Tryptich
20190219_131541-01.jpeg

A few photos from the history side of the Museum of Art & History:

69C5289C-0864-4757-ABAD-C524D080755B.jpeg

Apple growing and packing were big in mid-county:

D84C0693-D343-411E-978A-B62E296741BB.jpeg

A niche devoted to the Californios of the Spanish/Mexican period:

964F6D16-B6FC-483F-9909-2CF24BC6DC73.jpeg

Looks more like county fair exhibits than a museum, but that's how it is.
Lightroom, Photos

PS - Explanation of "Californios" from Wikipedia:

The term Californio (historical, regional Spanish for 'Californian') was originally applied to the Spanish-speaking residents of Las Californias during the periods of Spanish Californiaand Mexican California, between 1683 and 1848. The first Californios were the children of the early Spanish military expeditions into northern reaches of the Californias which established the presidios of California and subsequently allowed for the foundation of the California mission system.[3] Later, the primary cultural focus of the Californio population became the Vaquero tradition practiced by the landed gentry which received land grantscreating the Rancho system.[4] In the 1820s-40s, American and European settlers increasingly came to Mexican California, married Californio women, and became Mexican citizens, learning Spanish and often converting to Catholicism, and are often also considered Californios, for their adherence to Californio language and culture.​

Think "Zorro"

Ronnies Sex Shop - it’s not really a museum per se but it could be considered an exhibition of sorts!

This chap named his cafe/bar to attract tourists. It’s not really a sex shop. And again it’s in the middle of the Karoo with nothing around it.

5C5A12B7-48B8-4FB6-8DA2-E91DFFB4661C.jpeg

61F829D5-2192-468E-974A-981A04B09641.jpeg

Snapseed

Ronnies Sex Shop - it’s not really a museum per se but it could be considered an exhibition of sorts!

This chap named his cafe/bar to attract tourists. It’s not really a sex shop. And again it’s in the middle of the Karoo with nothing around it.

View attachment 156003
View attachment 156004
Snapseed
was going to say 'love the in your face colours' but maybe not appropriate in this case :lol:

A few photos from the history side of the Museum of Art & History:

View attachment 155983

Apple growing and packing were big in mid-county:

View attachment 155985

A niche devoted to the Californios of the Spanish/Mexican period:

View attachment 155984

Looks more like county fair exhibits than a museum, but that's how it is.
Lightroom, Photos

PS - Explanation of "Californios" from Wikipedia:

The term Californio (historical, regional Spanish for 'Californian') was originally applied to the Spanish-speaking residents of Las Californias during the periods of Spanish Californiaand Mexican California, between 1683 and 1848. The first Californios were the children of the early Spanish military expeditions into northern reaches of the Californias which established the presidios of California and subsequently allowed for the foundation of the California mission system.[3] Later, the primary cultural focus of the Californio population became the Vaquero tradition practiced by the landed gentry which received land grantscreating the Rancho system.[4] In the 1820s-40s, American and European settlers increasingly came to Mexican California, married Californio women, and became Mexican citizens, learning Spanish and often converting to Catholicism, and are often also considered Californios, for their adherence to Californio language and culture.​

Think "Zorro"
I love it.
No shaking hands with Uncle Sam in these times... fist bumps only.
Love the apple crates!

Odd bits from MAH

72F26B9B-988E-49C0-8B23-3318E1772F96.jpeg

One of the costumes worn (and created) by The Great Morgani, street accordion player. Worn with a full body stocking that covers his face as well.

87BE3A9C-587D-4A59-AEAD-020CEC136F67.jpeg

Memorabilia of WOMBATS, the Women's Mountain Bike and Tea Society, founded in the 1980s. (Yes that's a rat on the t-shirt, not a wombat. They got it right on the patch, though.)

Odd bits from MAH

View attachment 156044

One of the costumes worn (and created) by The Great Morgani, street accordion player. Worn with a full body stocking that covers his face as well.

View attachment 156043

Memorabilia of WOMBATS, the Women's Mountain Bike and Tea Society, founded in the 1980s. (Yes that's a rat on the t-shirt, not a wombat. They got it right on the patch, though.)
Love that t-shirt! :D

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these very weird times... :alien: :inlove:
lkbside Leslie, whenever you're ready to choose your favorite(s), it's all yours!

I loved seeing the wide variety of museums everyone visits.

Huge kudos to terse for a peek into those tiny Santa Cruz museums. When we all can travel again I'm definitely putting Santa Cruz on the bucket list.

And I will say at the outset that deepop ran away with it this week with the wide variety of his photos, but I'm spreading the accolades:

First - deepop for his Cleveland Museum of Art Parking Structure photo. Light, shadow, lines... a perfect highlight of how the mundane architectural elements of museums can be as interesting (or more so) than their current exhibitions. I grew up in Ohio and remember that museum being just fabulous.
AE71753B-3B99-489C-A3DB-54CFF6A046BC.jpeg

Second - sinnerjohn for Lady Grinning Soul. Perfect catch of the Mona Lisa in the phone camera of one of the observers in the packed gallery. It is just crazy how people feel the need to snap photos in such a moment - to prove you were there? Wouldn't buying a postcard from the gift shop be a better idea? It may be awhile before we see something like this museum scene again so let's remember the good times.
2020-03-10 08.50.22 2.jpg

Third - JillyG for Operating Theater - Complete with blood on the sheets! I just love those quirky exhibits in history museums.
E43AC463-F828-4CE0-B0DF-35342765301A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom