MobiColour RESULT: MC #177 Theme: Natural Numbers/Digits - June 17-23, 2019

ELEVEN THOUSAND, ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN, Sony Xperia
IMG_20190620_211840.jpg

The prices alone belong in a museum. (We're running about $4/gallon here right now.) The pump is a work of art. :thumbs:

How many litres in a gallon? How many pints? Why is USA still using imperial for measurement?

I used to ‘know’ eight pints = one gallon. One pint = 600 mls so a gallon is 4800mls or 4.8 litres. But I think you Americans did something with the conversion system :mobibabe:

Petrol here fluctuates between approx Au1.34-1.65/litre

How many litres in a gallon? How many pints? Why is USA still using imperial for measurement?

I used to ‘know’ eight pints = one gallon. One pint = 600 mls so a gallon is 4800mls or 4.8 litres. But I think you Americans did something with the conversion system :mobibabe:

A liter is a bit more than a quart. 4 quarts to the gallon; 3.78 liters to the gallon (more or less:D). Or so google tells me.

Why is USA still using imperial for measurement?
It's hard to quit imperialism once you get a taste for it.

One, unity, oneness, at one - with all there is.
5858D10C-04ED-44DE-8F6A-C9AA4C955D38.jpeg

That is very much the feeling I get sitting by the ocean. Being at the edge of the land and beginning of the water world, and where the sky meets the earth’s surface. Sky into space. Basic elements, plus the passing of time, day into night. Being alone with everything, and with all the other people who have ever sat by the sea throughout time looking at the sky, looking into infinity, and feeling a part of the great oneness. Feeling awe at the sheer magnitude of it all.

Moment app RAW DNG, wireless remote, plus a polarizer to help start the darkening of the sky. Affinity to further assist in making the transition form day to night sky. Alien sky for the stars and galaxy layers.

“Oooooohh.” One. Digit. One slightly sore but healing digit. Thankful to still have all of my finger.
7E19B192-B7FF-4BFE-993C-868DF8BF00CE.jpeg

Some of you already know about the finger vs router incident mentioned in my Explorations thread. Three weeks on it isn’t quite as gruesome to show. It looks the same on the other side and finger tip, too. Taking some air, out of bandages this afternoon. It is well enough I can once again play the flute. (That’s the Native American style flute). I’ve been able to avoid any infections thanks to the antibiotic ointment they gave me at the clinic. My finger still feels a bit tight from the swelling but getting better.

This is the apple branch flute I was starting to make the day of said router incident. I’ve been able to work on it some more lately. Still not finished but soundholes all drilled and tuned. Played a little while sitting by the waves. Out on the water there was a raft of eider ducks who occasionally echoed back some of my notes. Probably checking to see if I was in tune. I wonder if they know about the 440Hz reference for A.
(If you don’t know what a router is I’ll start by saying it isn’t the wifi type. It is a woodworking power tool with a carbide cutter about 3/4” wide turning at 25,000 rpm, it chews up wood at an impressive rate and you’re not supposed to get your fingers in it.)

Fabi made this picture for me with some coaching to get the horizon straight and get in close enough, etc. This is uncropped. Moment Cam RAW, 2x lens. Darkroom app.

Last edited:
“Oooooohh.” One. Digit. One slightly sore but healing digit. Thankful to still have all of my finger.
View attachment 146493
Some of you already know about the finger vs router incident mentioned in my Explorations thread. Three weeks on it isn’t quite as gruesome to show. It looks the same on the other side and finger tip, too. Taking some air, out of bandages this afternoon. It is well enough I can once again play the flute. (That’s the Native American style flute). I’ve been able to avoid any infections thanks to the antibiotic ointment they gave me at the clinic. My finger still feels a bit tight from the swelling but getting better.

This is the apple branch flute I was starting to make the day of said router incident. I’ve been able to work on it some more lately. Still not finished but soundholes all drilled and tuned. Played a little while sitting by the waves. Out on the water there was a raft of eider ducks who occasionally echoed back some of my notes. Probably checking to see if I was in tune. I wonder if they know about the 440Hz reference for A.
(If you don’t know what a router is I’ll start by saying it isn’t the wifi type. It is a woodworking power tool with a carbide cutter about 3/4” wide turning at 25,000 rpm, it chews up wood at an impressive rate and you’re not supposed to get your fingers in it.)

Fabi made this picture for me with some coaching to get the horizon straight and get in close enough, etc. This is uncropped. Moment Cam RAW, 2x lens. Darkroom app.

So pleased you still have all of your fingers to play the flute. Looks like you got off relatively lightly?
Can you post [a link to] an audio file of your playing? I feel like we have some kind of proprietary interest, having followed the story of branch, router, finger thus far.

And did you carve that gorgeous little duck?.?

View attachment 146492
That is very much the feeling I get sitting by the ocean. Being at the edge of the land and beginning of the water world, and where the sky meets the earth’s surface. Sky into space. Basic elements, plus the passing of time, day into night. Being alone with everything, and with all the other people who have ever sat by the sea throughout time looking at the sky, looking into infinity, and feeling a part of the great oneness. Feeling awe at the sheer magnitude of it all.

Moment app RAW DNG, wireless remote, plus a polarizer to help start the darkening of the sky. Affinity to further assist in making the transition form day to night sky. Alien sky for the stars and galaxy layers.
Beautiful

With the new carbon tax gas went up to around $1.35/litre here in Atlantic Canada. It wasn’t a popular move. Now it seems to be down around $1.19, quite similar to before the new tax, but we don’t know why. Something about not discouraging tourism travel. The plan is to move everyone towards electric cars to meet our greenhouse gas reduction targets. Except electric cars are still quite expensive. The next thing is that in areas where a lot of electric power generation is from oil powered generators we would be no further ahead. On top of that, every transfer or conversion of power incurs losses. For instance, energy is wasted converting oil into electricity, energy is lost when transmitting electricity over wires, energy is lost in converting 110 or 220 VAC to DC for charging batteries, etc. So there is a hidden waste stream that greatly reduces the actual value gained from electric cars. We are back to “there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch”.

So pleased you still have all of your fingers to play the flute. Looks like you got off relatively lightly?
Can you post [a link to] an audio file of your playing? I feel like we have some kind of proprietary interest, having followed the story of branch, router, finger thus far.

And did you carve that gorgeous little duck?.?
Yes, you’re right. From that angle my finger looks not too bad. It still doesn’t bend very well.
I’m working on the audio file aspect. The waves came out too harsh sounding with the native camera app & iPhone mic. The video I recorded with Flimic Pro and my Shure MV88 stereo mic failed to show up in my list of videos. Don’t know what happened to it. I tried 3 times. Still in development.
Yes, I carved the bird totem although from a different angle it doesn’t look like a duck, more like a legless sparrow. I’ll post a side view. My next one will be a Raven. Usually these totems are more symbolic than detailed.

View attachment 146492

Gorgeous!!

View attachment 146493

Wow.... that is one impressive injury. :eek: Glad it’s healing well. Your flute is beautiful!! Did you also carve the bird? :notworthy:

Back
Top Bottom