MobiColour RESULT: MC #214 Theme: Museums - March 9-15, 2020

I loved seeing the wide variety of museums everyone visits.

Huge kudos to terse for a peek into those tiny Santa Cruz museums. When we all can travel again I'm definitely putting Santa Cruz on the bucket list.

And I will say at the outset that deepop ran away with it this week with the wide variety of his photos, but I'm spreading the accolades:

First - deepop for his Cleveland Museum of Art Parking Structure photo. Light, shadow, lines... a perfect highlight of how the mundane architectural elements of museums can be as interesting (or more so) than their current exhibitions. I grew up in Ohio and remember that museum being just fabulous.
View attachment 156084

Second - sinnerjohn for Lady Grinning Soul. Perfect catch of the Mona Lisa in the phone camera of one of the observers in the packed gallery. It is just crazy how people feel the need to snap photos in such a moment - to prove you were there? Wouldn't buying a postcard from the gift shop be a better idea? It may be awhile before we see something like this museum scene again so let's remember the good times.
View attachment 156083

Third - JillyG for Operating Theater - Complete with blood on the sheets! I just love those quirky exhibits in history museums.
View attachment 156085
Congrats deepop David! A striking image and well deserved win.
Fist bumps to sinnerjohn John and JillyG Jilly!!
And yes, thanks terse Ted for the wonderful walk through Santa Cruz... I can hardly wait to visit someday.

Ahhh, I wish I was there. Santa Cruz looks like the kind of place I could live happily. :hearteyes:

every SC image Ted posts i feel that kind of longing for the colourful, the quirky, the kindof off-beat my home port-city of Fremantle approached at one point, before its ‘edginess’ was named and therefore invented/coopted by ‘edgy’ Gen Xers who did 1/2 million$ transformations of warehouses into edgy apartments and flooded the streets with tiny edgy brand art galleries and massive edgy designer breweries-cum-function centres and endless rotating [tiny edgy brand] coffee places with cryptic names, and mismatched sofas and bicycles and mason jars hanging from the ceilings....

I could go on :alien: Decency forbids.

Maybe it’s a population + distribution thing, but what little I’ve seen of SC makes me wonder if it’s pulled off the demographic mix better than a lot of coastal cities have.

And if it was here in Au rather than there in the US I reckon I could see out my days there quite happily :)

Huge kudos to terse for a peek into those tiny Santa Cruz museums. When we all can travel again I'm definitely putting Santa Cruz on the bucket list.

And I will say at the outset that deepop ran away with it this week with the wide variety of his photos, but I'm spreading the accolades:

First - deepop for his Cleveland Museum of Art Parking Structure photo. Light, shadow, lines... a perfect highlight of how the mundane architectural elements of museums can be as interesting (or more so) than their current exhibitions. I grew up in Ohio and remember that museum being just fabulous.

Second - sinnerjohn for Lady Grinning Soul. Perfect catch of the Mona Lisa in the phone camera of one of the observers in the packed gallery. It is just crazy how people feel the need to snap photos in such a moment - to prove you were there? Wouldn't buying a postcard from the gift shop be a better idea? It may be awhile before we see something like this museum scene again so let's remember the good times.

Third - JillyG for Operating Theater - Complete with blood on the sheets! I just love those quirky exhibits in history museums.

thanks Leslie for a theme that took me to museums the likes of which I have never seen! Talk about armchair tourism :D

thanks & congrats to deepop sinnerjohn & JillyG :thumbs:

(And terse Ted looks like you & Lorraine will need to build on an additional bathroom. Me, RoseCat — maybe JillyG . . . and I’d have to bring Djanga, Molly Marmalade and Lai. And my husband. (Millie doesn’t travel). I don’t know who else...? we could all bring a THOW, but still - definitely another bathroom. )

View attachment 156084

View attachment 156083

View attachment 156085
Oooh, thanks Leslie, I wasn’t expecting a placement when there were so many wonderful images this week. Congratulations to deepop David - that’s another of your fantastic abstract architectural images. :notworthy: And sinnerjohn John’s image is the perfect example of getting the right shot at the right time - super.

View attachment 156084

View attachment 156083

View attachment 156085
Congrats deepop David, your architecture shots are always stunning. Thanks Leslie for my 2nd, that shot was a happy accident btw!!
Yay to JillyG and terse too :thumbs:

every SC image Ted posts i feel that kind of longing for the colourful, the quirky, the kindof off-beat my home port-city of Fremantle approached at one point, before its ‘edginess’ was named and therefore invented/coopted by ‘edgy’ Gen Xers who did 1/2 million$ transformations of warehouses into edgy apartments and flooded the streets with tiny edgy brand art galleries and massive edgy designer breweries-cum-function centres and endless rotating [tiny edgy brand] coffee places with cryptic names, and mismatched sofas and bicycles and mason jars hanging from the ceilings....

I could go on :alien: Decency forbids.

Maybe it’s a population + distribution thing, but what little I’ve seen of SC makes me wonder if it’s pulled off the demographic mix better than a lot of coastal cities have.
I wish, but no, Santa Cruz hasn't pulled off the demographic mix better than other coastal cities have. Your description of Fremantle today sounds very much like SC today. Plus it's one of the two or three least affordable counties in California (if you haven't been here for a long time like we have).

That's photography for you: You don't get to see everything, only the parts I find interesting. :D

View attachment 156084

View attachment 156083

View attachment 156085
Well done and well-deserved deepop! :notworthy: Congrats to sinnerjohn and JillyG, too. And thanks for the kudos, lkbside. I'll have to work up a schedule of open hours if you visit so that you can actually get inside those places. (And I didn't even get to the Boardwalk museum, the San Lorenzo Valley Historical Museum, or the Bigfoot Discovery Project Museum.)

Back
Top Bottom