MobiColour RESULT: MC #180 Theme: Candid Shots - July 8-14, 2019

But clearly there was something special going on this time. You had 10 entries from ME, for cat's sake! :lmao::lmao::lmao:
Would still like an explanation, cats (and I love em) are great, but people in all their bizzare, normal, every day ways are fascinating too, and never more when "candid"??? I'm confused by the kick back on it? Truly..

Would still like an explanation, cats (and I love em) are great, but people in all their bizzare, normal, every day ways are fascinating too, and never more when "candid"??? I'm confused by the kick back on it? Truly..
What Ted said, photos of strangers are difficult for a lot of us, especially if you don't live in a city etc. The amount of entries was very good for a people theme. Folk like rizole and sdimbour excel at this type of thing, sadly a lot of us struggle. It was a good week, esp for Ted's 10 entries ;)

OK guys. First thanks for indulging my "candid thang"
I think it is because in my every day job, working with cancer patients, I see so many amazing folks that I clearly can't take shots of! But would love too. What a pictural story it could tell!
Anyway, aside from that: there where two folks who inspired my love of "candid" this week, amongst a myriad of fantastic shots, and they are:
First Place : Rizole - "Colour Run in the park #3"
View attachment 147253
Second Place: Jilly G - "Eating"
View attachment 147252
Third Place: Rizole - "Corner seat"
View attachment 147254
Excellent choices Stephen! rizole's image is a stunner, and it looks fabulous hanging in the Gallery HERE. :D Congrats Riz on the 1st & 3rd win!
JillyG's image is one of my all-time faves... well done lady!

OK guys. First thanks for indulging my "candid thang"
I think it is because in my every day job, working with cancer patients, I see so many amazing folks that I clearly can't take shots of! But would love too. What a pictural story it could tell!
Anyway, aside from that: there where two folks who inspired my love of "candid" this week, amongst a myriad of fantastic shots, and they are:
First Place : Rizole - "Colour Run in the park #3"
View attachment 147253
Second Place: Jilly G - "Eating"
View attachment 147252
Third Place: Rizole - "Corner seat"
View attachment 147254
Thank you Stephen for my second place - I’m so honoured to be sandwiched between rizole Rizole. :lol: His image of the Colour Run was such an amazing one - I love that direct gaze. And when I look at his image that came third, I forget that he was there behind that couple, clicking away - I think that’s an art in itself; making the viewer forget about the photographer. Lovely work from everyone who posted this week. I’ve loved seeing lots of people in the challenge. More! More!

For me taking candid pics in the street is a more complex social equation than many other forms of photography. A lot of photography is about light, composition, lines, shapes, movements, ect. People photography is that with a whole bunch of social baggage in real time on top of it. Do I ask permission? Do I do it secretly? Can what I'm doing be seen as culturally, sexually or personally offensive/ invasive? How do I calm down this angry man and explain why I have a camera pointed where he thinks it shouldn't be?
You don't get any of that taking pictures of landscapes or cats which makes people photography a harder job to me.
Plus, having a full time job and family, I often have to take photos when the opportunity arises. If I'm off photographing people I prefer to take my time and warm into it and don't always have the chance.
I say don't be discouraged by themes that get fewer responses. Sometimes people are just busy and a week isn't always enough time to get everyone on board, sometimes this lot ( :whistle: ) need to step out of their comfort zones and sometimes a theme just might not resonate with people.

It's the process that's important in my opinion, not the results.

I thoroughly agree. But I do also think that candid shots of people is a niche that not every photographer is comfortable with, me included. I like to be stealthy when I make images of people, and I’m also a bit OCD with composing, so those two things don’t necessarily come hand in hand. I usually try to pretend I’m looking at an email or something but secretly trying to get the shot. :lol: There are many gifted street photographers who make it seem easy. I’ve practiced it a bit and it just doesn’t come easily to me.

Location can be a factor too... the last few years I mostly shoot in outdoor, rural places. And even when I was shooting often in New York City, over the past 8 years that I’ve done mobile photography I have only a handful of people shots.

Last edited:
People photography is that with a whole bunch of social baggage in real time on top of it. Do I ask permission? Do I do it secretly? Can what I'm doing be seen as culturally, sexually or personally offensive/ invasive? How do I calm down this angry man and explain why I have a camera pointed where he thinks it shouldn't be?
Absolutely. Well said, Rizole. This is mainly why I don’t photograph people very often.

I say don't be discouraged by themes that get fewer responses. Sometimes people are just busy and a week isn't always enough time to get everyone on board, sometimes this lot ( :whistle: ) need to step out of their comfort zones and sometimes a theme just might not resonate with people.

It's the process that's important in my opinion, not the results.
Yes indeed!

And honestly, Coronation80 Stephen, I think there was a really good amount of candid people shots considering that many of us don’t have too many of that genre. I’d say last week’s theme was a smashing success! :thumbs: And as Rizole said, sometimes we need to step out of our comfort zones, so I appreciate that you chose a theme that helped some of us do that. :)

Great images this week and good points in the postmortem discussion :thumbs:

Bravo rizole, JillyG and, er, rizole !

And kudos terse : ten images from someone who’s mildly phobic for whom people photography isn’t intuitive is :thumbs::notworthy::thumbs:
(Nottomention they were ten bloody good people photographs)

Thanks to Coronation80 for a challenging theme and for kicking off that interesting little post- conversation !

Great images this week and good points in the postmortem discussion :thumbs:

Bravo rizole, JillyG and, er, rizole !

And kudos terse : ten images from someone who’s mildly phobic for whom people photography isn’t intuitive is :thumbs::notworthy::thumbs:
(Nottomention they were ten bloody good people photographs)

Thanks to Coronation80 for a challenging theme and for kicking off that interesting little post- conversation !
Cheers. Like us all there is a passion behind my questioning. I appreciate everything that has been said. And yes post event conversations are healthy.

Back
Top Bottom