MobiColour RESULT: MC #218 Theme: Look Again - April 20-26, 2020

A bit harsh Catherine, the Mediterranean peoples have eaten them for centuries surely and they have one of the best diets.
Sorry... lye is poison. Not going to put that in my body, no matter how many centuries people have been doing it.

Well, they get washed and washed so that the lye is removed, so I think they’re okay to eat.
They’ve got lots of salt too, so it’s probably for the best, health wise, not to eat them. For me, anyway. I’m still shocked that lye is used. Such a horrible, toxic chemical. That’s why I don’t use “regular” soap.

IMG_20200423_073200.jpg

Telegraph - something I take pictures of quite often, this was from this morning though.

We have miles and miles of hiking trails outside our door since we live adjacent to a preserved wilderness area and the Santa Fe National Forest. I figured I’d seen about everything in the immediate area, but look what I found today down in an arroyo a mile or so from our house.
hipsta
1DBB80CC-7BD8-4182-AA29-922333B0FB70.jpeg

View attachment 157058
Fish Huts Hastings - I was reminded of these after looking at camperbc's latest post. These are the old fishermen's huts at Hastings UK ( I mean the huts are old not the fisherman :lol: ) Last posted in b/w but hey I've looked again !
They’re amazing aren’t they? I wonder why they need to be so tall with some sort of thing for a pulley.

View attachment 157058
Fish Huts Hastings - I was reminded of these after looking at camperbc's latest post. These are the old fishermen's huts at Hastings UK ( I mean the huts are old not the fisherman :lol: ) Last posted in b/w but hey I've looked again !
Oooo... I'd love to see the inside! Are they stacked on top of each other... they seem awfully tall. But then the bottom and middle sections wouldn't have a slanted roof if you took the 3 sections apart. :confused:

We have miles and miles of hiking trails outside our door since we live adjacent to a preserved wilderness area and the Santa Fe National Forest. I figured I’d seen about everything in the immediate area, but look what I found today down in an arroyo a mile or so from our house.
hipsta
View attachment 157062
Nice!! One of my dream homes is a tree house... (but with a roof, of course ;) )

That’s good to know... but I can see it being difficult to determine how the olives have been cured (especially those in the salad bar area of grocery stores.*)

*Well, if we ever have salad bars again.....

I did not know that lye was used to cure olives. My port city was largely settled by Italian fishermen. Olive trees everywhere - so if you don’t have a tree (we do) you can easily keep yourself in olives from all the roadside, park side, every side trees ! I have cured olives (only black) via ‘change plain water every day for two weeks, then change salt water once a week for six weeks’ or somesuch — I just recall that it took a very long time. Nice olives at the end. Though I messed up a bit with sealing them up in olive oil instead of brine.

Then. The 96 yo mother of an Italian colleague scoffed and waved her hands about and (approx translation) ‘heaven’s sake just dump them in a tub of salt water for six weeks, rinse them off and put them in jars’.

next lot of olives much less complicated, just as good. Apparently you vary the strength of the brine to taste.

Something a little different, but a view I pass frequently at the moment without thinking too much about it as it is so close to home...
FEFE14FA-7A88-43EE-A290-E77C69DAD957.jpeg

However it might interest some to know that the wooded hill in the background is Cadbury Castle, a Bronze and Iron Age hill fort recorded by the traveller John Leland. In 1542 he claimed this to be the site of King Arthur’s Camelot, possibly because the River Cam is close by. On firmer ground there is some evidence that the site was stormed by the Romans in their push west after the invasion in 43AD, and the Roman general in charge was Vespasian, builder of the Coloseum.

Usual iPhone XS plus Snapseed.

Back
Top Bottom