MobiColour RESULT: MC #178 Theme: No Theme - June 24-30, 2019

58DB9AC5-2CA5-4BB9-A60D-1A9A2DFECDFE.jpeg

Faux painting of real cliffs
Lightroom, Mextures, Snapseed, iColorama

They're different. Spectre's big plus is that it really does make it possible to shoot 3 to 9 second exposures handheld (for me, with my iPhone XS). With Slow Shutter Cam, I have to use some kind of tripod or brace unless I'm after an intentional camera movement kind of shot.

On the other hand, Slow Shutter Cam can do shorter exposures (down to 1/8 second) and longer exposures (up to 30 seconds). I find the shorter times are especially useful. Also, SSC allows you to adjust the "freeze" after the shot so you can weight the image toward the starting point or ending point if you want.

Within the 3 to 9 second range, I feel that Spectre does a bit better job of blending things together smoothly, but I haven't done a real side-by-side comparison, so it could just be my imagination.

EDIT: As I mentioned above, Spectre didn't work as well on my 7 as it does on the Xs -- it really needed a tripod -- so I don't know how it would do on a 7 Plus.
Bookmarked this for when I finally upgrade. :)

Perhaps you can help me out with this one. I switched to my iPad to see it bigger. I can make out the bee well enough. It could be dead but it looks to be all there. What is the other part that seems so central to the story? It’s placement leads me to believe it is an important part of the story. It appears to be in the direction the bee has just come from. Part of a dead flower?
At first I thought the ground must be a road but then there’s that tuft of grass growing from it so it is probably sand. Or perhaps a cement walkway, since farther back there is an edge, or shadow of an edge, that could be where two square sections of the walkway meet.

Perhaps you can help me out with this one. I switched to my iPad to see it bigger. I can make out the bee well enough. It could be dead but it looks to be all there. What is the other part that seems so central to the story? It’s placement leads me to believe it is an important part of the story. It appears to be in the direction the bee has just come from. Part of a dead flower?
At first I thought the ground must be a road but then there’s that tuft of grass growing from it so it is probably sand. Or perhaps a cement walkway, since farther back there is an edge, or shadow of an edge, that could be where two square sections of the walkway meet.

That’s the other guy

That’s the other guy
That is, in fact, the other guy. Its a crushed, dead snail, stepped on by one of the family, rushing to get out of the rain I imagine. I've got another pic focused on that from the same position. Perhaps I should have spliced them together....
The action is taking place on the path to our front door. This morning the bee was gone, interred by ants I guess. The snail has been munched on by slugs and snails on repeated nights by the look of the dried slime trails. 'Er indoors is outdoors today and the snail has been swept away, in what, I can only assume, is some kind of bleak, existential metaphore.
................edit..........
Instead of talking about doing it, here is the two pics spliced together.
20190629_120857-02.jpeg

Unfortunately, there's a line between the bee and snail that's out of focus on both pics.

Last edited:
That is, in fact, the other guy. Its a crushed, dead snail, stepped on by one of the family, rushing to get out of the rain I imagine. I've got another pic focused on that from the same position. Perhaps I should have spliced them together....
The action is taking place on the path to our front door. This morning the bee was gone, interred by ants I guess. The snail has been munched on by slugs and snails on repeated nights by the look of the dried slime trails. 'Er indoors is outdoors today and the snail has been swept away, in what, I can only assume, is some kind of bleak, existential metaphore.
................edit..........
Instead of talking about doing it, here is the two pics spliced together.
View attachment 146800
Unfortunately, there's a line between the bee and snail that's out of focus on both pics.
Thank you for rounding out the story.
Death and destruction on your walkway but with no known connection between the two events.

I’m often frustrated by the lack of depth of field in cellphone photos, which is why I got interested in focus stacking. The early focus stacking apps didn’t get very far. Some relied on sending your focus stack set of images (in app) to an online server for processing. An insufficient numbers of users caused the server to be unplugged. Of course the Focus Stack set could be easily processed in Photoshop on a desktop computer, but which rendered it a non-mobile image.

Now I am using Camera Pixels as the camera on iPhone. However, there isn’t any way on the iPhone to process focus stacked images. The only mobile solution to processing DNG HDR and Focus Stack sets (with or without DNG) is Affinity Photo (on iPad only), and that is one of the main reasons I bought an iPad. At that time Camera Pixels was not yet available for iPad.

While RoseCat Catherine is away, enjoying herself at the NY Pride march, I’m taking it upon myself to close this challenge and ask Coronation80 Stephen to choose his favourites from this wonderful selection of images. Over to you Stephen.

OK. This is so hard. But I have watched all of these utterly amazing images come in day to day. Everyone is stunning. However for me the following.

3rd place is : NickLeon Nick with "Almshouses" - (great depth of colour)

2nd place is : terse Ted - "Circles"

1st place is: terse Ted - " spinning spinning" (best thing I have seen in an age) Simply put. Amazing x
BFECF66E-1EF6-45DE-89D2-6C686D3BAA5E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. This is so hard. But I have watched all of these utterly amazing images come in day to day. Everyone is stunning. However for me the following.

3rd place is : NickLeon Nick with "Almshouses" - (great depth of colour)

2nd place is : terse Ted - "Circles"

1st place is: terse Ted - " spinning spinning" (best thing I have seen in an age) Simply put. Amazing x
View attachment 146807
Lovely job Stephen and congratulations to Ted! That’s a great image with so much movement. And Ted gets a slap on the back for second place too, with Nick on the podium too in third - well done Nick. What a great week of colour images! Super job everyone. Now, what does terse Ted have for us in the way of a theme. We might have to wait a bit to know because terse Ted is Secretary of the Local Road Association today. I’m intrigued to know what that involves. :lol:

Normally I'd choose a no theme week, but since we just had one...

Let's make the theme Summer -- photos of, appstract impressions of, memories of, whatever interpretation you like. And for those of you in the southern hemisphere, presently facing winter in July ( :confused: ), you can choose your current season as an alternative theme if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom