MobiColour RESULT: MC #157 Theme: Forgotten Objects - Jan 28-Feb 3, 2019

6FCE383A-C866-47E7-8A02-F0FE3D38DBFD.jpeg

The horror of being forgotten
ACDSee Pro, Snapseed

Gone but not

E2362C00-8999-474B-8ABD-7928CBB65010.jpeg

Our gorgeous Epiphyllum oxypetalum (Queen of the Night) bloomed last night. Only once a year, and you have to be alert. The buds form over a week or so: by the last day you’re hopping from one foot to another waiting for the flower and hoping you don’t miss it. Then suddenly it’s open! And that fragrance on the warm night air . . . Over four hours they open right up, bloom all night in the moonlight — then, by morning, the amazingly vibrant exuberant show is over for another year.

This image taken at 6am. Processed later in SnapSeed.

Below I’ll post the images from 630pm, 830pm and 1030pm. It’s a wild, messy plant and impossible to get the whole !!!TWELVE!!! blooms we had in one basket. But you get the idea. And here’s a time lapse video (not mine).

Gone but not

View attachment 119979

Our gorgeous Epiphyllum oxypetalum (Queen of the Night) bloomed last night. Only once a year, and you have to be alert. The buds form over a week or so: by the last day you’re hopping from one foot to another waiting for the flower and hoping you don’t miss it. Then suddenly it’s open! And that fragrance on the warm night air . . . Over four hours they open right up, bloom all night in the moonlight — then, by morning, the amazingly vibrant exuberant show is over for another year.

Below I’ll post the images from 630pm, 830pm and 1030pm. It’s a wild, messy plant and impossible to get the whole !!!TWELVE!!! blooms we had in one basket. But you get the idea. And here’s a time lapse video (not mine).
Fabulous! So basically you go sleepless for a week so you don't miss it?

Gone but not

View attachment 119979

Awww, beautiful!

Fabulous! So basically you go sleepless for a week so you don't miss it?

That’s the general idea. Or, if you have a partner, you sleep in shifts. Some suburbs still observe the ancient ritual of the Community Welcoming of the Queen over three days and three nights of feasting, dancing and the like. The more affluent suburbs put a stop to it in their own shires after complaints about the jousting and unacceptable quantities of horse manure.

Back
Top Bottom