MobiColour RESULT: MC #182 Theme: No Theme - July 22-28, 2019

Beautiful images. And how is it mosquito hoards appear so suddenly? One day we’re taking a nice stroll along out favorite trail, the next day we’re jogging back to the car before we even get to the trail.
They hold back at first to give you a false sense of security. Then when you have stopped thinking about them, they descend en masse.

I saw a post on FB the other day about a guy who swatted a mosquito and had a closer look at it because he could see red but it had not yet bitten him. In a macro photo he could see 10 or so tiny red mites sucking the mosquito’s blood.

So today I started paying attention to any mosquitoes I swatted and sure enough, one out of the 5 I looked at had about 10 tiny red mites. The others had none. I’m curious how widespread this is.

I’ve seen mites on other bigger insects before but something as small as a mosquito doesn’t have much space. I would think the mosquito must have felt the extra weight of the freeloaders. Beyond that I’m not sure what to think about mites on mosquitoes. I don’t think it represents and extra danger for people but I’m not sure.

They hold back at first to give you a false sense of security. Then when you have stopped thinking about them, they descend en masse.

I saw a post on FB the other day about a guy who swatted a mosquito and had a closer look at it because he could see red but it had not yet bitten him. In a macro photo he could see 10 or so tiny red mites sucking the mosquito’s blood.

So today I started paying attention to any mosquitoes I swatted and sure enough, one out of the 5 I looked at had about 10 tiny red mites. The others had none. I’m curious how widespread this is.

I’ve seen mites on other bigger insects before but something as small as a mosquito doesn’t have much space. I would think the mosquito must have felt the extra weight of the freeloaders. Beyond that I’m not sure what to think about mites on mosquitoes. I don’t think it represents and extra danger for people but I’m not sure.
Very interesting.....I believe I can find a mosquito or two to swat today. I’ll have to break out the magnifying glass to see any mites, though.

Interesting. Big fleas have little fleas and all that.

A lovely collection of images this week, with so many themes! I loved browsing through them all again. :) This week the winner was pretty obvious for me...

First place to JillyG Jilly for "Safe Hands" - this image jumps out of my computer screen every time I scroll past - so full of heart and compassion, the wisdom and beauty of those hands... gazing at it almost brought tears to my eyes.
View attachment 147703

Second place to rizole for his second image in the series "2D Textures" - I just love this type of found abstract. Perfect composition, shapes and colors.

View attachment 147705

Third place to jsi John for ". . . The Stairway to Heaven Redux . . ."
- Wonderful minimal composition!
View attachment 147704

HMs to everyone else, with special mentions to GroovyGouvy "Down The Mall" - such a great composition! And in addition, I see at least 4 other fab abstracts within it; terse Ted "Fixer-upper" - and not only because I dream of being a Van Lifer :whistle: ; Coronation80 Stephen's "Harbour Festival" with it's riotous & chaotic bursts of color that just works! and "Pelican Brief" - I just love all the angles/lines that the pipes, ropes and chains make, and how the Pelican's beak mimics those lines; rizole "Water feature" - love the composition and low angle; deepop David's "Plain ol' flowers" - those vibrant colors are anything but plain! WELL DONE EVERYONE!! :inlove:
What? I turn my back for a few moments (okay three days) and find I’ve won the colour challenge. It was so unexpected that I went away to somewhere without wifi. We’re never doing that again! I’m so sorry to keep you waiting for a theme. Companions. Things that go together and happily live side by side. I leave it to you all to decide how to interpret Companions. I know (I hope) there’ll be things coming from left field that surprise, delight and amuse. Now it’s up to you!

Back
Top Bottom