MobiColour RESULT: MC #122 Theme: Fauna & Flora - May 28-June 3, 2018

Dinosaur on the boardwalk. Snapseed.

For whatever reason I have discovered that I can get close to little creatures if I use my iphone as a shield. I put my phone at arm’s length, trying to hide my face. Once I myself am shielded by the iphone I can get even closer. It astonishes me how close I am actually able to get. I don’t know whether the reflective surface of the silver iphone fascinates the creatures or not but they don’t seem to be scared of it. This applies to insects as well.

View attachment 109998
S/he is so cute!!!

Dinosaur on the boardwalk. Snapseed.

For whatever reason I have discovered that I can get close to little creatures if I use my iphone as a shield. I put my phone at arm’s length, trying to hide my face. Once I myself am shielded by the iphone I can get even closer. It astonishes me how close I am actually able to get. I don’t know whether the reflective surface of the silver iphone fascinates the creatures or not but they don’t seem to be scared of it. This applies to insects as well.

View attachment 109998
I remember reading/hearing somewhere that insects compound eyes detect movement across their field of vision better than movement towards/away from them so moving directly in on them with your camera slowly is less likely to be seen as something to be afraid of. Seems to work on spiders for me too.

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that insects compound eyes detect movement across their field of vision better than movement towards/away from them so moving directly in on them with your camera slowly is less likely to be seen as something to be afraid of. Seems to work on spiders for me too.
That makes sense and I suppose a phone is a much smaller surface than a whole face with a body behind it.

Cotton grass. Eriophorum Angustifolium.
20180528_204828-01.jpeg

Snapseed.

only if the spiders are not”athletic”

Back
Top Bottom