MobiColour RESULT: MC #114 Theme: Tchotchkes - April 2-8, 2018

BA7020DE-245B-4E46-9E11-9A55553C4B33.jpeg

Door guardians
Photos

Topo Gigio
IMG_9001.JPG

Topo Gigio was a puppet star of Spanish & Italian TV in the early 1960s and occasionally appeared on the Ed Sullivan show on North American TV, which is where I first saw him. The small figurine above is from a keychain I bought, probably in the late 60s, and has sat for countless years in a small drawer where a few other small things languish as they become history.
The background pattern is on my iPad. Using the tele lens on iPhone 7 Plus and a closeup lens to get things in focus.

Acadie -Le quinze aout des fous.
IMG_8999.JPG

A one-of-a-kind souvenir/art piece made by a local artist, sort of a miniature version of some of her work, made to appeal to people attending the big Acadian festival held in August - with the 15th being the central day. That’s the Acadian flag she is waving, and wearing Acadian colours. It’s common for festival goers to dress up in wild costumes.

Topo Gigio
View attachment 107934
Topo Gigio was a puppet star of Spanish & Italian TV in the early 1960s and occasionally appeared on the Ed Sullivan show on North American TV, which is where I first saw him. The small figurine above is from a keychain I bought, probably in the late 60s, and has sat for countless years in a small drawer where a few other small things languish as they become history.
The background pattern is on my iPad. Using the tele lens on iPhone 7 Plus and a closeup lens to get things in focus.
TOPO GIGIO!!!!!! :eek: :inlove: I forgot all about him. OMG this brings me back to when I was about 5 and watched the Ed Sullivan show.... and Sherry and Lambchop!

Topo Gigio
View attachment 107934

TOPO GIGIO!!!!!! :eek: :inlove: I forgot all about him. OMG this brings me back to when I was about 5 and watched the Ed Sullivan show.... and Sherry and Lambchop!

Yes, your Topo Gigio brought back memories of Sunday evenings when I was little. I loved TG. And Catherine, any Lamb Chop fan would know that it was SHARI Lewis (and Lamb Chop is two words). *tut*:mobibabe:.

Told my mate about this week's theme and she pulled these beauties out for me.
View attachment 107967
The small animal figurines at the left remind me of the ones that used to come free in boxes of Red Rose tea many years ago. People began to get serious about collecting them to have every one in the series. Some people would advertise looking to trade or buy the ones missing from their collections.

I’m wondering what the difference is between modern tchotchke souvenirs and the once prized collectibles. At what point does valuable collectible become tchotchke?

Last edited:
The small animal figurines at the left remind me of the ones that used to come free in boxes of Red Rose tea many years ago. People began to get serious about collecting them to have every one in the series. Some people would advertise looking to trade or buy the ones missing from their collections.

I’m wondering what the difference is between modern tchotchke souvenirs and the once prized collectibles. At what point does valuable collectible become tchotchke?
It's interesting to see vintage tchotchke become valuable collectables too. A vintage monkey vase. No edit.
20180405_101605.jpg

To me, they're all tchotchke from the start. I think the term *valuable* is subjective. How are any of these items really valuable? They're made of simple, inexpensive materials (clay, fabric, wood, metal, etc). Re the Red Rose tea collectibles, it was a good marketing ploy to get people to buy the tea, but the actual "prizes" were not valuable other than to the person collecting them - I'm quite sure Red Rose got them super cheap, otherwise they wouldn't be giving them away for free. So it was in the buyer's mind that they were valuable, and that they must have all of them.

Unless you have items, say, covered in diamonds, or an original painting/sculpture/whatever by a famous artist - but even this is subjective - who's to say that artist is *famous* or their work *valuable*?? Or antiques in a shop being sold at ridiculous prices, because they are *valuable*... says who?? I see mixing bowls in antique stores just like ones that my grandma used every day and were once considered just regular useful items, that are being sold for a ridiculous amount of money now ($100 and up, for a BOWL). Would I love to have one of my grandmother's mixing bowls? Yes. Because the antique store says they're valuable? No, because it was something my grandma used every day for her cooking and baking, so it has sentimental value to me, and I'd think of that every time I used it. The value really comes from the heart. I think WE put the value (whether real or imagined) on the items, or sometimes let other people tell us they are valuable. That's why I don't have very many tchotchke any more - I got rid of anything that didn't have some type of sentimental value to me, gave me joy, or was useful (all three combined = jackpot!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom