MobiColour RESULT: MC #178 Theme: No Theme - June 24-30, 2019

IMG_20190626_072153-01.jpeg

Baron Burton
going back to my roots - some texture in snapseed

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Nice work - and steady hand? Did you use a tripod?
Not with Spectre. It and the iPhone XS do all the work without a tripod. If I use Slow Shutter Cam, I do need a tripod. (I originally tried Spectre on my iPhone 7, and the results showed lots of shake. That all went away when I got the XS, so I gather that Spectre is hooking into something the XS has and the 7 doesn't. I have no idea whether slightly older models like the 8 Plus and the X get good results or not.)

2:1. Slightly dried out apple.
View attachment 146685
I thought it was interesting to see 2 of the seeds have sprouted. The 2:1 just refers to 2 seeds on one side and one on the other.
Photographed with Camera Pixels and the 2x lens with a +10 diopter added. It certainly provides better detail than my old +10 lens. 20 image DNG Focus Stack set made in Camera Pixels to get everything in focus. I found that the first 10 of the 20 images adequately covered the necessary focus range so I didn’t use the last 10. Developed in Affinity Photo in the Focus Stacking module.
What a cool image!

Not with Spectre. It and the iPhone XS do all the work without a tripod. If I use Slow Shutter Cam, I do need a tripod. (I originally tried Spectre on my iPhone 7, and the results showed lots of shake. That all went away when I got the XS, so I gather that Spectre is hooking into something the XS has and the 7 doesn't. I have no idea whether slightly older models like the 8 Plus and the X get good results or not.)
Do you find the XS is much better than the 7 in terms of quality or just has more advanced features? I know you didn’t have the zoom power before which I think makes a big difference but I have that with the 7+. I’m still hanker after having an upgrade but still don’t think I can justify it. I do like a smaller phone and only got the 7+ because of the zoom.

Nice slowmo! Do you find this better than Slow Shutter Cam or does it have different attributes?
They're different. Spectre's big plus is that it really does make it possible to shoot 3 to 9 second exposures handheld (for me, with my iPhone XS). With Slow Shutter Cam, I have to use some kind of tripod or brace unless I'm after an intentional camera movement kind of shot.

On the other hand, Slow Shutter Cam can do shorter exposures (down to 1/8 second) and longer exposures (up to 30 seconds). I find the shorter times are especially useful. Also, SSC allows you to adjust the "freeze" after the shot so you can weight the image toward the starting point or ending point if you want.

Within the 3 to 9 second range, I feel that Spectre does a bit better job of blending things together smoothly, but I haven't done a real side-by-side comparison, so it could just be my imagination.

EDIT: As I mentioned above, Spectre didn't work as well on my 7 as it does on the Xs -- it really needed a tripod -- so I don't know how it would do on a 7 Plus.

Last edited:
Do you find the XS is much better than the 7 in terms of quality or just has more advanced features? I know you didn’t have the zoom power before which I think makes a big difference but I have that with the 7+. I’m still hanker after having an upgrade but still don’t think I can justify it. I do like a smaller phone and only got the 7+ because of the zoom.
Yes, the tele lens on the XS has made the biggest difference for me, and in hand, it feels about the same or only slightly larger than my 7. The images from the XS are better than those from the 7 but not in a knock-your-socks-off way. (I already liked the color and sharpness of the 7.) In particular, I think the stabilization of the XS is an advance on the 7. I suspect there's some power under the hood of the XS that camera app makers are still working on, but that'd also be true if you waited for whatever the next release is.

Back
Top Bottom