MobiColour RESULT: MC #114 Theme: Tchotchkes - April 2-8, 2018

That is exactly me and my mom. She was upset, hurt and mad when I didn’t want her furniture, etc. after she was gone. Lots of the stuff actually has sentimental meaning to me, but it’s just TOO MUCH STUFF. I have no room, no use for most of it. I tried to make her understand, but I’m not sure she does.

We’ve got a popular tv programme called Flog It! It’s where ordinary members of the public bring their antiques and collectables to some large venue to find out how much their granny’s cracked vase, or great grandad’s picture of the Scottish highlands is worth. The amount of people who say they’re getting rid of stuff because their children won’t want it after they’re gone make up about 90%. I suppose your mum just wants to know that it’ll be cherished after she’s gone as much as she cherishes it now. You could lie to make her feel better.:sneaky:

It was a VW van. The driver's seat was still clear (and it was in a 2 hour parking zone, so it hadn't been there long). The windows in the rest of the van were covered with shades, so I don't know if that was crammed full also or not, though I suspect it was. Housing is expensive and scarce here in Santa Cruz, and I've seen other cars packed up with possessions of people either living in their cars or sleeping on couches, but I'd never seen a random jumble like this one before.

Yes it's amazing, and art somehow. Really, if a museum would buy it it might solve his problem. But living in their cars is what actually surprises me with the fact that I only know it from the US. In Germany it wouldn't be possible because it's forbidden to camp in your car, especially outside the camping ground. Maybe they would have mercy for a night if it's a camping van, but you are better not caught. Interesting. [emoji848]

We’ve got a popular tv programme called Flog It! It’s where ordinary members of the public bring their antiques and collectables to some large venue to find out how much their granny’s cracked vase, or great grandad’s picture of the Scottish highlands is worth. The amount of people who say they’re getting rid of stuff because their children won’t want it after they’re gone make up about 90%. I suppose your mum just wants to know that it’ll be cherished after she’s gone as much as she cherishes it now. You could lie to make her feel better.:sneaky:

I did accept a bunch of stuff from my mother, and most of it has some meaning to me too. The family photos going back 3 generations I have to keep. But it is a struggle figuring out what to do with some of it. No big furniture, though. No room for it.
Say, while we’re at it, does anyone collect those collector plates? I seem to have a few in a box. You know, Norman Rockwell scenes, and birds, etc. With certificates of authenticity and everything.

C3FB728C-B0AB-4970-A0E5-842BF0DBE899.jpeg

This is more the type of thing I collect. A root, about 12" long, probably from a Western Red Cedar, found at the Pacific Ocean shore near North Vancouver in 1971. Back home, on the east side of the country, I smoothed it out a bit and gave it a coat of verithane to bring out the natural colour.

I suppose your mum just wants to know that it’ll be cherished after she’s gone as much as she cherishes it now. You could lie to make her feel better.:sneaky:
Yes, that’s the reason, for sure. :( I never thought of lying.... plus, she’s also tried to give away stuff while she’s still here, so I had no choice but to nip it in the bud. I told her that all these things had a wonderful life in our family, and they will bring joy to another family and hopefully become their cherished pieces.

We’ve got a popular tv programme called Flog It!
Interesting title for the show.... What is flogging?? :confused: I guess it must mean something to do with the theme of the show?

Last edited:
Say, while we’re at it, does anyone collect those collector plates?
I’ve never liked those things... I don’t like how they look hanging on walls, and besides, they’re PLATES.... one is supposed to use them to eat off of. :rolleyes: I don’t know who originally decided “Hey! Let’s not eat our food on them, but hang them on a wall!!” o_O

View attachment 108051
This is more the type of thing I collect. A root, about 12" long, probably from a Western Red Cedar, found at the Pacific Ocean shore near North Vancouver in 1971. Back home, on the east side of the country, I smoothed it out a bit and gave it a coat of verithane to bring out the natural colour.
That’s amazingly lifelike! Beautiful. My grandparents collected stuff like this on their beach walks... Sometimes grandpa would add marbles for eyes, etc. I see it as natural art pieces. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Ven’s Trotskychkes Stuff... :rog:

Bonus Emojis to whoever identifies the star-shaped (ish) like object on the left... :D

Just a few personal favourite trinkets... :zip:

View attachment 108004
How did I miss this?? I'd say these are barely fitting into the tchotchkes category, as everything looks very useful (and green, of course ;) ) Very "Venomator" :inlove: .... love the composition too. No idea what that star thing is... did anyone guess it?

This was a tough one... there were so many interesting and unique things this week, it made it difficult to choose.

