MobiColour RESULT: MC #149 No Theme - Dec 3-9, 2018

View attachment 117846
Return of the geese...
DistressedFX & Snapseed

I started my daily morning walk routine last January-ish. I was loving all the geese flying overhead and their loud, raucous morning conversations on the lake. Then, one morning in March or April, they were gone. Just like that. Literally overnight. The morning before there were hundreds on the lake, and they seemed especially loud (now I believe they were excitedly discussing the eminent departure and journey). The next morning, not a goose in sight. My walk past the lake was silent. It was a bit shocking, and after a few days when I realized they weren’t coming back, I felt sad. Over the spring and summer I’d see just a handful now and then.

But then.... Autumn came, and suddenly around October, I began seeing the flocks flying in - I’d hear them first, and the sound literally lifted my heart. Little by little the lake has filled up, and my morning walks are once again accompanied by geese flying overhead, and loud animated conversations on the lake. Life is good. :inlove:
Good story to go with :smileycat:

House/ Sony Xperia Photo Editor
42742615_2142080186113151_6836994959162212352_n.jpg

View attachment 117846
Return of the geese...
DistressedFX & Snapseed

I started my daily morning walk routine last January-ish. I was loving all the geese flying overhead and their loud, raucous morning conversations on the lake. Then, one morning in March or April, they were gone. Just like that. Literally overnight. The morning before there were hundreds on the lake, and they seemed especially loud (now I believe they were excitedly discussing the eminent departure and journey). The next morning, not a goose in sight. My walk past the lake was silent. It was a bit shocking, and after a few days when I realized they weren’t coming back, I felt sad. Over the spring and summer I’d see just a handful now and then.

But then.... Autumn came, and suddenly around October, I began seeing the flocks flying in - I’d hear them first, and the sound literally lifted my heart. Little by little the lake has filled up, and my morning walks are once again accompanied by geese flying overhead, and loud animated conversations on the lake. Life is good. :inlove:
Love the narration quite poignant. Its also given me an idea for a future challenge :sneaky:

View attachment 117846
Return of the geese...
DistressedFX & Snapseed

Lovely edit on this Catherine. :inlove: It’s lovely that they’ve returned - something that they’ve been doing for years.

Googling I found this “Certain eucalyptus species develop scribble marks on their smooth bark. These marks are not human-made, but are caused by insect larvae that feed on the surface layer, thereby leaving a trail that may appear scribbled.”
In leaves it would be leaf miners and on bark it would be bark beetles tunneling through the soft inner bark.

Lovely edit on this Catherine. :inlove: It’s lovely that they’ve returned - something that they’ve been doing for years.
Yes...and I would never know or be a part of this ritual had I not started my morning walk routine. Nature is awe inspiring. :inlove: I know geese “fly south for the winter”, but I always thought of it as one’s *own* geese leaving in the winter, but I’m the lucky recipient of the far north geese coming to this little lake to “warm up”. :)

View attachment 117846
Return of the geese...
DistressedFX & Snapseed

Do the geese stay there all winter? I had imagined the geese flew farther south than that. In the fall we see the geese arriving from farther north and after a few days they continue south.

Do the geese stay there all winter? I had imagined the geese flew farther south than that. In the fall we see the geese arriving from farther north and after a few days they continue south.
Yes, they were on the lake until March/April, and then one day were gone.

Back
Top Bottom