MobiColour RESULT: MC #120 Theme: Tools of the Trade - May 14-20

After uni I did a secretarial course and thank goodness because I struggled to get a job but I managed to get one as a secretary which was a fantastic foundation for everything I did later. I learnt on a manual typewriter.

Portrait Mode

IMG_7387.jpg

I don't know how many people remember the old time local phone operators. And would you believe, when I first moved to Waterside years ago they still had party lines in the rural phone system. You could expect some nosy person to pick up a phone during your calls, and find the phone busy forever when you wanted to make a call. This was 1979! Fortunately the phones were upgraded to private lines the following year. It still sounded like very long distance to make local calls.

I remember. When I moved from the village (private line) to the country (party line) I was quite indignant when I found someone chatting on MY line! I had no idea party lines still existed. And yes, that was 1979.

So were you a type setter/printer?
I worked as a proofreader for a typesetter for a time. Then I worked as a freelance tech writer and ended up doing a lot of layout and formatting (and proofreading again) along with it to produce the camera-ready copy. I actually enjoyed learning the conventions and the ins-and-outs of typefaces, etc., but the proofing and final formatting was tedious and sometimes maddening. ("Can you just make this tiny change?" And then I'd watch as the change rippled through the rest of the document, destroying page breaks and illustration positioning as it went. :eek::lmao:)

I don't know how many people remember the old time local phone operators. And would you believe, when I first moved to Waterside years ago they still had party lines in the rural phone system. You could expect some nosy person to pick up a phone during your calls, and find the phone busy forever when you wanted to make a call. This was 1979! Fortunately the phones were upgraded to private lines the following year. It still sounded like very long distance to make local calls.
I think we had a party line for awhile in the '70s.... I'll have to ask my mom because I'm not quite sure. But I seem to remember when it was busy and you wanted to make a call.

I won't say it didn't.:zip:
I could never be a graphic artist for clients where I'm constantly making changes for them.... I've been on the other end at my job, where my boss is constantly having the artist tweak this and change that (having no clue what goes into making those changes), and I've created some invitations, etc. at work and have had to make changes that he thinks are simple... I'm always screaming in my head:
IT LOOKS FINE THE WAY IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Oh I love these. Look at those two ladies sitting on the verandah by the beach - how many women who used these would have a view like that when they were sewing. :lol:
It took me a while before I realized the woman on the right was holding the needle book in her hand. At first I though it was a large pastry she was about to bite into. :lmao:

People who sew have all the best stuff.

It took me a while before I realized the woman on the right was holding the needle book in her hand. At first I though it was a large pastry she was about to bite into. :lmao:

People who sew have all the best stuff.
:lmao: Yes, I thought it was a massive doorstep sandwich when I first looked (do you have that - doorstep sandwich?).

I could never be a graphic artist for clients where I'm constantly making changes for them.... I've been on the other end at my job, where my boss is constantly having the artist tweak this and change that (having no clue what goes into making those changes), and I've created some invitations, etc. at work and have had to make changes that he thinks are simple... I'm always screaming in my head:

After a while you just accept that as normal and it doesn’t bug you at all. It’s just part of the process.

I am that graphic artist sometimes and sometimes that web developer or printshop. I read clientsfromhell.net to relax.

Back
Top Bottom