Coming in at a razor close Second Place is GroovyGouvy - her photo of the bears is kind of the epitome of "tchotchke" to me - classic and a bit quirky.

gouvy.JPG

First Place award goes to sinnerjohn!! His collection is quite unique, all different, and yet they work together as a group. I love that there is a dedicated area to this menagerie - I appreciate the Commitment to the Tchotchkes. :D I couldn't decide which image I liked the best, so I put them all together.... it felt like the right thing to do. ;)

thumb_IMG_0590_1024.jpg

Honorable Mentions to:

FundyBrian - I mean, it's TOPO.
brian.JPG

rizole - What's better than dancing Elvis in a library?
rizole.jpeg

terse Ted - Gotta love a sarcastic crow. Just sayin'.
ted.jpeg

JillyG - I can't look at this Jazz Hands Chicken without thinking of it singing "All That Jazz". LOL!
jilly.jpeg

What a fun and quirky week this was! :D

This was a tough one... there were so many interesting and unique things this week, it made it difficult to choose.

Coming in at a razor close Second Place is GroovyGouvy - her photo of the bears is kind of the epitome of "tchotchke" to me - classic and a bit quirky.

View attachment 108061

First Place award goes to sinnerjohn!! His collection is quite unique, all different, and yet they work together as a group. I love that there is a dedicated area to this menagerie - I appreciate the Commitment to the Tchotchkes. :D I couldn't decide which image I liked the best, so I put them all together.... it felt like the right thing to do. ;)

View attachment 108062
Honorable Mentions to:

View attachment 108063

View attachment 108066

View attachment 108068

JillyG - I can't look at this Jazz Hands Chicken without thinking of it singing "All That Jazz". LOL!
View attachment 108070

The raven and I thank you for the HM. Congrats to sinnerjohn and his tchotch-cat!

But living in their cars is what actually surprises me with the fact that I only know it from the US. In Germany it wouldn't be possible because it's forbidden to camp in your car, especially outside the camping ground.
It's a muddled area in Santa Cruz. They do need to keep moving and stick mostly to the light industrial areas rather than residential ones. I don't know if there's an actual ordinance about living in your car or whether it's just parking and nuisance laws that come into play. It's not just cars and vans, either -- there are a number of large RVs (motorhomes) also, which helps to blur the lines.

There's a recent book titled Nomadland by Jessica Bruder about a growing group of people who have lost, sold, or never owned homes and instead live in RVs, moving around the country between campgrounds and parking lots, many of them taking temporary work in places as they do. According to the book, quite a number work for Amazon as pickers and packers in the regional warehouses (10 hours a day walking miles on cement floors:eek:). Amazon even identifies them as a group and advertizes for them. Many are seniors/retired. Some are down and out, and some find it freeing.

The green octostar looks like it could be a phone holder/adapter for some sort of panorama head.

No idea. It looks a bit like a pocket knife sharpener I have, but the groove with the double-headed arrow and the + sign has me foxed.

How did I miss this?? I'd say these are barely fitting into the tchotchkes category, as everything looks very useful (and green, of course ;) ) Very "Venomator" :inlove: .... love the composition too. No idea what that star thing is... did anyone guess it?
Nope, nope & nope... :barf:

The Green star shaped thingy is a Wera screwdriver Magnetiser/Demagnetiser - great for picking up/holding & guiding especially little electronics screws (other screwdrivers are available, but not all others are Green... :rog: )... :D

And who says a trinket cannot be useful... :whistle:

Congratulations everyone what partook and those who RoseCat has mentioned in dispatches... :notworthy:

View attachment 108061

View attachment 108062
Honorable Mentions to:

View attachment 108063

View attachment 108066

View attachment 108068

View attachment 108070

Thank you very much for my second, RoseCat! [emoji50] I'm very surprised and would have bet if one makes it to the top steps it might be the accident. [emoji23]
So many cool pictures this week. [emoji177]Though maybe not as many as (I) expected. [emoji1]
Congratulations, sinnerjohn! Like the different things in corner, too. [emoji106][emoji177]
And many others of this week's collage. Thanks to all posters for sharing. [emoji106][emoji177]

I'm blown away Catherine. I think there were far better images than mine posted, but hey you are the judge, so thank you, thank you, thank you for liking mine :notworthy:
Great images from everyone else :thumbs:
You’re welcome! I chose not just for photo quality, but fitting the theme. You had a whole dedicated tchotchke area.... :D :thumbs:

moving around the country between campgrounds and parking lots, many of them taking temporary work in places as they do.
This is something I’ve always wanted to do, and it’s still high up on my list. I’m thinking I might do it before getting the tiny house on wheels, as it would be much easier getting around in a van. I’m following a few people on IG who custom designed a van and they’re fantastic.

This is something I’ve always wanted to do, and it’s still high up on my list. I’m thinking I might do it before getting the tiny house on wheels, as it would be much easier getting around in a van. I’m following a few people on IG who custom designed a van and they’re fantastic.
You'd probably like Nomadland -- check your library. It's clear from the book that quite a few people enjoy the life.

I’ve been looking at the Ford Transit Courier for this purpose. It is the smallest of any I have see. In Moncton the Post Office uses them for local pick-up and delivery of mail. It is built on the Ford Focus chassis so it is more like a car with a tall roof than a van. It comes in different models, the delivery models have no windows in the back but there are others with windows all around and even some built originally as campers.

Back
Top Bottom