MobiColour RESULT: MC #218 Theme: Look Again - April 20-26, 2020

I shot this rocky shoreline in the winter when it was coated with ice, so I thought I’d look again to see what it was like with a storm looking (that never happened). iPhone XS Max, Halide, Lumibee.
FB3EA79D-5F60-42DD-9376-720C9BF88EE3.jpeg

Does seem like I'm out of ideas, right?... :oops:
Let's go with no theme...:D

Don’t pay any attention to John. We pay him to come up with this stuff so that we don’t get too agreeable and complacent. It’s a tough gig, but someone has to do it. ‘Look again’ is a great theme - and as you say very fitting unto the moment.

My sister has olive trees just outside her little complex and I decided I hadn’t had a good look at them. Boy do they have olives! I was wondering if we should try and use them but the curing process seems quite long and involved.
View attachment 157023
Wow, they look good. Yes, I’ve got a book about olives and it includes how to make them edible. When I look at the ingredients I wonder why I eat them at all. The curing stuff is evil. It would be easier to make olive oil.

So you don't just pull them off the tree and eat them? :eek:
Well, if you did you’d be spitting them out really quickly. They taste disgusting straight off the tree. They have to go through days of processing before they’re even remotely edible. They soak in this stuff called Lye, which is also used to make soap. It’s disgusting stuff and, I think, caustic because it breaks down cell membranes (I think - don’t quote me).

Well, if you did you’d be spitting them out really quickly. They taste disgusting straight off the tree. They have to go through days of processing before they’re even remotely edible. They soak in this stuff called Lye, which is also used to make soap. It’s disgusting stuff and, I think, caustic because it breaks down cell membranes (I think - don’t quote me).
Everyday's an edukayshun. :D Oh and the green and black, while we are at it, are they different varieties or just at different stages of ripeness?

Everyday's an edukayshun. :D Oh and the green and black, while we are at it, are they different varieties or just at different stages of ripeness?
Different stages of ripeness, although there are loads of different varieties of olive. One thing to note is that Italy doesn’t produce enough olive oil for it’s population, so they have to import olives from other countries and then they label it as Italian because it’s made in Italy and then they export it. If you want to buy oil from the country that grows and makes it, Spanish olive oil is the one to go for. Btw, I‘m not getting royalties. :lmao:

Last edited:
They soak in this stuff called Lye, which is also used to make soap. It’s disgusting stuff and, I think, caustic because it breaks down cell membranes (I think - don’t quote me).
Definitely caustic. People sometimes use it to clean drains, although it's hard on the pipes. There are ways to cure olives without lye, though.

Definitely caustic. People sometimes use it to clean drains, although it's hard on the pipes. There are ways to cure olives without lye, though.

Maybe Ann could try one of those recipes - but not the water one, because that will only work on green olives. :thumbs: Certainly the recipe using lye is quicker to produce edible olives, but ...:tongueclosed:

WHAT?!?! How did I not know that? I love olives, but I don’t think I’ll be eating them any more. :fearscream:
Well, they get washed and washed so that the lye is removed, so I think they’re okay to eat.

That’s good to know... but I can see it being difficult to determine how the olives have been cured (especially those in the salad bar area of grocery stores.*)

*Well, if we ever have salad bars again.....

Back
Top Bottom