or a substance' kind of implies a close up, which is hard to get in colour unless you go the nature way. But then interesting that Jilly has gone for a 'cityscape' that also works. Maybe I'm just not clever enough for this game :lol:
:rolleyes: You say that and then you’ll come flying in with the winner!

Maybe distance from a subject comes in to it. The texture of a field of wheat is missed close up and I wish I had a drone so I could start taking high up, top down landscapes.

Maybe distance from a subject comes in to it. The texture of a field of wheat is missed close up and I wish I had a drone so I could start taking high up, top down landscapes.
That would make some great images but I'd say they would be landscapes not texture. Unless we are saying anything has texture? Which I guess is true :confused:

Last edited:
That would make some great images but I'd say they would be landscapes not texture. Unless we are saying anything has texture? Which I guess is true :confused:
I was thinking more on a fractal scale so different textures resolve at different scales. I like that video by Bjork. I like how the video artist blurs the distinction between close up and far away so you're not always sure at what scale you're viewing the images at:
And google earth turns up some great textures and abstracts.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=goodle+ea.../wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Earth_View_36.jpg

Perhaps it’s a function of scale. At a certain point aerial images often exhibit a distinct sense of texture that you don’t see at other distances. And isn’t the same thing true in close-ups. There’s just a certain scale at which a particular level of detail predominates. I think pattern appears at a different scale. Of course it’s all relative to the size of the texture or pattern.

I’ve tried every which way and I can’t observe the interaction between screen pixels and image pixels that you describe.
Maybe it's a function of screen to image pixel ratio. I tried it on a tablet and the phenomena is barely perceptible. I also tried videoing it happening on my phone's screen and that didn't really work either. Maybe it's something else.
I have a Samsung S6 with an AMOLED screen and a density of 577ppi.

Maybe it's a function of screen to image pixel ratio. I tried it on a tablet and the phenomena is barely perceptible. I also tried videoing it happening on my phone's screen and that didn't really work either. Maybe it's something else.
I have a Samsung S6 with an AMOLED screen and a density of 577ppi.
I see it quite distinctly on the 13" screen of my laptop.

An all around net is the only thing that's ever worked (and it had to be cinched in and tied at the bottom, not just draped).
I used a net once on my blueberry bush.... until a little bird got stuck in it... very scary and that was the end of that net. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom